Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2017-04-16 14:37:29

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Textpattern CMS demo site

textpattern.co/demo

• Moved server to Amsterdam (was San Francisco), rebuilt with Ubuntu 16.04LTS (was 14.04LTS)
  • Added 5x user roles

Last edited by gaekwad (2017-04-16 14:37:44)

#38 2017-04-17 05:58:27

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Cheers Pete. The demo site has a prominent position in the new Textpattern homepage. Which I’ll share with you directly (it’s not for public viewing right now).

#39 2017-11-24 23:49:54

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Until now the Textpattern demo site has been limited to the most recent release/production version. I am very pleased to announce I’m adding a subdomain for the current in-development version direct from GitHub. This is an early alpha announcement to people subscribing on this thread, I’m hoping to overhaul things in the coming weeks as time permits.

For the meantime, and this link may change so please don’t rely on it, the link to use is

dev-demo.textpattern.co

(https or http).

Notes:

• the dev demo site pulls the latest software from GitHub every three hours
  • the login credentials are the same as the production version (see here for username/password)
  • there are no images or files, they are on the to-do list
  • everything is nuked and rebuilt from scratch every three hours
  • …it uses the same awkward Bunch O’ Bash© as the release version site

This new development is possible thanks to work undertaken by makss in the past few weeks. Makss has added a CLI option to install Textpattern, and it’s fantastic.

The install process for 4.7 (subject to change, it’s still in development) can be automated from a command line. To put this in perspective, the script I wrote to build the demo every three hours tears down the previous install, flattens the files and database, grabs the latest source from GitHub, runs the automated install according to settings in a JSON file, and builds the new site in about 11 seconds. I am certain I can make this even faster, but it’s blisteringly fast compared to walking through the GUI process.

I’ll overhaul and tidy the demo server in December, but you can trial the development version right now without setting up a development environment.

More soon. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by gaekwad (2017-11-24 23:51:13)

#40 2017-11-25 00:17:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Oh that is smoooooth!

Now we just have to watch we don’t break the dev branch too often :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#41 2017-11-25 00:23:54

bici
Website Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #307979:

Until now the Textpattern demo site has been limited to the most recent release/production version. I am very pleased to announce I’m adding a subdomain for the current in-development version direct from GitHub. This is an early alpha announcement to people subscribing on this thread, I’m hoping to overhaul things in the coming weeks as time permits.

For the meantime, and this link may change so please don’t rely on it, the link to use is

(https or http).

Notes:

• the dev demo site pulls the latest software from GitHub every three hours
  • the login credentials are the same as the production version (see here for username/password)
  • there are no images or files, they are on the to-do list
  • everything is nuked and rebuilt from scratch every three hours
  • …it uses the same awkward Bunch O’ Bash© as the release version site

This new development is possible thanks to work undertaken by makss in the past few weeks. Makss has added a CLI option to install Textpattern, and it’s fantastic.

The install process for 4.7 (subject to change, it’s still in development) can be automated from a command line. To put this in perspective, the script I wrote to build the demo every three hours tears down the previous install, flattens the files and database, grabs the latest source from GitHub, runs the automated install according to settings in a JSON file, and builds the new site in about 11 seconds. I am certain I can make this even faster, but it’s blisteringly fast compared to walking through the GUI process.

I’ll overhaul and tidy the demo server in December, but you can trial the development version right now without setting up a development environment.

More soon. Thanks for reading.

That is sooooo impressive. CLI rebuild. wow! that whole process is begging for a great How-To and/or blog post. The news of this ability needs wide distribution!

…. texted postive

#42 2017-11-25 09:08:11

jpdupont

Very interesting ! Can you give us a short tutorial about installing TXP automatically?

#43 2017-11-25 12:35:15

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jpdupont wrote #307986:

Very interesting ! Can you give us a short tutorial about installing TXP automatically?

Absolutely. I can flesh this out when I have a bit more time (Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend is always busy for me monitoring client servers). Before I start, some notes:

• This functionality is in the development version of Textpattern at GitHub, which by its nature is subject to change.
  • The route I took was figured out from me groking commits by makss, and some trial & error (mostly because I’m rusty at Bash and I’ve been away from Textpattern for a while. There are potentially more efficient ways of doing this.

