Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#193 2005-08-02 22:17:24

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: TXP Template Contest : Starting a Pledge ! Will you sign up ?

hi mary, just ask Dean. If you do not get him “on the phone” :) ask Sencer. Sencer is usually very kind and helpfull.

Yes he is, there is no doubt about it.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2005-08-02 22:17:54)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#194 2005-08-02 23:29:30

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Really I just wanted to see what the output from the theme creator side was like. I have looked through the various bits of code, not that I’m a coder or anything, but I suspect what you suggest about a tab in admin would be needed. It would have to be in a “fixed” place whoever installed it. And the “theme” file would have to be uploaded to a specific place as well I suspect so that the installer script could “find” it or are you meant to drop the theme file into the box or something. Then I presume some kind of connection to maybe config.php to pick up the database details which would be needed to write to it. Can all this stuff be wrapped up into an admin-side plug-in?

I then have to ask “Is it worth all the effort?” This would still only allow you to install a single “theme” though it would obviously make it a lot easier for newcomers. On the other hand installing one of my “Systems” manually as they currently exist makes newcomers aware of how parts of TXP work. I’m in two minds about it now. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#195 2005-08-02 23:43:46

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

“…or are you meant to drop the theme file into the box or something…”

Yes, just like plugin install.

“…Then I presume some kind of connection to maybe config.php to pick up the database details which would be needed to write to it…”

Nope, because of…

“…Can all this stuff be wrapped up into an admin-side plug-in?…”

Yes, that’d be the idea.

“…This would still only allow you to install a single ‘theme’…”

Well, there are two ways to go about it.

1. Designer uses the one to create the paste string – just like plugins. The user installs the other to allow theme install, then picks a theme and installs it. Later, they could install another through it just as easily, if not more so because they already have the theme installer available.
  2. Create your own standalone theme plugin as you describe. The possible benefit of this one would be you could integrate a “restore” function, etc.

That’s part of the wait too: if Textpattern supports this itself, it’ll mean it would earn its own database table, which really increases the possibilities.

Last edited by Mary (2005-08-02 23:44:33)

#196 2005-08-03 00:01:19

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Of course!! The output is going to be base64 isn’t it? Tut tut. I keep thinking in terms of “zip”. (bangs head several times on nearby wall.)

When I said a single theme I meant a single theme “at a time” unlike the multiple theme facility developed for WP. Not that I’m suggesting we want that. I would shy away from it myself. The reason I mention it is in relation to “is it worth the effort”.

Stuart

#197 2005-08-03 23:54:12

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I think so. Sure, you and I can change forms ourselves, but think of the ease of installing themes for newbs. Paste a string, your whole site changes.

Multiple themes, I dunno. That’s somewhat more difficult for a plugin, but for a built-in feature not too bad. Then again, ease: toggle a switch, and your whole site changes. I don’t know if I would ever do this, but then I just might. I could work on my site’s theme on my local dev, create an install for it – dead simple, and then make it live at a flick of a switch! That’s a very attractive possibility, as far as I am concerned.

#198 2005-08-04 00:07:16

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I tend to agree with your first point. I think that would cover your second example as well though. Just paste it in and bingo. No need for multiple theme support unless you’re the type that likes to switch them around every week. :)

Stuart

#199 2005-08-04 00:13:31

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Yeah, that’s true.

#200 2005-08-07 23:47:12

marios
Archived Plugin Author

I’ve been checking David’s wikki now,seems there no changes recently.
So what I’ve been wondering about is basically three things:

1)Is the default template going to stay(RC5) as a requirement not to be modified?

2)No class hooks on the containers seems a bit silly though,especially when dealing with multiple dynamic design blocks.

3)Or how would it be at least to have 1 more level of divitis inside the main divisions allowed to get layout possibilities increased.
(Or if there are strong forces towards accessibility only trend, to have a design centered only category allowed,with the restriction may be of going one level down.)

I’d therefore be interested in opinions about updating the wiki rules, and personally would suggest that cloning of multiple design blocks(logically one level down from the main div) that would be allready there once in the markup been allowed, this would in now way complicate installation for novices provided a short explanation in the installation instructions.

with best regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2005-08-08 00:00:28)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#201 2005-08-08 01:01:18

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well the first thing I would say is to wait a week for developments then hopefully we have a fixed starting point.

I’m rather taken with Mary’s nearly plug-ins. Being able to use these would mean little restriction from a template point-of-view though plug-ins would still be out methinks.

If we are going to display these on TextGarden (which is what it was set up for after all) then maybe we should use the templates as they are over there. That way a style switcher of some kind could be used.

Anyone whose design needed different templates could host it themselves and add it to TextGarden in the same way that the ones already there have been.

My own preference would be to have a template very similar to the default but with extra divs with classes/ids added to give some flexibility. It would then be handy if TextGarden used the same template.

Of course one could say that designing to the default template would bring out all the latent CSS skills none of us have. :)

I think that would be very restrictive for things like photoblog or commercial-type designs though.

Stuart

#202 2005-08-08 04:38:41

jufemaiz
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well guys – I’m thinking of doing a photoblog template for this… (sorry about the delay but have had a tonne of uni work then other projects + a little time off).

One question: what size would people prefer to display photos on a photoblog at?

BE + MEngSc = engineer with a side dish of frustrated designer/developer with a penchant for photography outside

#203 2005-08-08 07:33:11

davidm

Hi marios,

True I have been totally out of it this past month, first because of work, and then I was on vacation in Bretagne… I just came back. As for the contest, I was under the impression that the whole thing was now handled by the textgarden.org team… is it not ?

I’ll try to come back strong but right now I find myself drowned in the huge amount of news that I skipped lately on the forum (and, also, by a lot of work which is good :-) … RC5, already ! I was still on RC3 rev 300 something…

.: Retired :.

#204 2005-08-08 09:58:12

marios
Archived Plugin Author

welcome back David, finally you’re there,I hope it was nice in the Bretagne,and you could rest some little.Many things have changed lately here, and allthough usually checking everyday:Yes I admit allso,I am loosing sight.
On the other hand a final version seems close at hand AFAIU.
Still I’m not that sure about those rules, allthough Stuarts post was quite insightfull.

With best regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

Board footer