Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-05-19 13:14:15

robmcm

Re: Site structure with Text Pattern

I have been getting on with this and have managed to get catogories with sub catogories, although I can’t order the output of catagories (I’m using stw_category_tree by Sandor Weisz).

Anyone know how to order the output? Or are you just hard coding the links to the catogories?

#14 2006-05-19 13:55:24

-P-

<blockquote>ma_smith wrote:

p
howdy. I’ve provided a working solution via handcoding (rather than dynamic) in cases like that. For the time being, that seems to work best. (ie place a “section” within a section in the menu list). Assuming I have understood your need correctly.

:)</blockquote>

Howdy Mr. Smith!

I am using already hand coded menu links so that they all point straight to different sections. So when clicking “blog” from the navigation menu, user goes to section blog, like they´re should and the url is site.url/blog/

“Problem” starts in an individual article where there´s is prev and next article tags… since when clicking a link, user goes to site.url/articlename instead of site.url/blog/articlename. Same thing with list of recent articles that I pull with <code>txp:glx_recent_articles</code>. And off course this same logic should work with blogs individual article permalinks.

Then again, using /section/title would make blog section work but rest of the site is more “static” and I am also trying to maintain the structure in the admin side for the end user as simple and logical as possible. Meaning no heavy usage of categories and all static entry names reflect to their sections. So the post that is in section “contact” is named contact us, resulting final output as site.url/contact/contact-us. Off course I could be more imaginative there and name the entry differently, like site.url/contact/form. But it would not serve the idea of keeping the urls as simple and logic and easy to remember as possible.

And I need quite a bit sections since I pull different content out in a sidebar based on which section user is on. Because of that I don´t see replacing sections with categories a good solution here either.

Last edited by -P- (2006-05-19 13:59:05)

#15 2006-05-19 14:45:25

saturnflyer

P

Can’t you simply use status of “sticky” for pages such as your Contact Us page? That way you could still just navigate to site.url/contact/

#16 2006-05-19 15:42:34

-P-

Thank you saturnflyer for your suggestion! Yes, that would work on some parts of the site.

But I´m also using sections to pull out different content to the sidebar, based on section user is on and there are also few different template structions (contact uses one with sidebar, campaigns uses one with no side bar etc.). So I don´t know how else better achieve it than with sections.

#17 2006-05-21 03:15:59

bnewsome

robmcm wrote:

I have been getting on with this and have managed to get catogories with sub catogories, although I can’t order the output of catagories (I’m using stw_category_tree by Sandor Weisz). Anyone know how to order the output? Or are you just hard coding the links to the catogories?

robmcm: I’m using wow_menu to order all my categories in the back end, then stw_category_tree on the front end to display them.

edit: Forgot to mention you’ll need to edit the stw_category_tree plugin to order by idx after installing the wow_menu plugin to get this to work, or you could just use the wow_menu itself to display categories in the front end if that suits your needs.

Last edited by bnewsome (2006-05-21 05:13:34)

#18 2006-10-26 19:26:12

BZ
Website

ma_smith wrote:

Sub-sections are around the corner if the what the prophets say is true : look for it in 4.1

Can you verify that? I have not upgraded yet, and haven’t read anything about subsections in the release announcement.

Thanks
Birgit

Diagnosis:
Version Textpattern: 4.0.3 (r1188)
PHP-Version: 4.4.1
Hosting: all-inkl.com

#19 2006-10-26 19:41:27

squaredeye
Website

Verification?
Not around here :)
However, I’ve seen it in the code called “Crockery”. 4.1 is a way down the road.
4.04 is here, but 4.1 is still in the works…
does that answer your ?

#20 2006-10-26 20:00:28

BZ
Website

Ooops, I thought it was already 4.1 – my fault.
So I will anticipate 4.1 even more :)
Thanks for the quick reply!

Diagnosis:
Version Textpattern: 4.0.3 (r1188)
PHP-Version: 4.4.1
Hosting: all-inkl.com

Board footer