Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-05-18 15:05:50

root

Admin-Side Comments Form?

Something quick and convenient; add a “reply to” button in the discuss page (per comment?) and redirect to admin-side comment form for that specific article. Is this possible? :D

#2 2006-05-19 02:31:57

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Admin-Side Comments Form?

I like how WordPress handles comments from logged-in authors. If you haven’t seen it, you can check it out in a demo.

#3 2006-06-10 03:53:15

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Anyone ever do anything with the original suggestion?

I was thinking I’d throw together a quick plugin that just adds another row onto the comments table and the comment edit pages in the admin section with a “reply” link that just goes to the in page form.

there’s a plugin floating around somewhere for highligting posts by specific commentor (close to the WP thing you were looking for but the plugin had the values to compare against hard coded instead of pulling from the author tables) but I haven’t used it because of the markup it used and me not liking the results when comments were shown as a list. Would have been sweet to wrap comments in a <li class="mycomment"> or something but couldn’t figure it out with the version i was looking at.

But that’s a bit of a different issue then just making it easier to reply to a comment you find in the comments tab.

Site: placenamehere.com
Microformat Plugin: pnh_mf

#4 2006-06-10 04:40:38

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

placenamehere,
Did you take a look at the comment pack?. It handles author recognition vs the TXP tables rather than hard coded list. It doesn’t have anything to improve admin-side comment management though.

Mary,
Any clues as to what is in store for comment handling in the next major release? Are the comment handling and admin interfaces pretty much the same in terms of functionality (if not in terms of the html they generate) ?

Steve

#5 2006-06-10 04:46:48

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I don’t think much is happening (as in: planned) with regard to comments for 4.1, as there are a bunch of other long-time-coming things trying to be crammed in there. I have made a bunch of small improvements to the admin comment interface for 4.0.4, I haven’t commited them yet as I’m waiting on getting translation straightened out (that’s always the way: a thing that depends upon something else that depends upon something else…) But, I can keep this in mind and see what I can manage to do/influence. :)

#6 2006-06-10 04:59:41

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

no net-carver.. this was months ago when i looked at the other plugin thanks for the pointer

#7 2006-06-10 05:32:02

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Mary,
the reason I asked is that I have been considering writing a plugin to do comment handling via an extension tab. The basic idea being to manage your site’s comments in a more flexible way by allowing different views of the comments list, sorted by parent article, poster’s name etc and also by the status of the comments. In particular to the workflow needed to deal with moderation of comments and auto-banning IPs that send multiple comments that get marked as spam by spam-trap plugins.

I haven’t put much thought into it other than that and don’t want to duplicate any work if the core team are doing it already.

Steve

#8 2006-06-10 05:50:42

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

…allowing different views of the comments list, sorted by parent article, poster’s name etc and also by the status of the comments.

That’s part of my 4.0.4 changes. :) I’ve also got it so that comments have a link to it’s article parent (not just list the article title) as well as more search options (at present you can only search comment messages). Like I said, it’s pretty much done, I’m just waiting on getting the lang part updated so I can commit the changes. :)

Basically I’m going through, tab by tab, updating all these little things that need doing.

#9 2006-06-10 05:52:47

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Thanks! That’s one thing off my to-do list. I may still take a shot at the auto-banning feature at some point.

Steve

#10 2006-06-10 12:06:22

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

hmm… looking at the code i pulled from the 4.0 svn tree last night it seems some minor changes have already gone into the comments list page since 4.0.3… the parent ID of the post the comment is in is now shown next the the name of that post, but its wrapped in an EM of all things.. right where I would have pul the “reply” link (that goes to the comments form on the live page)

Guess i’ll watch the checkins for a bit and see what else you’re up to Mary before I just the gun and write a admin plugin that either does the same as you or needs to munge a different markup structure with the DOM

#11 2006-06-13 00:50:53

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just saw the latest checkins to the comments page on my local install.

Looks great, but I think its still missing the one item I’d find most useful.. a good link to be able to reply to a comment you’re seeing (-> live article’s public comment form is just fine, I really not looking for another admin side form)

I guess “see on the live site” links could be littered all over the place (comment list, comment page, article page) but out of my own habits I most often find myself checking to see if there are new comments and if I want to reply then trying to chase down a valid page on the site to do so — so that’s the most important spot for a crossover point I see.

#12 2006-06-13 01:25:23

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

The only problem with that might be that’s not always available: if your comments are moderated, if they are expired (no comment form), if you don’t display comments (some use it like a kind of private guestbook), if you use popups instead of having comments inline, etc. With all those possibilities, it makes it difficult to keep things simple. Any ideas?

Board footer