Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-10-13 09:12:26

skoggy
Website

Re: Incorporating TXP with other Apps

:) Sencer… I love the way you´re killing me gently. You make 100% sense!

#14 2006-10-13 14:08:28

Ace of Dubs

LOL!

I had a feeling this might be wandering into “pipe dream” territory, but hey.. never hurts to ask!

So tell me Sencer, to what extent is integration realistically feasible? Right now the only thing I can think of is hacking up the admin to produce the necessary links to other software (and vice versa)

Edit: You know, your idea of using frames is actually not bad. Granted I never use them for accessibility reasons, but this is a backend app so I dont see the harm. It would really be a simple affair of creating one page with links to all software, setting up the frames and ignoring the dirty feeling :)

The only unresolved problem is that I dont know of a way to have the links in a frame show an active state based on the app currently being displayed. A minor detail, but one worth discussing if anyone knows a solution.

Last edited by Ace of Dubs (2006-10-13 14:50:57)

#15 2006-10-13 15:37:39

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:

In Textpattern, I want a nice lean and mean CMS. Start making it into a Gallery, a Forum or what have you and you start having core bloat. Even if a user decides on not using any of these extra plugin modules, those hooks still have to exist in the core code to accommodate them.

I guess the benefit with having everything centralized – in this hypthetical example, in TXP – besides defeating the problem of multiple users / permissions – is all the data is centralized as well: if you want statistics, or if you want the gallery to appear in the content – or to share images with the content – to manage your products – genrate sales reports, etc… it’s that much easier to do, having all the data in 1 place sharing a constant structure…

Last edited by rloaderro (2006-10-13 15:38:39)

Travel Atlas * Org | Start Somewhere

#16 2006-10-13 16:37:29

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

@ rloaderro

Then we’re heading in the direction of ExpressionEngine. I commend Rick and all the developers on his staff but I have issues with some of the components. When the Forum component first came out, there was no way to get to the last post on a thread, I think now it can, it’s been a few weeks since I last checked. The Gallery component is ok, nothing to write home about. Now they have a Wiki, it looks good on the outside, I haven’t played with the back end. This idea of centralization sounds good on paper but the last time I looked at EE’s admin interface, it had grown to be rather confusing. Also, since Rick comes from a Weblog background, each of his components have that Blog made to look like a Forum via templates feel.

@ Sencer

I hear you, there is no Silver Bullet. But I’ve seen projects integrate different apps together and I’ve learned from it. CPG Dragonfly took PostNuke, phpBB and Coppermine and created their own distro. Most of the Groupware apps are of the same breed, off-the-shelf apps stitched together with programmer glue. After years of following all these projects I’ve come away with the conclusion that like-minded apps should work together. It’s overkill for Textpattern to integrate with Gallery2, but with Plogger, that makes sense. Joomla is working tightly with SMF and there a few bridges being worked on. As we head into the next wave of the Web, no app can or should stand alone, there has to be cooperation.

#17 2006-10-13 19:08:34

Ace of Dubs

Hey Bert

Just noticed The TXPun in your sig. I will be following that project with great interest as it seems we are on the same page.

If you ever need a hand with some quick mockups, just holler

#18 2006-10-13 20:07:48

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Ace of Dubs wrote:

If you ever need a hand with some quick mockups, just holler

Will do, thanks.

I’m also keeping an eye on Plogger, I’ll see what Beta 3 looks like.

#19 2006-10-18 01:38:52

igner
Plugin Author

Sencer wrote:

(for most people that would be overkill, like keeping an aircraft-carrier in your backyard swimming pool).

Where am I supposed to keep my aircraft-carrier? If I don’t keep it in the pool, then where will the planes land?

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

Board footer