Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#205 2006-05-17 13:13:46

igner
Plugin Author

Re: ign_password_protect

I’ve heard this come up a couple times, but I’ve not been able to recreate it.

A couple questions:
  • What version of TXP are you running?
  • What version of the plugin?
  • Using the txp_users database or the alternate?

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#206 2006-05-17 21:07:49

Algaris

Hi igner thanks for the reply. In answer to your questions:

Textpattern version: 4.0.3 (r1188)
ign_password_protect 0.4.2c
txp_users

#207 2006-05-18 12:32:02

igner
Plugin Author

Strange. The only reason that you’d get the failed login message is if the ign_user cookie is set but doesn’t match the credentials in the system. Check if you have the cookie, and delete it if present.

#208 2006-05-18 14:52:54

Algaris

Ha! I found out what the problem was.

Because this is a test area of my site I’ve been using a CGI script to password protect the whole directory.

It appears that the CGI script and ign_password_protect both conflict with each other. I removed the script from my .htaccess file and everything works as it should.

It is a shame that I won’t be able to lock the whole directory down as before, but I guess I can live with that.

Thank you for your help and replies.

Not that it matters now I guess, but in answer to your question there was no ign_user cookie set on my machine.

Last edited by Algaris (2006-05-18 15:12:39)

#209 2006-05-18 15:11:45

igner
Plugin Author

Yep, that makes sense – the plugin tests to see if credentials are being passed in either as POST variables or from the AUTH_USER and AUTH_PW variables (passed in from the browser authentication). And I assume that the password protection on the directory was using those values.

One thought to make it work in the short run is to use the same user name and password for both. (though if you have different permission levels in the plugin / on the site, you’ll have to test those with the directory protection turned off)

#210 2006-05-18 15:14:50

Algaris

Thank you. I’ll give that a try.

#211 2006-05-25 03:17:53

cabanadigital

Hi there. I’m working on a commercial site and my client requested me a protected area for the company’s clients, which allow them to access some exclusive files. I downloaded and installed ign_password_protect successfully. I think it’s a great tool. Here’s the issue: although I could placed the contact form in the home page, I wasn’t be able to achieve that the logging directed me into a specific category.
I wonder if what I need is possible through this plugging, or if I just have to follow another way.

Thanks Jeremy for this plugging… and thanks everybody.

Jose

p.s. sorry for my bad english

#212 2006-05-25 03:36:03

Michael
Website

Jose, I think you should

• Create a new section and password-protect the whole section with ign_password_protect.
  • Create a link to all files within this section on your homepage that is visible only after the clients logged in. – This is easy to achieve.

As far as I know, you cannot redirect users to another category/section/whatsoever immediately after login.

#213 2006-05-25 03:51:41

igner
Plugin Author

no – the plugin currently does not do any sort of redirecting on login. Depending on your PHP skills, it could feasibly be added (I don’t have the time to do it myself at the moment).

also, it’s important to note that the plugin doesn’t technically secure file downloads that are uploaded to the Files tab – the best it’ll currently do is to obscure file listings, but a user could guess at the download URLs and download files anyway. (The plugin also doesn’t protect content in search results or feeds, so bear that in mind.)

#214 2006-05-25 03:56:06

Michael
Website

Concerning the file downloads and the feed, I have to agree with the master, concerning the search results, not: You can hide search results with the plugin hidden in the used form in an <txp:if_search> – Tag.

#215 2006-05-25 04:06:49

igner
Plugin Author

Michael wrote:

Concerning the file downloads and the feed, I have to agree with the master, concerning the search results, not: You can hide search results with the plugin hidden in the used form in an <txp:if_search> – Tag.

well, that’s partially true – if you want to password protect all the result listings. Depending on what / how you’re protecting content, you could conceivably build some tricky logic using if_category and if_section to selectively apply protection (though I’m not 100% sure that’d really work – I’d have to take another look at how search results are generated). And I’m WAY too tired to do it now :)

#216 2006-05-25 04:10:34

Michael
Website

I no longer use TXP’s search-function, but I could even selectively protect parts of my website, since it is working right now similar to flickr: There is a “friends & family”-section and the “public” one. If you are logged in – everything, even the search results are different.

And igner: Go to bed now! ;-)

Board footer