Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2014-09-21 15:13:34

colak
Admin
Website

Re: Textpattern CMS demo site

Hi Pete, all,

I think that Pete’s demo should be linked by both this forum (at the bottom where external links are posted), textpattern.com where we are currently linking to an old txp version on opensourcecms and the ,org site.

A suggestion would be to use the rah_external_output plugin in the .com site and create one linklist there which can be then used by txp family of sites.

Easy and quick:)

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | State Machines | NeMe @ github
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#32 2015-07-21 13:27:20

etc
Developer
Website

Hi Pete,

would it be possible to include in the package some plugins and populate the site a little more? We could use it then as convenient testing platform for txptips. With new themes popping out, we could probably even serve tips as themes?

#33 2015-07-21 15:44:45

gaekwad
Admin

etc wrote #293579:

would it be possible to include in the package some plugins and populate the site a little more? We could use it then as convenient testing platform for txptips. With new themes popping out, we could probably even serve tips as themes?

I’m not averse to the idea, but my concern is that it’ll become a catch-all for everything, become too big to manage and then lose its (niche) value. I will, eventually, find time to write up how it runs so anyone can roll their own. It’s running atop a $5 Digital Ocean server on a bunch of cron scripts. None of it is particularly clever or optimised.

I pledge to find some time to a) bring it to EU hosting, b) add 4.6-dev alongside the latest release if that’s viable and c) write the whole process up so it can be cloned elsewhere. I can’t/won’t promise when, but if this would be helpful to the cause, that might spur me on a bit.

#34 2015-07-21 18:29:56

colak
Admin
Website

gaekwad wrote #293593:

I pledge to find some time to a) bring it to EU hosting, b) add 4.6-dev alongside the latest release if that’s viable and c) write the whole process up so it can be cloned elsewhere. I can’t/won’t promise when, but if this would be helpful to the cause, that might spur me on a bit.

That would be an excellent txptip:)

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | State Machines | NeMe @ github
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#35 2016-09-10 12:40:37

gaekwad
Admin

Demo site should be running Textpattern 4.6.0 by 1800UTC.

#36 2016-09-11 03:50:25

bici
Website

Написать! great job.

…. texted postive

#37 2017-04-16 14:37:29

gaekwad
Admin

textpattern.co/demo

• Moved server to Amsterdam (was San Francisco), rebuilt with Ubuntu 16.04LTS (was 14.04LTS)
  • Added 5x user roles

Last edited by gaekwad (2017-04-16 14:37:44)

#38 2017-04-17 05:58:27

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Cheers Pete. The demo site has a prominent position in the new Textpattern homepage. Which I’ll share with you directly (it’s not for public viewing right now).

#39 2017-11-24 23:49:54

gaekwad
Admin

Until now the Textpattern demo site has been limited to the most recent release/production version. I am very pleased to announce I’m adding a subdomain for the current in-development version direct from GitHub. This is an early alpha announcement to people subscribing on this thread, I’m hoping to overhaul things in the coming weeks as time permits.

For the meantime, and this link may change so please don’t rely on it, the link to use is

dev-demo.textpattern.co

(https or http).

Notes:

• the dev demo site pulls the latest software from GitHub every three hours
  • the login credentials are the same as the production version (see here for username/password)
  • there are no images or files, they are on the to-do list
  • everything is nuked and rebuilt from scratch every three hours
  • …it uses the same awkward Bunch O’ Bash© as the release version site

This new development is possible thanks to work undertaken by makss in the past few weeks. Makss has added a CLI option to install Textpattern, and it’s fantastic.

The install process for 4.7 (subject to change, it’s still in development) can be automated from a command line. To put this in perspective, the script I wrote to build the demo every three hours tears down the previous install, flattens the files and database, grabs the latest source from GitHub, runs the automated install according to settings in a JSON file, and builds the new site in about 11 seconds. I am certain I can make this even faster, but it’s blisteringly fast compared to walking through the GUI process.

I’ll overhaul and tidy the demo server in December, but you can trial the development version right now without setting up a development environment.

More soon. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by gaekwad (2017-11-24 23:51:13)

#40 2017-11-25 00:17:21

Bloke
Developer
Website

Oh that is smoooooth!

Now we just have to watch we don’t break the dev branch too often :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer