Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-02-10 08:39:57

Destry
Website

Hey!

Coming soon.

If anyone can get email right, the folks at Basecamp might.

That said, I have zero problems with spam using Protonmail (unlike the flood of spam I always get through accounts setup on web hosts), and they are battle-hardened against multiple, persistent, intense DDoS attacks since launching; the first being almost immediately after their launch. So, I’m in no hurry to change. But nice to see a new, ethical player in a space needing ethical players.

#2 2020-02-10 13:57:39

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Hey!

Sure, great. But still an american company, who can’t do anything about handing out our data to NSA, should they being asked.

#3 2020-02-10 15:23:34

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

planeth wrote #321594:

Sure, great. But still an american company, who can’t do anything about handing out our data to NSA, should they being asked.

Unfortunately, this is going international, starting with Five Eyes and is expanding fast with France, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Japan, Belgium, Italy, Spain and Sweden. Basically there will be a lot of pro-privacy struggles ahead.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2020-02-10 15:35:28

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

@colak, sure. I was more wary of the Cloud Act, which directly aimed at GDPR (IMHO). You’re right that a lot more is taking place :(

#5 2020-02-10 16:26:35

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

mail.ru is still a thing.

#6 2020-02-10 19:14:36

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

michaelkpate wrote #321598:

mail.ru is still a thing.

I agree with you! Their algorithms are absolutely scary! My comment was indeed more regional than I intended it to be. But in the end, should it not be about us? Our direct experiences? Should it not be about making our lives better? If I learned anything, is that happier neighbours are better neighbours. Shouldn’t we all be aiming to be the happier ones?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#7 2020-02-11 00:32:27

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #321593:

Coming soon.

If anyone can get email right, the folks at Basecamp might.

That said, I have zero problems with spam using Protonmail (unlike the flood of spam I always get through accounts setup on web hosts), and they are battle-hardened against multiple, persistent, intense DDoS attacks since launching; the first being almost immediately after their launch. So, I’m in no hurry to change. But nice to see a new, ethical player in a space needing ethical players.

Thanks for the heads up! I have asked for an invite. I really really want to get rid of gmail.

…. texted postive

#8 2020-02-11 06:40:14

dos

Interesting. I really appreciate the guys behind Basecamp. They tend to “do their own thing” which is always refreshing. Otherwise, if you’re looking for good e-mail alternatives: Fastmail is the best thing out there.

“HaHa. Your medium is dying.” –Nelson Muntz, Springfield.

#9 2020-02-11 06:41:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

dos wrote #321609:

Otherwise, if you’re looking for good e-mail alternatives: Fastmail is the best thing out there.

+1 to this.

#10 2020-02-11 08:07:16

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Another alternative that has been recommended to me, especially on the privacy and security front: tutanota. Germany based, with their quite reasonable privacy legislation. But Germany also means five eyes associated. (and no I do not believe Protonmail is all that spy proof)

colak wrote #321601:

But in the end, should it not be about us? Our direct experiences? Should it not be about making our lives better? If I learned anything, is that happier neighbours are better neighbours. Shouldn’t we all be aiming to be the happier ones?

Dito that one.

–~–~–

The game for some is using the various email / hosting etc services and their respective spy/spy patrons agains each other. (Using VK together with Facecrap / Twitter).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#11 2020-02-11 21:18:39

bici
Website Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #321612:

Another alternative that has been recommended to me, especially on the privacy and security front: tutanota. Germany based, with their quite reasonable privacy legislation. But Germany also means five eyes associated. (and no I do not believe Protonmail is all that spy proof)

Well live and learn. Tutanota looks very interesting. And it has a free plan!
If it is soam proof that is good enough for me. √ .

…. texted postive

#12 2020-02-13 15:27:43

Destry
Website

I’ve had a tutanota account since they launched. It was very rocky for them for a while, and product was buggy for a long time. But they are still at it. I rarely use it, but it is available as a non-biz backup account when needed.

I doubt any email account is spy-free, but some are better than others.

Board footer