Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2018-05-04 13:19:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Textpattern CMS demo site

Bumping this thread with some important legal info.

When GDPR kicks in later this month, things may change on the demo site – if the current Textpattern beta and dev version contain any kind of visitor/commenter logging with identification (e.g. IP address etc), the sites will be disabled with an explanatory note.

As the person doing the hosting, I cannot in good faith expect everyone using the site to abide by GDPR by leaving logging off, leaving disclaimers etc in place, removing any GDPR-enforcing plugins and so on.

The dev team are working diligently on GDPR compliance here and if that goes smoothly before the commencement of GDPR, we’ll be all systems go on the demo site.

Any questions, please ask and I’ll do my best to answer them (I am not a lawyer).

All resolved, no longer relevant.

Last edited by gaekwad (2018-05-10 13:24:23)

#50 2018-05-04 13:37:36

jakob
Admin
Website

How about:

• Make it an obvious condition of use that any information submitted will be publicly viewable for the period of the demo?
  • Notifying that the demo automatically self-deletes after 3 hours. (you do that)
  • Preventing google from logging any information. (you may do that already too)
  • Maybe it’s possible to remove access to the logging pref during automatic installation (e.g. setting the pref to hidden so it never shows)?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#51 2018-05-04 13:50:42

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Hey jakob – thanks for your reply.

jakob wrote #311619:

How about:

• Make it an obvious condition of use that any information submitted will be publicly viewable for the period of the demo?

I could make that happen on the landing page, and put something on the login page, perhaps with a persistent bar across the front-side, too…my worry is that there are still ways for users to remove all this stuff without my knowledge. There have been some attempts at shady activity over the past few years, but at the same time there are issues that have likely been expedited because of the high availability and low barrier to entry. It’s a balance that I struggle with over and over.

• Notifying that the demo automatically self-deletes after 3 hours. (you do that)

Yep.

• Preventing google from logging any information. (you may do that already too)

Top tier search engines, yes. Any search engine that respects robots.txt, yes. Any other search engine, out of my control…which concerns me.

• Maybe it’s possible to remove access to the logging pref during automatic installation (e.g. setting the pref to hidden so it never shows)?

That I can do. Good idea. Same with comments, I guess. But (thinking like Señor Destry), that data is still recorded despite it not being visible, so I’ll need to disable that as well.

Actually, this is probably the best solution – bash stuff out as part of the build and limit the ways it can be turned on again. I mean, sure, there are ways any of this stuff can be re-enabled if the right people know the right skills, but that’s definitely a good avenue to pursue.

Thanks again!

#52 2018-05-10 13:23:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

…and Textpattern 4.7.0-rc1 is go. Links to public- and admin-side are here:

textpattern.co/demo

Please note: from today, SSL is enforced because it’s 2018 and I’m feeling fancy.

#53 2018-07-02 19:56:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bump with a heads-up…

There’s some strangeness happening on the demo site server (very sluggish SSH server, high CPU usage), and the fastest/smoothest resolution is to rebuild in another rack or datacenter.

So, please expect some bumps as I rebuild on July 3rd, 2018. If all goes to plan it should be seamless, but we know these things can sometimes go south with the best intentions.

I’ll update here when I’m done.

#54 2018-07-04 14:48:53

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

gaekwad wrote #312813:

There’s some strangeness happening on the demo site server (very sluggish SSH server, high CPU usage) […].

Some days, a bit of reading and poking is required before the splat-and-rebuild route. It’s a Linux kernel bug that’s causing the sluggish SSH rather than an environmental snafu on my part.

#55 2018-07-06 10:09:54

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Expect some minor turbulence over the next few hours, I’m moving the demo sites from Amsterdam to Frankfurt. Should be minimal disruption, but you may see some SSL-related errors until things have settled.

Barring any further notices here, all should be back to normal (but better) by 1800UTC today.

#56 2018-07-06 12:33:12

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I’ve set up the 3x demo sites in Frankfurt, and my checks show things are running smoothly (and a little bit faster, too).

As of right now, the old server is still running. There’s a little bit of snagging to take care of today (CSP tweaks among other things) but service has resumed with minimal downtime.

Thanks for your continued interest.

#57 2018-07-06 12:53:34

uli

Thanks for maintaining these! :)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#58 2018-07-06 12:56:32

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

uli wrote #312885:

Thanks for maintaining these! :)

You’re welcome!

#59 2018-07-07 08:17:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thanks for rehoming the demo sites, Sir. Much obliged for your ongoing support.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#60 2018-07-07 08:21:43

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #312901:

Thanks for rehoming the demo sites, Sir. Much obliged for your ongoing support.

No worries! I’ve learned a lot in the process, and gained a big fondness for Nginx, also. It’s really nice.

Board footer