Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-12-05 11:45:43

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

Any metalheads out there?

I recently rebuilt the site of good friend of mine. He is doing a really good doom metal solo project.

The previous version one was a single page website. But it was growing bigger and bigger over the time and in the end it was really slow. So I decided to break the sinlge pager in parts and installed Textpattern.
All in all it’s now a quite straightforward section based Textpattern site. With the design I choose to be close to the CD and album artwork but opened the space a little bit. It should be somewhat responsive (mobile first) and had tiny effects.

To include the merch section with the shop was a later desicion, so the shop feels a bit misplaced and on some points the UI/UX are not ideal (before there were only paypal buy buttons).

The plugins I used (no surprises here):

• zem_contact_reborn
  • zem_contact_lang
  • yab_youtube (simple YT-Iframe-Wrapper)
  • yab_shop_core (the shop is a bit modified for different shipping costs)
  • yab_shop_admin
  • yab_shop_3rd_party
  • yab_email
  • yab_admin_ui (some backend UI modifications)
  • upm_textile_toggle
  • stm_article_order
  • rvm_privileged
  • bot_image_upload
  • abl_droploader

#2 2014-12-05 15:57:19

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Any metalheads out there?

Can’t confess to being a metalhead but it’s a nicely-done site you have there. Lots of patina and a good photos…

Just out of curiosity, what does your yab_admin_ui do?

PS: I also did a site for some mates in East Germany a couple of years ago (but as a single-page site and not responsive): beringsee.eu – not as involved as your site, and not as noisy as your friends’ stuff either…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2014-12-05 16:47:03

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Nicely looking and working, without this “foundation-bootstrap” feeling.

#4 2014-12-08 11:45:43

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

Just out of curiosity, what does your yab_admin_ui do?

Yab_admin_ui changes a custom_field to a radio input here in this project. In other projects it displays or hides things (custom_fields, excerpt etc.) depending of the choosen section or category or logged-in user or it prefills some custom_fields. Sometimes it shows a warning or notice (f.i. recommended image size) for the – not so experienced – backend user.

Generally I use the name yab_admin_ui as plugin name for specialized tasks in the backend. It’s not a publishable plugin. :)

#5 2014-12-10 22:19:45

moon blake

Generally I use the name yab_admin_ui as plugin name for specialized tasks in the backend. It’s not a publishable plugin. :)

May I ask why not? It would be great to have this feature:

it displays or hides things (custom_fields, excerpt etc.) depending of the choosen section or category or logged-in user

Here in the forum it was often asked for the ability to hide parts of the admin area, especially specific sections. Mostly to restrict authors with specific privs to specific sections. As far as I know this is not possible with any other plugin.

#6 2014-12-10 22:29:13

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

moon blake wrote #286410:

Here in the forum it was often asked for the ability to hide parts of the admin area, especially specific sections. Mostly to restrict authors with specific privs to specific sections. As far as I know this is not possible with any other plugin.

Here is Stef’s snippet that can be easily adapted to your case.

#7 2014-12-11 16:41:56

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

May I ask why not? It would be great to have this feature:

Most of the stuff is hardcoded, often specialized to a project and all is very hackish. There is no maintanable code to publish. Rewriting this code to be generally useful and configurable it’s a bit too much for me this time. But maybe later, will see.

But I thought there was such a (or similar) plugin, besides the snippet etc mentioned…

#8 2014-12-11 16:48:06

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

Found it: bot_write_tab_customize does some of the tasks.

And there was ied_hide_in_admin version but it’s an orphan now.

Last edited by trenc (2014-12-11 16:50:52)

#9 2014-12-14 22:41:47

moon blake

Thanks to etc and trenc for the hints, I will take a look at it.
But at a first glance I don’t think that the code linked by etc will be easily adapted into a plugin – for me. Unfortunately I don’t “speak” any PHP.
I will take a deeper look at bot_write_tab_customize.
Thanks guys.

#10 2014-12-15 08:02:32

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

moon blake wrote #286410:

Here in the forum it was often asked for the ability to hide parts of the admin area, especially specific sections. Mostly to restrict authors with specific privs to specific sections.

Just explain which parts (article section choice? all articles from some sections) you need to hide, someone will surely be able to help.

Board footer