You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-06-13 01:38:46

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: Admin-Side Comments Form?

Mary
Here are some ideas for you.

Case: Comments are moderated.
It would be fairly easy to handle this case with a simple comment-spam plugin that gives a high visible estimate to comments from the article author or any TXP user with the correct rights (such as a publisher) — essentially allowing them to bypass moderation. Possible problem with this scheme would be out-of-order comments in the commentary list if they replied to a comment that was still pending moderation.

Case: Comments are closed/commenting not allowed.
Closed is closed. So the link gen code on the admin side would need to check if comments are 1) allowed and 2) not expired. Should be pretty simple as this is currently done by core code anyway.

Case: Popup comments.
Never used them so I don’t have any ideas for this case.

Steve

#14 2006-06-13 02:29:25

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

never used popup comments either, but turning that option on with my test install the popup only comes from the “comment” link on the index pages, but the form remains in the main portion of the page when you’re viewing a single article… so I don’t see that as an issue.

And I’m not sure what the harm is in sending you to /article/1/first-post#comment if the fragment id doesn’t exist in the page.. you just get to the top of the live page and have to scroll down. Still much better then looking up the related article ID by hovering over the proper link (which you have to do now) or seeing it in the proper column (with this latest update) and then manually entering the right URL in the browser’s address bar

if you don’t think that is clean enough then maybe try and work in a “view the live article” link instead of a “view this comment” or “reply to this comment” link.

Site: placenamehere.com
Microformat Plugin: pnh_mf

#15 2006-06-13 06:30:36

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I appreciate the feedback. :)

Hm, well, convoluted workarounds isn’t a good habit to start. A solution needs to being and remain straight-forward, if we care at all about a system that “just works”. And, I do. I’m sure you do as well. :)

And I’m not sure what the harm is in sending you to /article/1/first-post#comment if the fragment id doesn’t exist in the page…

Because a user interprets that as “broken” (believe me, it doesn’t take much for that to happen…). And it is rather inelegant, in my view; as you say, “not clean enough”. :)

if you don’t think that is clean enough then maybe try and work in a “view the live article” link instead of a “view this comment” or “reply to this comment” link.

That’s quite workable, I think. What if I modified the “Parent” column value to say “view | edit”? Would that suit you guys? I quite like that actually.

#16 2006-06-14 06:13:08

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

That solution would work for me… though I think a “go to this comment on the live site” or “reply to this comment on the live site” make more sense in the context of the admin page you’re on i don’t mind the scrolling down :)

#17 2006-06-14 23:42:34

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

You’ll be happy to hear that on both the articles and comments tabs, there are links to edit and view the article or comment, as well as a link to the comments or parent article.

#18 2006-06-15 01:12:52

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

May I make a suggestion?

I like the view option but I’m used to clicking the title to edit the article and I’ve only been using TXP for a few months. Maybe leave the old behaviour where you click the title to edit the article and maybe make the ID a link to view it?

Following that train of thought, we can carry it over to images, click the ID to view the image in the browser window, rather than bringing up the edit screen.

What a difference in the admin area, looking at the latest code and 4.0.3 side by side in Firefox tabs, I can appreciate the tweaks.

#19 2006-06-16 15:44:10

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

hmm.. thought I replied again to this… but guess not

in any case, thanks again for the work on this mary!

#20 2006-06-16 19:26:19

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

There are two problems with using ids:

1. Except for the comments, ids can be very small to click on.
  2. It’s not immediately obvious why clicking on an id should do anything, except perhaps editing. Adding “edit” and “view” removes the ambiguity. :)

I brought back clicking on titles to edit. :)

Board footer