Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-05-13 05:43:45

bnewsome

Site structure with Text Pattern

I am trying to create a faux hierachy using Text Pattern but I’m having difficulty getting my head around how to go about this in terms of the way my content needs to be structured behind the scenes with sections and categories.

Basically the kind of structure I’m after is like this:

• Section 1
    • Section 1 overview article (Sticky)
    • Sub-Section 1
      • Sub-Section 1 overview article (Sticky)
      • Article 1
      • Article 2

I’ve found a site in the TXP Magazine showcase which demonstrates the exact functionality I am looking for, but I’m at a loss as to how this could have been achieved using sections/categories to emulate a hierarchy?

If any TextPattern gurus out there could give me some ideas on how this can be done I would be most grateful!

Thanks.

Last edited by bnewsome (2006-05-13 05:46:13)

#2 2006-05-13 06:25:13

squaredeye
Website

Re: Site structure with Text Pattern

I would guess that this site is using sgb_url_handler or the faux static plugin . Right now, textpattern isn’t natively set up to handle more than section/article hierarchy without plugins or some tweeking.

:)

Matthew

#3 2006-05-14 23:27:57

april19
Website

bnewsome,

The key to working with any new system is to not get caught up on terminology, i.e, sections, category, tag, sub-whatever. That site does not employ a level beyond a third layer.

So if you look at the structure of that site you referred to, I would suggest it could be done by utilising the following (this page gives a clearer demonstration).

The section is ‘About’. First level/layer.

The category is ‘Leadership’. Second level/layer.

The article is ‘JamesTorina’. Third level/layer.

Hope that clarifys your problem.

#4 2006-05-15 16:40:39

saturnflyer

I’ve been banging my head against this problem for a while too.
Does anyone know of a tutorial where I can find the steps of the process?

#5 2006-05-15 16:50:11

squaredeye
Website

There are a lot of threads in the forum about achieving a 3 level nav structure, you just have to look harder.

I recommend looking like this : google search : site:forum.textpattern.com 3 level navigation

search terms:
hierarchical
navigation
level
three
etc.

At the moment its not easy to achieve this without some plugins and/or heavy coding with if_tags, but its doable. Also it can be done with a bit of hand coding as well, but that reduces the amount of flexibility.

Sub-sections are around the corner if the what the prophets say is true : look for it in 4.1

If I have more time later, I will post some of my own findings,

Matthew

Last edited by ma_smith (2006-05-15 18:10:05)

#6 2006-05-15 18:03:46

vifort
Website

ma_smith Wrote:

Sub-sections are around the corner if the what the prophets say is true : look for it in 4.01.

Hi,

I guess you’re talking about v4.1 instead of v4.01 ?

#7 2006-05-15 18:11:19

squaredeye
Website

hee hee, yeah, that’s correct : 4.1

see here

#8 2006-05-17 02:11:20

bnewsome

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I’ve somewhat solved the issue by using nested categories under my main sections and outputting the navigation using stw_category_tree.

For each section I have a category with the same name that acts as the root, under this I nest as many “sub” categories necessary to build the structure I want.

It becomes a bit of a pain with the pages, I’m using a lot of if_section and if_category tags to sort it all out, but it gets me out of trouble for now, at least until I can figure out a better way (or version 4.1 gets released :D).

#9 2006-05-17 13:26:13

squaredeye
Website

bnewsome,
Well done.

I encourage you to share your code if you are willing, in the examples forum. Its really helpful, and builds the communities understanding of how versatile TXP is, even considering the limitations,

Think about it :)

Matthew

#10 2006-05-17 14:26:56

robmcm

That site has the exact structure I would like to create using Textpattern.

I would love to see how you achieved it (or something simular!)

Thanks in advance!

Rob

#11 2006-05-19 12:30:56

-P-

Same goes here. I´m having trouble implementing a site structure that is based on sections. Permlink mode is set to /title and as far it goes with most part of the site, that is just what is needed. Except on the section “Blog” where I`d like to have permlinks in a form /section/title.

I tested both sgb_url_handler and gbp_faux_static but just did not understand how they work. Any help appreciated. I could have posted this to the plugins thread but since I´m not even sure, which plugin would be most suitable or is there any other solution to make only one section to use different permlink mode.

#12 2006-05-19 12:43:28

squaredeye
Website

p
howdy. I’ve provided a working solution via handcoding (rather than dynamic) in cases like that. For the time being, that seems to work best. (ie place a “section” within a section in the menu list). Assuming I have understood your need correctly.

:)

Board footer