Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2007-03-14 22:38:09

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: Textpattern Templates

Ok, I have here some sort of quasi draft sceleton . ( Unfinished ) I have to convert it from markdown to wikisyntax somehow , before I can port it over.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#14 2007-03-15 00:39:16

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

marios wrote:

Ok, I have here some sort of quasi draft sceleton .

Well, it seems too complicated. I was thinking of prefacing the names we’ve come to get used to with the template’s name:

• Pages:
    • kubrick_default
    • kubrick_error_default
  • Forms:
    • kubrick_default
    • kubrick_comments
    • kubrick_footer
    • kubrick_sidebar
  • Style:
    • kubrick_default

I don’t think we’re going to get name clashes and I don’t really care if my initials are in it, like the plugins are. Honestly, the plugin naming convention is quite confusing, for the longest time I thought rss_superarchive was about RSS feeds.

#15 2007-03-15 06:11:12

mapu

I guess Bert is right. The file names are easier to read and understand like that.

#16 2007-03-15 07:55:40

NeilA
Website

Can I just say guys – as a non-designer – this is a most encouraging and valuable development!

I am very dependant on the templates available for TXP. I can tweak and adapt, but I don’t really have the knowledge to design sites from the ground up.
Having a system that is built around this plugin and Marcus’s efforts is just fantastic!

One of the biggest advantages is that the system maintains the ‘standard’ format of pages, forms, etc and does not rely on bundling them all up in a custom file format of some kind.

I wonder what other template porters and designers think? In particular, it would be a great thing to get Stuart of thebombsite on board with these developments.

My thanks and all encouragement to Marcus and Bert!

Cheers

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#17 2007-03-15 08:12:11

marios
Archived Plugin Author

hcgtv wrote:

marios wrote:

Ok, I have here some sort of quasi draft sceleton.

Well, it seems too complicated. I was thinking of prefacing the names we’ve come to get used to with the template’s name:

Remember, this is just a working draft. It is the quintessecnce of my own experiences and verifications that can of course not be the base for a final draft.

I will add all the proposals that are done to the draft, as to have a gathering of all those.

hcgtv wrote:

I don’t think we’re going to get name clashes and I don’t really care if my initials are in it, like the plugins are. Honestly, the plugin naming convention is quite confusing, for the longest time I thought rss_superarchive was about RSS feeds.

Why did I propose the three digit prefix code ? Let me explain:

For large template sets ( mine has about 30 forms ) , it doesn’t make sense, to write 30 times the same thing, but still it makes sense, to have the file identify it self somehow, as to which template or author it belongs, so the prefix si shorthand makes sense.

It also makes it easier sortable that way and distinguishable from the txp default forms.

Reading your post above, which is about multiple templates in one install, it makes big sense though, to have the template name in the file.

Also, is there really someone outthere, who doesn’t understand the plugin creator index ?

Another good point to consider:

The file type delimiter. ( You can not perform an import session, if this isn’t present )

Yesterday I started to play with Omnigraffle a little which is apart from the best Tool for prototying and wireframing also nice for diagramming, and I was starting to make a diagram, to help to understand the process, so everyone can grasp the Idea. ( I haven’t received the license key yet which I need to finish up the diagrams )

Last edited by marios (2007-03-15 08:19:56)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#18 2007-03-15 08:28:01

mapu

I think you have to think about two groups of users:

1. The developer/skilled user who would need for sure a system that makes it easier to implement elements that are needed again and again. For that purpose Marios’ direction is not as bad.
  2. The ‘normal’ TXP user like Neil who is only in need of a simple way to import a TXP template and to tweak it a little bit.

The latter group of user is the one that I’m aiming for with my site.

IMHO the developer type of user can work out his own workflow and system to fit his needs.

#19 2007-03-15 08:45:58

marios
Archived Plugin Author

mapu wrote:

I think you have to think about two groups of users:

1. The ‘normal’ TXP user like Neil who is only in need of a simple way to import a TXP template and to tweak it a little bit.

Yes, at the end everything should be made as simple as possible. For that reason I proposed once a download pack, that apart from having the corrct folder and file structure, file fodler names and a couple of dummy forms and pages also includes a help template file, that you just can go throw and fill out the rest, eg.: sections, prefs, etc…

mapu wrote:

The latter group of user is the one that I’m aiming for with my site.

IMHO the developer type of user can work out his own workflow and system to fit his needs.

I wouldn’t necessarily agree. It would be the same like having 200 different kinds of propriatary USB plugs, that you are unable to connect for the same ol damn protocol. The silly marketing, that makes everyone’s life a mess.
Would it make sense for example, to also have a Developer TXP tag syntax and TXP Beginner Syntax for the same CMS?

We could save ourselves a lot of hassle if we work out some kind of draft, that makes sense for everything.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-15 08:48:36)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#20 2007-03-15 16:35:27

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

My desire to have somewhat of a consensus on naming conventions is so we don’t trample on each other’s work. Right now, I have 3 designs I can package up and put up for download. I too am targeting the user who decides to run Textpattern but is lacking in XHTML skills or hasn’t learned the templating system yet.

What set Wordpress on the fast track was the ability for end users to easily pick a look and start blogging. Now Wordpress is installed by many many users and the cottage industry around it is flourishing.

Textpattern will only gain new users if the ease of entry is reduced. These new users will eventually, when their sites gain traction, desire a custom look. Where do you think they’ll turn to then?

#21 2007-03-15 17:03:53

marios
Archived Plugin Author

@hcgtv, I can understand your point, the Userbase isn’t growing, I don’t know, I don’t know if intentionally or not.

But remember, that the working draft that I proposed is aimed at Designers and Template Authers, not Endusers.
So how what that work, then:
Let’s assume, I am a Template Auther.
Simple, You Go to a download section somewhere. ( Let’s call that the Master Template Pack for now )
You download the Pack, read the Short PDF Shortguide, possibly also perform a find and replace on any prefixe or Template Name, and then just make an import session with mcw_templates, and just start authoring right away, and everything is fully compliant. You wouldn’t even have to think.

That at least for me would sound like the most reliable and sound approach.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-15 17:04:58)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

Board footer