Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-09 02:15:59

wbmsic

Clicking on articles leads to strange results

When I click on a link to an article it goes to a page where the font is blown up, centered and has all of the blog listed this way. When I go to an older article it shows up first and then again in the order posted.

I posted about this on another post and was told to say no to “automatically append comments to articles”, I also changed the comments to a popup and now I don’t don’t see the comment form after the article like I did before changing.

Any idea what’s causing this?

#2 2007-01-09 04:19:07

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Clicking on articles leads to strange results

…where the font is blown up, centered and has all of the blog listed this way…

That would mean that you’ve got a template problem, very likely a missing closing heading element. We can’t help you any further without seeing your page and related form templates.

When I go to an older article it shows up first and then again in the order posted.

Sorry, could you rephrase that? I don’t understand.

I posted about this on another post…

Actually, you posted about adding post-based meta tags, and that would require either:

• using an article tag and turning off comment auto-append (in which case you need to read this)
  • or, placing the meta tags themselves into your page directly, wrapping them in an if_individual_article tag.

#3 2007-01-12 20:59:39

wbmsic

Let me give you the link to my page. I should warn that it is adult content, it’s work safe, well it’s a sexually explicit blog, just so that you know.

<code> <a href=“http://www.gotkink.ca> Got Kink? </a> </code>

I want to make sure that I give you the right code, are you asking for my default form?

Lets say I have three articles A, B and C, when I click on B’s link the page will blow up and be in this order: B, A, B, C I hope that this makes more sense.

So when I go to post an article (content-write) before each article I would post something like this:

<notextile> <code> <txp:if_individual_article> <META NAME=“Description” CONTENT=“This is about X, Y, Z.”> <meta name=“keywords” content=“X, Y, Z” /> </txp:if_individual_article> </notextile> </code>

Am I getting that right?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by wbmsic (2007-01-12 21:11:57)

#4 2007-01-13 02:19:14

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Okay, something is definitely wrong with the page assigned to your “Blog” section. Could you post it’s contents here?

You’ve got the meta tags bit a little confused, but we’ll come back to that once we fix up your page. :)

#5 2007-01-14 20:11:20

wbmsic

Sorry to sound like a complete newb but what tab would I need to post for you to see that?

#6 2007-01-15 06:41:13

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Go to your “Pages” tab, then the page you are using for your “Blog” section. Post the contents of the textarea here.

#7 2007-01-16 19:31:54

wbmsic

Umm I never actually created a page for my blog section, I just started typing articles. I take it that this would be the problem?

#8 2007-01-19 11:10:28

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Okay, now I’m seeing where the confusion is coming in.

1. Go to your Advanced admin preferences, and scroll down to the custom fields section. Make sure you have created the two custom fields you want to use: one named “meta_description” and the other named “meta_keywords”. Save your preferences if you had to make any changes.

2. Go to your articles, and remove any (X)HTML/Textpattern tags from your article body/excerpt. Click on “Advanced Options” and you’ll see the two fields for “meta_description” and “meta_keywords”. Enter your meta information (such as This is about X, Y, Z. and X, Y, Z) directly in those fields. Save the article.

3. If you go to your sections tab, there should be a dropdown which defines what page template your “blog” section is to use (chances are it is using “archive”, I think).

4. When you find out what that page is, go to your pages tab and edit that page. At the top of it you should see:

<title><txp:page_title /></title>

Just above that, make sure the following is there:

<txp:if_individual_article>
	<txp:if_custom_field name="meta_description">
		<meta name="description" content="<txp:custom_field name="meta_description" />" />
	</txp:if_custom_field>

<txp:if_custom_field name="meta_keywords">
		<meta name="keywords" content="<txp:custom_field name="meta_keywords" />" />
	</txp:if_custom_field>
</txp:if_individual_article>

Save the page.

Now, is everything looking/functioning correctly?

Board footer