Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-11-28 15:28:01

jdykast
Website

Re: Why Mac?

If you can hold out until CS3 comes out to do your cross licensing there’s definitely no reason not to switch. All of that fun stuff you were talking about (coding, CSS, TXP) would present no problem for you whatsoever. I did a quick check to see if it was possible to import PowerPoint files into Keynote and it seems that it is, though I didn’t take down the instructions. You can find a review of iWork ’05 here, but keep in mind that Apple is now selling iWork ’06. Your Mac will come with a 30 trial of iWork installed.

#26 2006-11-29 04:01:38

slim

Its not too bad either, $80 for the full version. Not a bad price if its as good as it looks.

#27 2006-11-29 04:12:50

jdykast
Website

No joke consider MS Office costs an arm and a leg. I’m using NeoOffice and enjoy it. It’s not nearly as polished as Office but it certainly meets my needs. I tried using OpenOffice but it required using X11 and it wasn’t worth the extra layer to use it. For the price and my needs NeoOffice works quite well. I’ve been looking at iWork myself because I have begun to need to do some page layout again. The price of iWork versus InDesign is very nice.

#28 2006-11-29 14:37:10

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

jdykast wrote:

The price of iWork versus InDesign is very nice.

Yes but they do 2 totally different tasks. iwork consists of apple pages and keynote. Pages is very good for short texts and letters. Keynote is apple’s answer to powerpoint.
Indesign however is a publishing tool which can handle 100s of pages with a unique layout each…

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#29 2006-11-29 15:56:15

slim

colak wrote:
Indesign however is a publishing tool which can handle 100s of pages with a unique layout each…

Since I only use InDesign for initial site layouts and the occasional term paper for college, I really am not utilizing the full power of ID. My wife is the one who does that with the print publishing that she does. If Pages can be versatile enough to create rough skins of websites (columns, headers, boxes of different colors, etc.), and can be exported to very universal document types (ie pdf), then it would do just what I need it to do.

#30 2006-11-29 16:30:35

jdykast
Website

I’m in the same boat. Right now there is no need for me to be doing large documents like the type that InDesign excels at. When the money is available I’ll be springing for iWork.

#31 2006-12-03 23:31:51

dbulli
Website

Die hard Mac Users hate PCs … because they are PCs …

I have always been a PC user at home and MAC user at work (that’s what work uses) …

For a programmer not really much of a difference … for a designer … MAC displays are so so so much better..

The biggest issue is software … software cheaper and more readily available for PC …

I bought a MacBOOK few weeks ago and very happy with it … it really is “SEXY” … apple has done great job in design .. even the packaging is great … why i made the jump … i think just the ability to run both … and the UNIX back end … and to get all my mac friends off my back ;) …

Seriously though you can’t really go wrong with either … is it worth the extra money … for me yeah .. i got the ability to run both now … it’s BULL that they are easier to use .. they are both super easy …

nuff-respec ::: dannyb

Board footer