Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2007-11-26 16:54:49

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Updated search and pagination

Hi Mary,

When I visit this forum, it’s from a bookmark that contains many forum links. I find forums to be the most valuable resource in any Open Source project, so you can imagine all the tabs that get opened up in Firefox when I go visiting.

In the tab that the TxP forum is opened, I only see Search results.., kind of hard to determine what forum that tab belongs to. A couple of things would remedy this, either a favicon.ico or the wording to be switched in the title, like Textpattern Support Forum – Search results, which is the norm on a default PunBB install.

Thanks.

#26 2007-11-26 19:13:06

els

Er… Bert, when I have multiple tabs open (pages of this forum), all I would see then is Textpattern Support For… Textpattern Support For… Textpattern Support For… ;)
But the favicon.ico would be nice.

#27 2007-11-27 07:23:29

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

“show your posts” order has broken again.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#28 2007-11-28 01:56:58

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Els,

I’ve gotten used to entering a PunBB forum via the Show new posts since last visit link. With all the tabs I have open, all I see are Search results …, no hint of what’s underneath the tab. Now if you keep the order of the tabs constant, then it’s not an issue, it’s when you move stuff around that all of a sudden …

#29 2007-11-28 22:13:51

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

“show your posts” order has broken again.

Erm, no it’s not? Works fine for me, plus nothing has been changed since I last posted here. ?

#30 2007-11-29 08:31:50

colak
Admin

Hi Mary, this is what I see from my end using ff2.0.0.10/mac. The screenshot is from the centre of the page where you can see some threads which have no new posts in them before the ones which have been ‘updated’.

Yiannis
——————————

#31 2007-11-29 16:06:48

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Yiannis, they are (and have always been) ordered by the post time, not how many new replies there are. If that’s how it appeared to you before, it was pure coincidence.

Last edited by Mary (2007-11-29 16:07:13)

#32 2007-11-29 16:18:27

colak
Admin

Hi Mary, I agree that they always appeared by post time. What this meant was that latest commented posts were appearing on the top and the rest below. As you can see from the screenshot, the blue dot, signifying new posts, appears on the top and the bottom meaning that the ‘undotted’ posts in between, are ones posted earlier to the bottom one.

Last edited by colak (2007-11-29 16:19:33)

Yiannis
——————————

#33 2007-11-30 15:00:27

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

The blue dot signifies post you personally haven’t read.

#34 2007-11-30 15:31:50

colak
Admin

Firstly allow me to apologise regarding being insistent on this:)

I agree with you re blue dots.
How the particular option used to be was that it ordered the threads based on the time/date of the latest post within those threads. Now, it seems that it orders them on the creation date of the thread or the date the user first posted within that thread.

This is how I tested…

Clicked on “Show your posts”. Currently it returned 98 pages for me. I went to page 98, last post and posted there.
Reclicked on “Show your posts” and my latest post was still on page 98 with the blue dot next to it.

What this means: If I want to follow some of the threads I posted in, I would need to click each one of the pages in the pagination to figure out which ones include new comments…

I know I am stretching it and that the rest of the options are enough but that was a shortcut link I used regularly:)

Yiannis
——————————

#35 2007-11-30 15:57:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote:

Now, it seems that it orders them on the creation date of the thread or the date the user first posted within that thread.

I spotted that too: Like you, I always used Profile->Show All Posts as a shortcut filter to see who had replied most recently to the posts I’d written in/started/was subscribed to.

After the recent changes I figured the “new” way of showing the results (i.e. with excerpts like those of a regular search) was how it was supposed to have been all along; the fact it used to give a neat list of bulleted posts in most-recent-replies-at-the-top order was an unexpected bonus.

I’ve now switched over to using ‘show new posts since last visit’ and trawl through that instead. Bit more to take in, but probably how I should have been doing it all along :-)

Last edited by Bloke (2007-11-30 15:58:51)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#36 2007-11-30 16:24:37

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote:

I always used Profile->Show All Posts as a shortcut filter to see who had replied most recently to the posts I’d written in/started/was subscribed to.

In fact you are making a good point here as I always used the nickname>Show all posts to locate and confirm posts from spammers.

Last edited by colak (2007-11-30 16:25:49)

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer