Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-10-01 11:24:27

redbot
Plugin Author

file and link parent categories

Hi,
I dare to make a humble suggestion for the next releases of txp.
Is it possible to extend the functionality of parent categories with regards to link and file categories?
I’ll try to explain it better: I think it would be useful to have a “parent” attribute (like the one already existing with txp:category_list) for some tags like, say, txp:file_download_list, so a client could just create by himself a subcategory in an existing file category, upload some files in the newly created subcategory and see them displayed automatically on the site he is updating, maybe grouped by subcategories using something like
<code>
<txp:if_different >
<file_download_category>
</txp:if_different >
</code>
-all this without the need to modify txp code.

Addictionally it would be nice if one could exclude the parent category from the list of categories returned using the “parent” attribute.
I think to something like

<code>
file_download_list
parent=“parentcategory”
showparent=“0”. </code>

The same reasoning should be applied to the txp:linklist tag.
I hope this makes sense…

Regards

Last edited by redbot (2006-10-06 17:40:46)

#2 2006-10-07 12:42:09

redbot
Plugin Author

Re: file and link parent categories

redbot wrote:

I hope this makes sense…

ehm… actually, no.. it’s quite incomprehensible : -)
I’ll say it differently: I’d like to have a “parent” attribute for txp:file_download_list and txp:linklist so I can obtain a list of files or links – grouped by category – in a single page (not a list of linkable categories) and furthermore I’d like to set only a limited number of link and file parent-categories when designing a site, letting the final user create an ulimited number of child-categories in the “organize” tab, which would then be immediatly displayed without the need to hardcode the page template.
For link lists I just found a plugin which should do what I was lookin for and for file lists I use the nice upm_file_packets plugin even if I think the introduction of a “parent” attribute would facilitate things a lot

Last edited by redbot (2006-10-07 12:43:15)

Board footer