Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-02-06 21:46:39

els

Re: [howto] Discuss closing this forum and moving all relevant posts to TextBook

hakjoon wrote:

I’m going to try and get it setup this weekend.

Still, wouldn’t it mean duplicate efforts if forum posts are moved to MediaWiki first, and then to DokuWiki?

#14 2008-02-07 02:12:28

hakjoon
Website

Re: [howto] Discuss closing this forum and moving all relevant posts to TextBook

Yes. Ideally I wanted to come up with migration script, but that will probably make things take longer. Bert is doing a pretty quick job with the Tag pages so the way I see it we can make Doku the official and interwiki link to textbook until stuff is migrated over.

Last edited by hakjoon (2008-02-07 02:14:18)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#15 2008-02-07 22:57:00

els

OK, send me a login when the dokuwiki install is up :)

#16 2008-08-26 13:47:29

Destry
Website

I guess I’m still catching up; finding threads of relevance I didn’t know existed…

Eventually, not right away, I could help with migrating topics to the wiki too, but this thread is a tad old, Mary has taken indefinite sabbatical, and so I don’t really know what the aim is currently.

Personally, I follow Mary’s logic and think all documentation-like content should be organized in the wiki (by result, unnecessary forums can be removed for simplifying the forum interface, theoretically). Naturally the wiki needs (and is getting) structural changes but is this content move from forum to wiki still the aim? If not, I won’t bother moving anything.

#17 2008-08-26 14:14:38

renobird
Website

thebombsite wrote:

Fair enough, though I still think that the “How to” forum is far more accessible here particularly to new users and anyone doing a search of the forum.

Agreed. Personally it seems a waste of energy to be moving stuff, just open the How-To forum up again and leave it here.
I have referred to the how-to forum time-and-time again over the years…most recently Dale’s post on building a client section.

1 vote for reopening this forum.

#18 2008-08-27 15:39:58

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

To expand my reasoning for keeping the “How to” forum open:

Certainly for my own part, as a fairly experienced user of TXP, I only really go to Textbook to check out stuff in the tag reference. If I need to work out how to do something I’d rather work it out for myself so I know what I’ve done and why it works. For a new user that method could well be quite daunting and maybe even off-putting so the first place they come to look is the forum. It’s simply the big meeting place where everything is discussed.

That discussion is important because if you look through many of the “How to’s” they start off with someone’s idea of how to do something, then someone else will chip in with a bit of a modification, then someone else etc. etc. so that the original code evolves and becomes more efficient, fewer tags, fewer conditionals, added results. I don’t believe that this kind of evolution will happen if these threads are moved to Textbook.

Now I hear some people saying that this is exactly what a wiki is for and I wouldn’t disagree, but it won’t happen simply because people prefer to come to the forum for discussion. Doesn’t matter a hoot what you say the wiki can or can’t do. If people don’t go there it won’t happen.

Further to that the “How to” forum has now been closed for several months “because it is being moved to Textbook” but I don’t see any movement. In the meantime we have had nowhere to put “How to’s” either in this forum or Textbook. Not a good situation methinks.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#19 2008-08-27 15:58:19

renobird
Website

Stuart,

Well said. I completely agree. Textbook is definitely not friendly to new/non-tech/casual users.
Hell, it can be daunting for experienced users too (read: me). Like you, I generally only use it for the tag reference.

What I don’t understand is the idea of “this stuff belongs in the wiki, so we’re closing this forum until we move it there (someday)”.
If the wiki is truly a better home (I’m still not convinced) that’s great, but leave the existing how-to forum active until such time that everything can be moved in a timely manner.

Leaving things in limbo doesn’t help anyone.

#20 2008-08-29 13:17:55

Destry
Website

I’m not an enforcer, just a voice like you. And on this matter I honestly don’t care one way or the other. I also don’t have any authority in the forum so I can’t help you there either (in case there was any doubt).

In fact, it seems to me since Mary left there’s been a serious lack of forum management. Posts seem to be in any forum of no relevance, topics are wayward (um…), requests for relocation unanswered by moderators, completely useless search engine (where is that great search tool by wilshire, again?). If things keep up, the forum will be about as useful as the wiki (at the moment).

Last edited by Destry (2008-08-29 13:18:51)

#21 2008-08-29 13:35:30

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

There is a ‘report’ button at the bottom-right corner of every post that can be used to report things that are not right. Those reports are handled.
The search engine is crap, but has always been crap as far as I remember, so that’s nothing new.
No need for doomsday scenario’s, I think.

#22 2008-08-29 14:16:55

Destry
Website

A yes, report button. What else does one need…besides that great forum search-marklet wilshire one provided once upon a time. Still would like to get that again if anyone knows where to track it.

#23 2008-08-29 14:32:54

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

The Google advises me to visit this place as the #1 spot. Is that what you were looking for?

#24 2008-09-17 20:35:40

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

I’ve moved this topic and made it sticky instead of the older topic

Board footer