Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-23 19:35:01

slim

Why Mac?

I am current in the market for a new laptop, primarily for web design, with occasional use for engineering and writing technical papers. I have seen that the primary choice for designers and developers is the Macbook Pro’s, but why? What does Apple sell that I can’t get on a PC?

I use macromedia MX suite for graphics and such, and Adobe InDesign for layouts, so with the new intel processors in the Macbooks I would be able to move that over, but would I have to restart my computer every time I wanted to use it?

I am definitely interested in a Mac, but I need to be thoroughly convinced before spending over 2x what I would on a PC with similar screen size, performance, etc.

I know Windows has its quirks, but I guess you could say I’ve gotten “used to it”. OSX would have to be an amazing improvement to warrant the switch on that factor alone.

Mac users, this is you’re chance to convert me.

Last edited by slim (2006-11-23 19:37:15)

#2 2006-11-23 21:28:34

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Why Mac?

All the Adobe and Macromedia (now adobe) products that you mentioned run on OS X.

If you still need to run any windows apps on your Mac, you can run either BootCamp (reboot the computer into windows) or use parallels. If you decide to go the parallels route, make sure to get as much memory as possible as each OS you run in the virtual environment will need it’s own section of memory.

#3 2006-11-23 21:59:42

slim

So Adobe and Macromedia products run side-by-side with Apple software without parallels or Boot Camp?

#4 2006-11-23 23:26:13

Neko

I’m a Mac user and I declare: Get a Windows machine! :)

You paid for those licenses, they only run on Windows, you’d either need to buy a Mac version of them or start getting used to long and painful and completely unnecessary reboot times while working with Bootcamp.

Macs are great because they are Macs but since you made a pretty hefty investment in licenses I don’t see why you should need to switch, unless you want to switch the licenses too.

#5 2006-11-23 23:28:43

hakjoon
Website

No intel versions of the Adobe stuff so far. So it has to run through Rosetta which makes it slow. SO right now you are probably better off running it in boot camp or parallels. I think Universal Binaries are slatted for CS3

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-11-23 23:29:00)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#6 2006-11-23 23:32:21

masa

Neko wrote:

You paid for those licenses, they only run on Windows, you’d either need to buy a Mac version of them or start getting used to long and painful and completely unnecessary reboot times while working with Bootcamp.

Adobe does offer cross-grades at very reasonable fees, so you’re not tied to any platform. It’s worth inquiring about with a local reseller.

Cheers Martin

#7 2006-11-24 02:07:39

slim

Ok, software issues aside. What do Macs have to offer that set them in a league above the PC crowd?

#8 2006-11-24 11:51:44

soulship
Website

They are pretty. But they also score among some of the worst computer companies for pollution and toxic chemicals used in production. Here’s the full reoport card. [pdf] Sure it runs on ‘Nix and looks cool, but at a premium price for what you can almost get the hardware equivalent of for half the price elsewhere. The main thing that has always stopped me other than the hype, the doubled cost, and the poor scores for being earth friendly (as much as you can be manufacturing computers in all their toxic glory), is the limitations on the screen resolutions. I have used nothing but a laptop for the last four years and for the last two of those have had a high res screens (1920×1200 15.4”) the highest offered on a mac was 1400×900 (now it’s been upped to 1680 × 1050) and that’s only on a 17” version. My back’s just not good enough to lug that around on a daily basis. Also stopping me…. I have about $4500 or more in software licensed for windows.

#9 2006-11-25 16:50:20

Destry
Website

I think for most people it’s more than just a technological affair, but rather something else that is a little harder to put into words…kind of like how Textpattern is for many folks, there’s other CMS out there just as good…cough, but Txp has that certain… je ne sais quoi.

One real difference between PC and Mac, however, is security, and that’s a huge difference. A Mac is going to be many magnitudes more secure than your PC. The only reason for that, however, is that there’s simply more PC users out there; hackers don’t bother with Mac because there’s bigger fish to fry with PC users. That would change if more people were using mac’s. So I’m sure all the Mac user’s would say, yeah, stick with a PC. ;)

Apparently Macs are a lot easier to work on too, should you have too.

I have to admit, though, the cost of a Mac is more than ridiculous; but then you have people driving Ferraris on roads with 55 mph speed limits. Point being, if you have the money to blow, why not? That’s the wasteful human nature way, n’est pas?

My PC laptop just bombed on me…and I am aiming to get a Mac, but your question is a good one.

Last edited by Destry (2006-11-25 16:59:43)

#10 2006-11-25 17:20:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

My ideal machine a few years back was a G5, I wanted one so badly that I’d visit the local Comp-USA and stand and stare at it.

The day came when I really needed a new machine and I decided that rather than spend thousands I would build my own workstation for under $1000 and load Debian on it. Mind you it’s not a G5, but it’s pretty damn close in processing power and the SATA drives make a world of difference. When the time comes, I’ll swap out the motherboard and put in an AMD Athlon 64 ×2 Dual-Core processor and my drives and expansion cards will follow along.

Today, with Apple going towards the Intel world, I don’t feel that mystic it once had, it’s just another operating system in my mind. OS X is nice but so is Debian, the only difference is in the availability of commercial apps. So it comes down to if you’re married to Photoshop or if you feel that the Gimp is sufficient for your needs.

#11 2006-11-25 17:39:58

jstubbs
Website

Macs are much easier to use, and I don’t think its fair to say much more expensive, once the extra costs are factored in for all the apps that Macs come with built-in, not to mention the drivers and other stuff that add to the overall cost.

What about the cost of maintenance? OSX is much more secure, so you don’t lose downtime with a Mac compared to a PC.

Bottom line: Macs are more fun and once one uses a Mac, its hard to turn back. Ease of use, enjoyment, fun and more.

#12 2006-11-26 00:16:20

lee

When was the last time you burnt a dvd, streamed music to your hifi, edited an 8meg image and logged into you latest txp site all at the same time without your pc crashing?

Get a mac and you’ll be a happier person.

(I switched after 20 years of using windows, plus I earn my living as a MS engineer)

Board footer