1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

#217 2020-04-22 16:21:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Corona virus

A study, supporting droplets rather than aerosol as key means of C19 transmission. One asymptomatic individual infected 10 of 91 people who were in direct line of the air pushed by the A/C at a restaurant in China. Aerosol would have infected others, too.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#218 2020-04-22 16:25:14

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #322677:

A study, supporting droplets rather than aerosol as key means of C19 transmission. One asymptomatic individual infected 10 of 91 people who were in direct line of the air pushed by the A/C at a restaurant in China. Aerosol would have infected others, too.

wow … that is interesting. Bet the same principal would be present in airplanes with all that air being pushed about.

…. texted postive

#219 2020-04-22 16:59:48

colak
Admin

bici wrote #322678:

wow … that is interesting. Bet the same principal would be present in airplanes with all that air being pushed about.

Indeed! It’s very scary isn’t it?

Yiannis
——————————

#220 2020-04-22 20:20:25

uli

I usually don’t read studies and I don’t do full quotes, but this time please read the quote again after you understood that A/C in the following text means “air condition”:

colak wrote #322677:

Some weeks ago I had to cough in an (air conditioned) supermarket, I didn’t have a face mask at that time, so I went into a deserted corner, stooped and coughed at the floor. If I had been a person with the virus, I would still have infected people at a completely different corner of that market.

colak wrote #322679:

It’s very scary isn’t it?

That is scary, yup.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#221 2020-04-24 12:19:54

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Copied directly from a Facebook post by one of our local elected officials:

Our local numbers increased from 71 to 74 positives……while only reporting another 17 new tests. Not a great percentage there, to be sure. 28 hospitalizations, with only 7 currently in the hospital. Still at 7 fatalities…First, we did hear unofficial reports of about 2/3 of the 350 tests that were taken at Advent Health’s recent mass testing event on Sunday. Not one ‘positive among them’. Yes, everyone was apparently symptomatic, but not ‘positive’……great news! We eagerly await the remaining 1/3, and for ALL of them to show up in our county’s official testing numbers. Maybe tomorrow? Hope so!

Hopefully things are looking up. But it will be a long time before things are completely normal.

The college where I work is planning to continue virtual learning for the first Summer session (6 weeks starting in May) and seeing where things go from there.

#222 2020-04-24 14:30:43

colak
Admin

michaelkpate wrote #322690:

Hopefully things are looking up. But it will be a long time before things are completely normal.

The college where I work is planning to continue virtual learning for the first Summer session (6 weeks starting in May) and seeing where things go from there.

That’s good news. Although I read somewhere that the tests are not 100% correct. There are nurse cases that produce conflicting results day by day. I’m nevertheless glad, that spatial distancing will be maintained.

Yiannis
——————————

#223 2020-04-28 06:24:14

colak
Admin

An excellent article by Douglas Rushkoff on the medium: Restoring the Economy Is the Last Thing We Should Want

…the sooner and more completely we restore the old economy, the faster we simply recreate the conditions that got us sick in the first place and rendered us incapable of mounting an effective response. The economy we’re committed to restoring is no more the victim of the Covid-19 crisis than it is the cause. We have to stop asking when will things get back to normal. They won’t. There is no going back. And that’s actually good news.

Yiannis
——————————

#224 2020-04-28 12:20:27

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #322728:

An excellent article by Douglas Rushkoff on the medium: Restoring the Economy Is the Last Thing We Should Want

While we transition away from Capitalism to the Utopian Model, there are a few things we may wish to maintain.

The issue, however, is not food scarcity — at least, not yet. Rather, it’s the world’s drastic measures in response to the virus. Border closures, movement restrictions, and disruptions in the shipping and aviation industries have made it harder to continue food production and transport goods internationally — placing countries with few alternative food sources at high risk. – The coronavirus pandemic could threaten global food supply, UN warns

I would hate to see people starve just to make a point.

#225 2020-04-28 14:53:09

colak
Admin

michaelkpate wrote #322738:

While we transition away from Capitalism to the Utopian Model, there are a few things we may wish to maintain.

I would hate to see people starve just to make a point.

Ruskoff discusses that in the US context

Yes, it may be true that every 1% rise in unemployment leads to a corresponding 1% rise in suicides. And it’s true that an extended freeze of the economy could shorten the lifespan of 6.4 million Americans entering the job market by an average of about two years. But such metrics say less about the human cost of the downturn than they do about the dangerously absolute dependence of workers on traditional employment for basic sustenance — an artifact of an economy that has been intentionally rigged to favor big banks and passive shareholders over small and local businesses that actually provide goods and services in a sustainable way.

I know it is idealistic but idealism is the only thing we have left.

Yiannis
——————————

#226 2020-04-29 04:48:43

colak
Admin

dkv is another site with analytics regarding the Corona virus. What I found interesting was their top 15 most supportive governments ranking, which just does not look right. I believe that Germany might be, and I also agree the the Cyprus government should not be included in that list. Having USA at #2 and UK at #4 though, was a surprise, although I believe that the UK ranking is because of the 80% subsidy on salaries.

It would be good to know from your experiences how your government is helping you directly, especially if you are self employed.

Yiannis
——————————

#227 2020-04-29 08:56:34

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #322743:

What I found interesting was their top 15 most supportive governments ranking, which just does not look right.

ugh… where did they get that idea. Japan at number 3 ? or is the rest of the world that bad ? JPN Government, after some pushing and pulling and bizarre dances (as usual) will now give everybody ¥100,000- (~ € 900). And that is it. Maybe there will be some support for small businesses. Maybe.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#228 2020-04-29 14:53:12

colak
Admin

phiw13 wrote #322746:

ugh… where did they get that idea. Japan at number 3? or is the rest of the world that bad ? JPN Government, after some pushing and pulling and bizarre dances (as usual) will now give everybody ¥100,000- (~ € 900). And that is it. Maybe there will be some support for small businesses. Maybe.

I’m not sure what the cost of living is in JP but I’m sure that it varies depending on where you live. €900 is just under 3x more to what the cy gov will be giving me. Basic rents for studio flats in Cy cities is €500/month.

Yiannis
——————————

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Corona virus

Board footer