Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-10-12 16:25:31

Ace of Dubs

Incorporating TXP with other Apps

I would like to rebuild the admin for a client so along with the normal TXP tabs he will have links to other software we are using (zen cart, plogger, etc)

What would be the best way to accomplish this?

#2 2006-10-12 17:58:00

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Re: Incorporating TXP with other Apps

You can write a simple admin-side plugin (look at the available examples) which has a list of links to the other applications.

I guess it would theoretically be also possible to use an iframe to display the other application below the txp-admin-navigational header. Whether you want to do that is of course another question… ;)

#3 2006-10-12 18:04:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I’d be interested to see what you come up with Ace.

How’s Plogger working, I’m still waiting for the next beta to come out.

#4 2006-10-12 18:09:54

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Ace, I register another tab using a single plugin to register the tabs I need, then feed the app into an iframe below that tab when it’s clicked. (they never really leave txp)

#5 2006-10-12 19:45:34

skoggy
Website

Wow! This is very interesting… is there a possibility to write a how-to on this subject? :) Sharing experience on hacking/plugin would be great!

It´s possible I´ll need to do one or two imports like this in the near future… so I (and perhaps several other users) would be very greatful to know more about how it can be done.

For example: It would be nice if you don´t have to log in to the second software… (since you´re allready logged in to txp).

What do you say, is it worth the effort?

Last edited by skoggy (2006-10-12 19:48:54)

#6 2006-10-12 23:44:23

Ace of Dubs

I been really picking this apart in my head and I could be wrong, but I think a plugin would only get me halfway there.. sure I could tweak the admin to link to other software, but then I would also have to tweak the other software to link back. Skoggy also raise the issue of logins which I havent figured out yet.

Overall I think I am looking for a more integrated solution, almost a custom admin from scratch that would access all the necessary parameters from each software package. This way the client has everything they need in one place, all completely tricked out and branded with a uniform feel. I realize this is no easy fix and requires some serious hacking, but I just may be crazy enough to take this on. Any opinions / ideas are most welcome..

@ Walker,

Please elaborate on this plugin of yours..sounds intriguing to say the least

#7 2006-10-12 23:50:44

Ace of Dubs

@ Bert

Plogger is pretty cool so far. It actually reminds me a bit of TXP in terms of speed and cleanliness. I am just starting to get my head around it.. seems to be the ideal solution for anyone who documents events. I also like the fact that you can FTP entire folders of images and then manage them, generate thumbnails etc. It’s certainly not perfect..the gui has some oddities I would work differently, but perhaps my own hackery will take care of that. Will let you know what I think as I familiarize myself a bit more.

#8 2006-10-12 23:57:49

Ace of Dubs

Sidenote: I’ve been dabbling with Django lately and stumbled across some interesting reading

Of course this may be considered heresy to the PHP purist and then there is the issue of deployability, but it definitely has me thinking about the problem from a new angle..

#9 2006-10-13 00:23:01

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Ace of Dubs wrote:

Sidenote: I’ve been dabbling with Django lately and stumbled across some interesting reading (automating the CRUD)

Isn’t that sorta what the Rails (Ruby on Rails) framework does for example?

I think you will always have problems trying to integrate completely different apps – with different users and permissions – together in the TXP interface (Although it is pretty easy to duplicate the TXP cookie from another app). I’m probably missing something, but couldn’t TXP handle all the functionality of Plogger anyway?

Last edited by rloaderro (2006-10-13 00:25:01)

Travel Atlas * Org | Start Somewhere

#10 2006-10-13 01:04:43

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

rloaderro wrote:

I’m probably missing something, but couldn’t TXP handle all the functionality of Plogger anyway?

Yeah, I guess you could use existing or create new plugins to mimic a full blown gallery, but why reinvent the wheel?

Let’s take what Microsoft did with Explorer, here was a lean and mean file manager that turned into a thumbnail viewer, web browser, you name it. I already have a web browser and a thumbnail viewer, I just want a freaking file manager.

In Textpattern, I want a nice lean and mean CMS. Start making it into a Gallery, a Forum or what have you and you start having core bloat. Even if a user decides on not using any of these extra plugin modules, those hooks still have to exist in the core code to accommodate them.

I’ve worked with developers on various projects, each has their own expertise in dealing with their app’s idiosyncrasies. A Gallery is a complex piece of software, so is a Forum or a Shopping Cart. These developers have already banged their heads against the wall, why would we want to share their bruises?

#11 2006-10-13 01:06:35

Ace of Dubs

Great reply Bert. I think a modular approach is best for these kind of things too.

Responding to rloaderro’s questions:

Rails is quite similar to Django but is lacking the admin. Apparently a few attempts have been made to port it over but they are all still in development and so far cant hold a candle to the original.

I realize that may not be the best solution.. it certainly doesn’t tackle the issue of maintaining login across apps. I imagine that would require some kind of SQL sorcery which I certainly do not possess. Still, I enjoy thinking out loud on this forum cause many times you guys take ideas to other levels.

As for TXP image plugins, I have yet to find one intuitive enough for clients. Recommendations are welcome.

Last edited by Ace of Dubs (2006-10-13 01:11:56)

#12 2006-10-13 08:29:11

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Ace of Dubs wrote:

Overall I think I am looking for a more integrated solution, almost a custom admin from scratch that would access all the necessary parameters from each software package.

Ah, yes, the “Do what I want” silverbullet feature that slays the pesky software-werewolf. Hords of developers went to expeditions to find it for the last few decades, yet neigh has found the holy grail and few have returned. There is articles from the eighties and earlier in serious computer science publications that talk about some component software where you just plug diferent applications together and do no neet to do any more development, and it all fits. So the problem is not new. There simply exists no general purpose solution (yet?). In the meantime you have to weigh the costs and benefits for each application that you want to integrate with another one, in terms of development time, and maintenance time over the typical lifecycle.

There are partial solutions for certain areas (like LDAP for for a central user-directory), but those are way beyond your typical hosting setup, and it’s usually cheaper to write custom integration for a handful of webapps, than to run your own LDAP-Server and infrastructure (for most people that would be overkill, like keeping an aircraft-carrier in your backyard swimming pool).

Board footer