You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2011-01-23 12:46:35

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [mention] 2010 Open Source CMS Market Share Report

hcgtv wrote:

Our new mantra “No PHP in our templates!”

It is one of Txp’s distinctive features — and an important one. Kind of geeky for a mantra, though :)

Code is topiary

#12 2011-01-23 13:11:24

thebombsite
Plugin Author
Website

If everyone would just Google for textpattern about 20 times per day for the next 12 months we should be able to demonstrate just what a bag of shite reviews like this are when based entirely on spurious statistics.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#13 2011-01-23 13:27:22

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

jsoo wrote:

hcgtv wrote: Our new mantra “No PHP in our templates!”

It is one of Txp’s distinctive features — and an important one. Kind of geeky for a mantra, though :)

Just threw it out there, but the emphasis should be that there’s no raw PHP in Textpattern’s templates. I see a coming backlash at WordPress for having PHP in their templates. It’s not going to come from their hosting operation (WordPress.com), but from users downloading at WordPress.org. These users, a bit more knowlodegeable, are getting tired of getting their sites hacked, security update after security update, and now we’re seeing malicious code in templates, ala MySpace debacle.

Whatever clever slogan we can come up with, we should use it on as many of our own sites to promote how safer the web is if you use Textpattern.

#14 2011-01-23 14:03:50

Els
Admin

thebombsite wrote:

If everyone would just Google for textpattern about 20 times per day

Honestly Stuart, I was just about to post exactly this… noticed your post just in time ;)
But surely this is what caused the bad reviews, of course we never google for textpattern, we don’t need to :) Someone should tell them to reconsider their methods: no Google searches == best CMS.

#15 2011-01-23 14:19:29

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:

… users downloading at WordPress.org. These users, a bit more knowlodegeable, are getting tired of getting their sites hacked, security update after security update, and now we’re seeing malicious code in templates, ala MySpace debacle.

In fairness, a hypothetical malicious Txp template could include baaaaad code in a <txp:php> block, there to catch the unwary. Yes, raw PHP is disabled by default, but it’s still an opening. Some unwary users might have enabled PHP to work with some other template or for some other reason. Perhaps we should exclude or at least strongly discourage templates containing raw PHP, that is for official or quasi-official templates (e.g. Textgarden).

Code is topiary

#16 2011-01-23 14:22:49

maverick
Website

On the more serious side, I don’t like seeing Txp being lableled “@ risk”. None of us do. But we all seem to understand that we’ve got to take reviews like this w/ a grain of salt.

Their metrics are just that – THEIR metrics. Their interpretation is just that. THEIR interpretation. That’s okay. I seriously doubt their report will make or break any of the software reviewed. Shoot – one of the other top CMSes (imo) out there is Expression Engine, and it didn’t show up anywhere. Why? It’s not open source. Until this year Moveable Type was not included. Why? They said it was primarily a blogging platform. (Yet WordPress was included . . . go figure). Other solid, growing, quality CMSes are not there – because they weren’t viewed as candidates for the top 20. It’s just their take. I might choose other metrics and methodology, arguably more accurate, but there’d be flaws to it.

I wonder what is worth learning from. For example, their metrics showing:

• Retention. If your drop out rate is close to, equal to or greater than your adoption rate . . . . ouch.
  • people who’ve never heard of Txp. Scary high. No wonder no one googles Txp. You’ve got to know what to google first.
  • the number of links to Txp (their measure of good will). It was one of our better showings.

Last edited by maverick (2011-01-23 14:24:20)

#17 2011-01-23 15:26:03

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

jsoo wrote:

In fairness, a hypothetical malicious Txp template could include baaaaad code in a <txp:php> block, there to catch the unwary.

Yes, of course, you can make anything malicious. But our Pages and forms don’t need PHP, where in WordPress’s case, it’s a neccessity.

So a user, with limited knowledge, has to trust the template creator that this loop for posts is ok:

<?php
get_template_part( 'loop', 'index' );
?>

Not to mention the 176 lines that is loop.php, which is full of PHP that even a seasoned programmer has to read carefully so as to come to the conclusion that no bad code resides in it. Here’s just a sampling:

<?php else : ?>
		<div id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?>>
			<h2 class="entry-title"><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( 'Permalink to %s', 'twentyten' ), the_title_attribute( 'echo=0' ) ); ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h2>

<div class="entry-meta">
				<?php twentyten_posted_on(); ?>
			</div><!-- .entry-meta -->

<?php if ( is_archive() || is_search() ) : // Only display excerpts for archives and search. ?>
			<div class="entry-summary">
				<?php the_excerpt(); ?>
			</div><!-- .entry-summary -->
	<?php else : ?>
			<div class="entry-content">
				<?php the_content( __( 'Continue reading <span class="meta-nav">&rarr;</span>', 'twentyten' ) ); ?>
				<?php wp_link_pages( array( 'before' => '<div class="page-link">' . __( 'Pages:', 'twentyten' ), 'after' => '</div>' ) ); ?>
			</div><!-- .entry-content -->
	<?php endif; ?>

While a Textpattern user just has this to contend with:

<txp:article form="article" limit="10" />

Here’s the article form:

<h2 class="date-header"><txp:posted /></h2>
<div class="post">
<h3 class="post-title"><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></h3>
<div class="post-body">
<txp:body />
</div>
<p class="post-footer">
<em>Posted at <txp:posted format="%I:%M %p" /></em>
</p>
</div>

So it just comes down to educating the public, which I intend on doing by showing a WordPress template side by side with a Textpattern template. You’d be amazed at how many less lines of code a comparable TXP template has than a WordPress template.

Last edited by hcgtv (2011-01-23 15:33:48)

#18 2011-01-23 16:15:05

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

I’m not up on current templating implementations. Any reason that this:

<?php
get_template_part( 'loop', 'index' );
?>

can’t become a tag?

Code is topiary

#19 2011-01-23 16:46:48

Bloke
Developer
Website

maverick wrote:

Hey – you’re not going to have ALL the fun! I did it. I put Textpattarn at Risk!

Hehehe. Thanks for the solidarity. Nothing like a good bit of self-deprecating irony is there :-)

Since we’re equal partners in TXP’s perceived downfall, I’m going to make amends and start to undo the damage. I consider myself — at least to some degree — absolved. Your turn!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#20 2011-01-23 19:18:36

Els
Admin

Nice one, Stef!

Board footer