Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-10-24 02:49:55

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Code posting < & > changing

NyteOwl wrote:

I cannot understand not offering bbCode as an optional “markup” considering almost every forum on the net uses it (or has it available). It’s practically a standard for marking up forum posts.

My problem is one of having 6 tabs open to forums I follow or help moderate and they all use bbcode except this one. I find myself using bbcode here and textile somewhere else, gets quite confusing to say the least. Heck I even saw a post from Sencer the other day using [b] to highlight some text, so I guess I’m not the only one.

I’ve touched on this before but I haven’t pursued a solution since Mary alluded to changing forum software sometime in the future. I don’t see why we couldn’t have a per user profile option that would toggle either bbcode or textile markup for that user. The post table can have an extra field denoting markup language used, so either a bbcode or textile parser is applied for display purposes. The only problem I see is when you quote a textile marked up post and you’re using bbcode or vice versa.

I’ve said it before, I think Textile is wonderful, I love it when I’m creating articles for my sites cause it’s a huge time saver. But I’m in a different mindset at that point, I know I’m in Textpattern land.

#14 2006-10-24 05:33:43

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

NyteOwl wrote (whilst others shrared similar views):

I realize that Textile is a favoured child of the Textpattern developers, and much of the community, but it isn’t always flexible, not is it particularly intuitive – in fact it’s rather arcane unless you use it all the time. I have never understood the policy of restricting the forum to Textile tags.

I disagree. The forum is textpattern specific and textile is an inseparable part of textpattern. So having this forum use textile is a good thing…

My problem is that the change was not backward compatible. All previous posts in html (and face it, most of us used it in combination with textile through the years) are now not reading properly which will make it very confusing for the alpha and beta members. Maybe a mysql script should be written and executed to replace all previous html with their textile equivalents. In this way the forum will still be the resource of easily accessible information it was before the change

Last edited by colak (2006-10-24 05:34:30)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2006-10-24 05:46:42

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Maybe a mysql script should be written and executed to replace all previous html with their textile equivalents.

If you want to write it, by all means, do so.

In any case, Bert, that was and is my intention, to make it an option.

Last edited by Mary (2006-10-24 05:48:47)

#16 2006-10-24 12:51:05

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Mary wrote:

Holler is you need help from Team PunBB :)

#17 2006-10-24 20:57:25

NyteOwl

The forum is textpattern specific and textile is an inseparable part of textpattern. So having this forum use textile is a good thing…

I agree the forum is about Textpattern but on your second assertion I have to disagree – Textile is NOT inseperable from Textpattern. I don’t use Textile when using Textpattern as I prepare my articles seperately and then paste them into the write area. I am probably not the only one either. There are even those that subsitute Markdown and other editors so I don’t find the argument that just because Textile comes from the same development team that it is inseperable in either fact or concept. In fact, were Textile to become inseperable and a required part of Textpattern I’d probably find a different publishing tool.

Similar to Bert, this is the ONLY forum out of about a dozen to so I frequent regualarly (and a few others very infrequently) that does not permit or actively use bbCode for posting markup. I really see no reason why it shouldn’t be an available option.

This is good news, thanks.

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

Board footer