Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-03-12 11:23:04

mapu

Textpattern Templates

Famous Themes & Templates for Textpattern (and yes, they are free!).

That’s Textpattern Templates!

#2 2007-03-12 15:25:59

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Textpattern Templates

Hey,

Welcome to the TxP template world!

I like how you’re going about it, using mcw_templates for distribution purposes. That’s how I upload new templates that I work on locally to my live sites.

The site looks good, everything works fine, just check your footer links.

#3 2007-03-12 16:16:22

mapu

hcgtv schrieb:

The site looks good, everything works fine, just check your footer links.

Thanks, and thanks for the hint ;-)

#4 2007-03-13 18:51:09

dbulli
Website

Nice site and template… personally i still have a problem with templates …

if i didn’t code it i feel a little dirty … but there is indeed a market for it …

nuff-respec ::: dannyb

#5 2007-03-13 20:27:23

mapu

dbulli wrote:

Nice site and template… personally i still have a problem with templates …
if i didn’t code it i feel a little dirty … but there is indeed a market for it …

Of course this website is not aimed at the typical webdeveloper/-designer who can do his/her stuff on him-/herself. But I’m sure there are a lot of wannabe users of TXP who have just not the skills or are too lazy for a nice own design.

#6 2007-03-13 21:41:13

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Nice mapu. Txp is lacking behing with Templating initiatives.
This is a good moove.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#7 2007-03-13 22:53:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Marcus,

I have a suggestion.

As I’ve mentioned before, I use mcw_templates for my sites. I’ve talked on this forum that we should have a naming scheme for pages, forms and styles. This is due to the fact the way the TxP backend works, since importing MistyLook would overwrite your defaults.

You could do default.article.html becomes mistylook_default.article.html and so on…

When TxP 4.0.5 is released, whatever defaults you pick in the Sections tab will make that Page and Style to be displayed when you enter those tabs.

Being able to try out different looks also has a nice side effect, your site gets more downloads.

#8 2007-03-14 08:35:40

mapu

Bert,

I’m not sure if I understand what you are saying, because I don’t know about the new features in 4.0.5…

mcw_templates is exporting the exisiting template in a directory named preimported or something like that before importing the new template. So I would recommend to rename this directory after exporting the own template to a name like myowntemplate so you’ll have it as a permanent template in your _templates directory which can serve you as a template library.

I will recommend this to the users on my site. Before changing to another naming scheme I want to wait for the new version of TXP.

#9 2007-03-14 17:37:56

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Marcus,

I’ve been down this road before, working with a template site.

Before I started using Textpattern, I ran Nucleus CMS for about 3 years. During this time, I became involved in the project, not as a coder but on it’s web presence. One of these presences was the Skins site, I gathered skins from everywhere and put them all into one site. I also ported many skins from other systems, like Minima and Kubrick, it really taught me about templating. Since I wanted to use one install to showcase the skins, I made sure there were no naming clashes and assigned each skin a blog, in Textpattern this would be a section.

Going back to what I was saying, if your templates had a unique name to it’s Pages, Forms and Styles, you could use one install of Textpattern to demo them all. Also, users could upload a new skin, create a Test section to play around with it and tweak it to their liking, then when they are ready, just flip the switch in the Sections tab.

Last edited by hcgtv (2007-03-14 17:43:13)

#10 2007-03-14 17:48:31

mapu

hcgtv wrote:

Going back to what I was saying, if your templates had a unique name to it’s Pages, Forms and Styles, you could use one install of Textpattern to demo them all. Also, users could upload a new skin, create a Test section to play around with it and tweak it to their liking, then when they are ready, just flip the switch in the Sections tab.

Aha! Now I’m getting what you are trying to explain to me :)

I was already wondering how others were doing there previews without a fresh install of TXP.

But with all the different pages, forms and styles it can get a little bit confusing, can’t it? Maybe not for me on my demo install but maybe for the enduser?

Anyway, I will think about it again ;)

#11 2007-03-14 17:58:13

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

mapu wrote:

But with all the different pages, forms and styles it can get a little bit confusing, can’t it? Maybe not for me on my demo install but maybe for the enduser?

Well, you’ll have a lot of Pages, Forms and Styles on the demo site, that’s for sure. But for a user, well, they’ll have to get used to it, since the backend doesn’t group the overall look and feel. Really, it’s only the Forms tab that gets out of hand, all the other tabs are cool.

In SVN, what is to be 4.0.5, in the Sections tab, on the top you’ll see Uses page: & Uses style:. Whatever you pick here will be what your textarea in Pages and Style will default to, so it’s not confusing as to what your site is actively using.

#12 2007-03-14 18:03:03

marios
Archived Plugin Author

@hcgtv, thanks for keeping this topic hot.

mapu however is right, forward and backward compatibility is crucial here, so may be it’s a better a Idea just to see, what 4.1 has under the hood.

I propose: A working draft of naming conventions right fromwithin the wiki, with basic consideration of forward and backward compatibility also towards a templating engine.

( I knkow the wiki syntax is a little weird, but TM is your friend here, if your on mac::))

A general sceleton of the working draft would be open soon, before 4.0.5 getts pulled out of the hat.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-14 22:30:01)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

Board footer