The workflow comprises:

• Create a JSON file with setup details (behind the scenes, you don’t want this leaking out). Use the template below and fill in the blanks. site entries are optional (can be left as-is), mysql and user entries are required:
{
    "site": {
        "lang": "en",
        "siteurl": "",
        "theme": "",
        "public_theme": "",
        "datadir": ""
    },
    "mysql": {
        "user": "",
        "pass": "",
        "host": "localhost",
        "db": "",
        "table_prefix": ""
    },
    "user": {
        "realname": "",
        "email": "",
        "name": "",
        "pass": ""
    }
}
  • Obtain the dev version of Textpattern
git clone https://github.com/textpattern/textpattern.git
  • Copy or move the files into your preferred webroot. You can safely ignore the git-related files.
  • Make sure textpattern/config.php is writable by the user you’re using, then run php from the command line:
php /var/www/html/textpattern/setup/setup.php --config="my-setup-config.json"

The output will tell you what’s happening, and if all goes well you should see:

Checking connectivity... done.
[OK]	Connected
[OK]	Using devdemo. (utf8mb4)
[OK]	That went well!

The reference to devdemo is for my server, yours will be different.

#44 2017-11-25 13:23:13

jpdupont

#45 2017-12-01 17:42:37

bici
Website Mastodon

Not sure thsi is the correct place to ask….but.

Is there a way for our Textpattern installations to let us know when a new version is available once we are logged in as Admin?

For example at the bottom of the Admin login area the footer says:

(4.6.2) · Logged in as admin

But if i was running 4.5.7 it would say:

(4.5.7) -  latest  (4.6.2) · Logged in as admin

Last edited by bici (2017-12-01 17:43:04)

…. texted postive

#46 2017-12-01 18:31:57

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

bici wrote #308086:

Is there a way for our Textpattern installations to let us know when a new version is available once we are logged in as Admin? For example at the bottom of the Admin login area.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: no, as it ties up too many resources and extra processing to query the remote server every so often.

The information is on Diagnostics, and it’s probably going to stay there I think.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#47 2017-12-30 21:19:21

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

gaekwad wrote #307979:

Humblebrag time. I’ve tweaked the git clone settings, restricting it to one level of recursion.

11 seconds to build a Textpattern…that was fast.

Now…(emphasis mine):

$ time sudo /[…]/dev-demo.sh
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
Cloning into ‘/var/www/vhosts/textpattern.co/dev-demo/staging/github’…
remote: Counting objects: 478, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (424/424), done.
remote: Total 478 (delta 103), reused 132 (delta 18), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (478/478), 1.39 MiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (103/103), done.
Checking connectivity… done.
[OK] Connected
[OK] Using devdemo. (utf8mb4)
[OK] Creating database tables
[OK] Lang: ‘en’
[OK] Prefs: ‘data/core’
[OK] Import: ‘data/txp_category’
[OK] Import: ‘data/txp_link’
[OK] Import: ‘data/txp_section’
[OK] Import: ‘data/txp_skin’
[OK] Import: ‘articles/articles.welcome’
[OK] Front-side theme: ‘/setup/themes/default’
[OK] CSS: ‘default’
[OK] Form: ‘article/article_listing’
[OK] Form: ‘article/default’
[OK] Form: ‘article/search_results’
[OK] Form: ‘comment/comment_form’
[OK] Form: ‘comment/comments’
[OK] Form: ‘comment/comments_display’
[OK] Form: ‘comment/popup_comments’
[OK] Form: ‘file/files’
[OK] Form: ‘link/plainlinks’
[OK] Form: ‘misc/images’
[OK] Form: ‘misc/search_input’
[OK] Page: ‘archive’
[OK] Page: ‘default’
[OK] Page: ‘error_default’
[OK] That went well!
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.

real 0m2.989s
user 0m0.360s
sys 0m0.376s

4 seconds.

#48 2018-03-05 23:10:48

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

There’s an update to the demo site – details here.

Board footer