Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-07-22 00:50:19

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Bert reporting from Ubuntu…

Firefox is working great, rendering of pages is exactly like Windows. I’m listening to Pink Floyd from some Internet stream, don’t know where it’s coming from but the title is Comfortably Numb.

Let me sign off before I lose connectivity ;)

#14 2006-07-22 14:37:45

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

I have been using Ubuntu since Hoary on my desktop machine, and now with Dapper I’ve also switched over my Notebook (more…). Let me tell you that Ubuntu for me was the first distribution where I never felt the need to boot back into Windows again. And I’ve been experimenting with Linux since 1996 (Slackware 2.2 with Kernel 1.2, later Suse, Redhat/Fedora, Debian, DSL [which is quite good for it’s purposes], and so on and so forth). All of them were thrown of the PC after a few days or weeks of playing with it, except Ubuntu (which I’ve been using all the time). I can only recommend everybody to give it a try and experiment with it. Even if you are not thinking about swithing immediately.

Last edited by Sencer (2006-07-22 14:39:00)

#15 2006-07-22 16:51:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Sencer wrote:

And I’ve been experimenting with Linux since 1996 (Slackware 2.2 with Kernel 1.2, later Suse, Redhat/Fedora, Debian, DSL [which is quite good for it’s purposes], and so on and so forth).

I began playing with Linux in 1997, in 1998 I installed Redhat 5.1 and I’ve been running Linux in one form or another ever since. I’ve tried most of the major Linux distros and settled on Debian a few years back because I fell in love with apt. I also had OpenBSD running as my home’s gateway using wvdial with a 56k modem and using squid to cache our pages.

For those that have never gone through the pain of configuring X, monitor frequencies, modelines, fonts, etc., our enthusiasm for Ubuntu may seem like too much about nothing. But this was the first time I have installed Linux with such little effort and everything just worked from the start.

My servers will continue to run Debian but Ubuntu is my pick for workstations.

#16 2006-07-23 14:19:39

shishira
Website

have been using Kubuntu since 5 months now, didn’t like the default Gnome . . . now i have Konqueror and Opera both of which have passed the acid test …

#17 2006-07-23 17:28:51

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Looks like we crashed the Ubuntu domains ;)

I was on their forums yesterday and the amount of traffic it gets is astronomical.

#18 2006-07-24 03:08:44

macgyver
Website

I have to say Ubuntu rocks \m/. As a matter of fact I just dumped my G4/20 Cinema Display and switched back to Linux.. I switched from Gentoo to OS X when I got a sweet deal on the G4 a while back. While I was running Gentoo as my only OS I purchased an iBook when OS X came out on BSD. I’ve loved it ever since.

However the cost of owning a Mac as opposed to an x86 machine running Linux drove me to the decision to dump OS X … for now. I’ve always been preferred Linux/*BSD over MS, don’t get me wrong I am not a Windows hater, it has it’s place ( at work ) :).

Coming from having installed DedRat 6.1 and having built Linux from scratch, I have to give Ubuntu it’s props. The ease of installation is awesome, and I must say everthing, cept for DRM’d music works without a hitch.

I remember the pain of recompiling my kernel and installing drivers just to get my wireless card to work. I plugged in my DigiCam and gphoto2 picked up automagically.. my jaw dropped.

Give it a try.. it won’t hurt. :)

#19 2006-07-26 09:16:12

Anark

In my personal experience, the “It Just Works” chorus line is a bit of an overstatement. I first tried Ubuntu a bit more than a year ago, about the time when Debian Sarge came out. It just wouldn’t install though and I ended up using plain-vanilla Sarge instead.

I’ve just installed Ubuntu 6.06 on a Sony Vaio and it wasn’t easy either — neither of the two iso images on offer wanted to install, so after much tinkering I tried a 5.10 iso and did a dist-upgrade from there, which worked fine. Now I’m struggling with a wireless issue that just won’t go away.

According to the press at the time, 2004 was supposed to be the Year of Desktop Linux — maybe it’s finally beginning to happen: my impression of the Ubuntu forums is that they’re a lot busier than a year ago and that there are far fewer knowledgeable users lending a hand. The disto might be up to something with its commercial support.

#20 2006-07-26 09:55:54

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Well, have you ever tried doing a fresh install of WindowsXP on a PC or worse Notebook? I am not talking about OEM-ready made restore stuff, but a plain XP-CD. I have – and it is a lot more trouble getting and installing the drivers. Ubuntu, and Linux in general, comes with wider hardware support out of the box than XP.
But I understand what you are saying. I was lucky enough, that all my hardware was suported without twiddling. For me it was plug and play. It’s not that way for everybody. And unless hardware-manufacturers make a little effort, some people will always feel left out (for a while, until hw-support catches up).

Nevermind the press – according to them Linux has been just short of a breaking-through on desktops for at least 7-8 years now. :D

#21 2006-07-26 12:15:14

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Anark wrote:

I’ve just installed Ubuntu 6.06 on a Sony Vaio and it wasn’t easy either

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was buying a Sony Vaio, it’s a PCV-L640, a cross between a desktop and a laptop.

It came with Windows 98 and Sony assumed that it would run 98 for the life of the system. I had a time getting Windows XP on it, no drivers from Sony to be found when I did the upgrade and their support s*cks. The last piece of the puzzle was getting the damn fan to quiet down, Sony had this driver that only worked with 98, glad I found a utility called SpeedFan.

Would Ubuntu install on my Sony without a hitch, I really doubt it.

#22 2006-07-26 21:06:27

NyteOwl

Would Ubuntu install on my Sony without a hitch, I really doubt it.

You might be surprised. A friend installed Slack on a Vaio (560 I tihnk) and went with very little trouble. Wireless was a bit sticky as Ir ecall but all the main bits worked fine right off.

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#23 2006-07-27 21:33:11

Anark

El Reg sez: Ubuntu heads for the mainstream.

Added to modify: Google trend history for Ubuntu, Debian, Redhat, Fedora, Suse (inspired by above).

Last edited by Anark (2006-07-27 21:54:16)

#24 2006-08-05 11:45:09

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Bert

Thanks for this thread, I’ve been following it silently for a bit and have now started playing with the live CD version of this and, as a Windows veteran (who tried dipping my toe into the linux pond a couple of times in the past, only to find the waters too murky to want to jump in) I have to say I am really, really, really impressed with this version. The live CD works with no tweaks on my hardware, something that Suse refused to do.

Compared to the DSLinux product, I much prefer the Ubuntu windowing and the total UI experience (probably not a fair comparison given the space restrictions on DSL though!)

In fact I like this distro so much I’m thinking of installing it and finally detaching myself from XP (Ok, I’d want to dual boot first just to be sure). I’ve gradually been detaching myself from MS with my application choices for a while – migrating from Outlook to TB, IE to FF, then MS Office to OpenOffice etc.

I’d be interested to hear of your experiences with this distro w.r.t the following…

1. XP and Ubuntu dual boot with grub.<br/>Is this viable now? Anyone had any trouble with the install and dual booting?
  2. How easy is it to get a local AMP package installed?<br/>I have the impression (maybe wrong) that Apache on a debian base can be a bit tricky to configure – is that really the case?
  3. I’d like a programmers editor that can equal or eclipse Notepad++<br/>I’m checking out JEdit right now. Any other suggestions?
  4. Security<br/>I’ve been used to running a personal firewall and virus checker on XP so wondering about recommendations about these products too.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

[Edit]
Ok, I pretty much found the answers I was looking for regarding AMP and the firewall from this article. Any other feedback still appreciated.

Last edited by net-carver (2006-08-05 13:45:47)

Steve

Board footer