Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-23 00:43:18

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

TXPhorum: A simple forum solution for Textpattern

This thread has been replaced by this one here, as of TXPhorum v0.3.

Introducing TXPhorum, a simple forum solution for Textpattern.

Using a combination of common plugins [plus a new one of my own] I’ve built a working model here.

For more information, see the test forum posts or visit the TXPhorum Manual

• Ben

[Updated 1/30/2007 with version 0.2 of the plugin and template]

Last edited by benbruce (2008-03-15 05:36:22)

#2 2007-01-23 01:12:54

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: TXPhorum: A simple forum solution for Textpattern

Whow, this is great.
I wish, I’d ever find some time to look into all that stuff you where offering and posting.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2007-01-23 01:34:11

RussLipton

You are a seriously sick individual …. as I have already posted in more detail on TXPhorum.

#4 2007-01-23 03:26:20

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Switched back to the working version so you can edit your post … can you check it for me?

#5 2007-01-23 04:42:44

mrdale
Website

>BB

Seriously, what are you on?

The way you casually drop bombs like postmaster and this on the community is pretty damn funny.

Last edited by mrdale (2007-01-23 04:43:07)

#6 2007-01-23 10:24:45

raveoli
Website

Hey Ben! Definetely gonna give this a try in a few days. Just what I need, so if it works, or we can make it work, it’ll be great. Thanks for your efforts;-) Thumbs up!

#7 2007-01-23 16:08:42

maverick
Website

Ben

The good :) — Nice work. Thank you.

The not-so-good: In my test install, clicking on the link in the index page leads to the post page as intended. However, all sorts of replies show up. The problem is I did not enter any replies yet. The replies are being pulled from other sections. Not sure why – any suggestions?

A question – when clicking on the name of the person who posted – what should be the expected results?

Thanks

Mike

#8 2007-01-23 18:52:59

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

maverick,

That is a result when the <txp:article_custom /> tag isn’t set up properly. It’s calling a custom field that doesn’t exist in your installation, and that is sending it haywire (pulls articles from all sections).

This is an error with the template and the instructions (fails to mention this) — the form you’ve copied and pasted (“txphorum_post”) has the following at the bottom:

<txp:article_custom post_or_reply="<txp:article_id />" form="txphorum_reply" sort="Posted asc" />

You need to replace “post_or_reply” with the name of your custom_2. Alternatively, you could go into your Admin preferences and change the name of custom_2 to “post_or_reply”. That should do it.

The author name thing — I’d rather have just the name, and not link anywhere, so I’ve now changed it in my txphorum_index form so that the tag is <txp:author /> . If you want it linked, read this page for help.

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-23 18:57:01)

#9 2007-01-24 05:33:56

maverick
Website

Thanks Ben

I’ll make the changes.

Mike

#10 2007-01-24 08:15:55

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

mr. dale,

dropping bombs is a wicked pleasure of mine.

maverick,

there are some differences between the live site and the code that I published. If you are really struggling to get it to all fit together, I think it might be easier once I’ve republished it. There are a couple of issues with the published material: I did a final “cleanup” of the code and there were some errors in it; what’s running on the live site is the “unclean” working version. Also I’ve made a bunch of changes to the forum since I posted it a couple of days ago. anyway, figured I better let you know in case you’re banging your head.

• Ben

#11 2007-01-24 13:57:16

maverick
Website

Ben

Thanks for the heads up. For the most part I have a test version up and working :). Naming the custom field to match fixed the major problem. I should have paid closer attention to all the tags.

Somewhere in the process I have ended up with duplication on my comments – A posted reply (comment) shows as it should since renaming the custom field 2. It shows again right below it as a regularly styled comment as well. Below that is my traditional form to enter comments, and below that is the comment (reply) form that ought to be showing for the forums. Initially I don’t see a reason for this in the actual txphorums forms. But viewing the source shows a lot of info that shouldn’t be there. It was late last night when I worked on it, so I need to go back with fresh eyes and look again.

Plus I may hold off for your next release and see if that helps things.

Thanks again

Mike

#12 2007-01-24 14:24:11

maverick
Website

The duplicate comments are fixed. Last night I thought it was probably due to having my preferences set to auto-append comments. And I thought I turned that option off. However in my sleep-deprived haze I was turning off the wrong radio button (on by default) instead of auto-append.

Everything works when you are more awake and paying attention.

Thanks for your excellent work Bruce.

Mike

Board footer