Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#193 2007-02-26 03:38:40

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

Is this at your /tag/ url, or on your page where you’re making the call to the tag cloud? (tru_tags_list) If it’s your own call, what parameters are you using?

Also – can you give me a link to the site? (Feel free to email it to me – my email address is on my resume on my website.)

#194 2007-02-26 13:17:15

molly
Website

Hi Nathan—

I’m concentrating on the page I’m making to call the tag cloud. The page is here. I’ll put the page in testing mode so you can see the errors.

I can send you a textpattern login or anything else you might need. Just let me know. I really appreciate your help with this!

Last edited by molly (2007-02-26 13:18:26)

#195 2007-02-26 14:03:57

truist
Plugin Author
Website

If you’re willing to let me log in and poke around, just send credentials truist-temp-200702@truist.com. I should be able to figure it out quickly.

#196 2007-02-26 17:46:20

molly
Website

Thanks Nathan. You’ve got mail!

#197 2007-03-04 18:50:59

truist
Plugin Author
Website

molly – sorry for the long delay, but I’ve finally figured it out. (It took a couple of tries.)

The problem is that all of the sections that have tags are also marked as “not searchable” in the “Sections” tab, and tru_tags automatically ignores tags from any section that isn’t searchable. (I had forgotten about this feature, actually.) If you go to Presentation -> Sections and scroll down to the “links” section, and switch “Include in site search?” to “Yes”, the cloud will start working. When tru_tags filters out that section (and all the others), it ends up not finding any tags at all, and that causes the error.

If it’s really the case that you don’t want those sections to be searchable, it’s pretty easy to modify the plugin code to not exclude them. I could also include a flag in the next version to control that behavior. Let me know what you want to do. (Easiest is just to make those sections searchable.)

I’ve left your site as it was (so the cloud is still broken), with the exception that I installed rss_admin_db_manager, which is now turned off. For future reference, I found the problem (finally!) by setting your site to “Debugging” mode and looking at the source of the generated page to see the SQL that was being run. That’s where I saw that it was filtering out all the sections.

Please let me know if you need any more help :)

#198 2007-03-04 19:06:56

molly
Website

Nathan,

THANK YOU!!! I would never have found this on my own.

We don’t even use the site search for this site, so no need to modify the code.

I very much appreciate your time and effort. I have asked the site owner to send a few bones your way. :)

Last edited by molly (2007-03-04 19:11:10)

#199 2007-03-04 19:31:58

merz1
Website

If it’s really the case that you don’t want those sections to be searchable, it’s pretty easy to modify the plugin code to not exclude them. I could also include a flag in the next version to control that behavior. Let me know what you want to do. (Easiest is just to make those sections searchable.)

Nice support, nice easter egg and a good idea (the flag).

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#200 2007-03-06 18:07:21

nicklas
Website

In the referrerlist I’ve started to get broken links from spiders that look like this:

domain.foo/tag/?t=tag

Which is really odd as I’ve used clean urls all the time and I have textpattern installed in a subfolder called “sv”.

Edit: found the problem. Had to edit line 355 to ‘/sv/’ instead of just ‘/’. It’s not elegant, but it works.

Last edited by nicklas (2007-03-06 19:29:58)

#201 2007-03-06 19:43:19

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Now that you mention it, I’m seeing the same problem also. I’m guessing that it’s not a problem end-users are seeing. It’s probably caused by the way I’m manually rewriting the URL in the plugin code, and the manual changes are probably affecting the logging. Search engines seem to be indexing the correct URLs. Please let me know if this causing any immediate problems; otherwise, I’ll add it to the list for the next version.

#202 2007-03-06 21:11:50

merz1
Website

@Nathan: Search engines are definitely indexing the correct URL. I am not using the Textpattern protocol so I don’t see the problem. But all incoming referrers from search engines are clean URLs and OK.

BTW: A great tool to monitor incoming search engine traffic is the Javascript powered 103bees.com solution.

Last edited by merz1 (2007-03-06 21:15:20)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#203 2007-03-07 13:13:03

shotoshi
Website

Yep, I can concur, ever since i installed and started using this plugin I’ve noticed my tag section (and tags) are getting indexed on Google. I assume that is what is happening as I’m seeing people coming from Google having typed in something like “romantic villa in tuscany” etc. When I do same search in Google I’ve noticed that sometimes links to my tag sections are showing up in search results.

I guess that means Google is indexing them?

If so then it’s pretty cool actually. I never expected that benefit from using this plugin. With all that unexpected traffic it’s a pity I don’t have Adsense. But principles are principles.

Last edited by shotoshi (2007-03-07 13:13:34)

#204 2007-03-12 18:18:45

december76
Website

I’ve just updated to tru_tags version 2.0 and I am very pleased with the improvements. Sadly the support for international characters seems broken all of a sudden. A tag like “samhälle” worked fine in version 1.6, but doesn’t yield any results during a tag search in 2.0. Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions?

/Joakim

Board footer