Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2011-01-04 19:44:34

~cXc~
Plugin Author

Re: punBB

Yes :)

You caught my post between edits :P

I suddenly realized PunBB wasn’t causing it after noticing it displayed perfectly fine for my name and edits ;)

~cXc~

Last edited by ~cXc~ (2011-01-04 19:55:50)

#26 2011-01-04 19:46:26

els

Shouldn’t we first find out what happened to this?

#27 2011-01-04 19:50:22

els

~cXc~, try this:

==~cXc~==

:)

#28 2011-01-04 19:54:29

~cXc~
Plugin Author

Els wrote:

Depends, if this thread is answering the OP then that won’t matter :P

… but, if this post is resurrecting that thread then yes :)

I don’t mind tossing opinion to the OP cause that’s what I thought they were interested in but I don’t want anyone to misunderstand and think I am making suggestions for the official forum of Textpattern (I chose not to reply in that thread … cause there is enough opinion in there already :P), I’m just getting comfortable around here, and way to new to start tossing suggestions like that ;)

~cXc~

PS Thanks Els! :D

[edit] That is a long thread o.O … I’ll get through all that later, I need to get to work for a little while … or take a shower … or, I know I am going to go think about work while I take me a shower then I’ll start staring at code and call it work :D [/edit]

Last edited by ~cXc~ (2011-01-04 20:04:05)

#29 2011-01-04 22:38:58

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Els wrote:

Yes, I’d like to know what happened also.

From my perspective, it’s time to move Textpattern forward. A forum with more to offer helps this project in the long run by way of attracting more participation. Yes, we can go FluxBB, because it’s the easier route, but nothing really changes in the grand scheme of things.

We all run Textpattern because we know it’s merits, but those merits aren’t easily seen at first. Textpattern is an acquired taste, new users have to hang around long enough to soak it in or else they move on. This forum has to appeal to them for things other than just plain TxP support. Look around the net, the successful projects have forums teaming with individuals, chatting away, fueling interest.

My vision may not be in line with the main devs, they may just want to have a forum for plain support, a low traffic affair. Nothing wrong with that, each project has their share of volunteer hours and answering questions on a forum will not produce a line of code. But oh those lines of code, that paint our sites so rapidly with content, I think they deserve a wider audience.

#30 2011-01-05 09:47:07

jstubbs
Website

hcgtv wrote:

But oh those lines of code, that paint our sites so rapidly with content, I think they deserve a wider audience.

Well spoken and right on the money.

#31 2011-01-06 00:15:42

Destry
Website

maverick wrote:

Perhaps it is an opportunity…to editorially consolidate the best information (as time allows) into other applicable locations rather than the forums?

It’s absolutely the right time. Well, past time, but let’s be optimistic about the future.

The right approach would be to first inventory the forum of all content considered valuable. That in itself will be quite a chore, but a critical one. If done in a systematic way, it makes for the best odds of capturing everything considered valuable, but also helps map and filter it down to the key bits so it’s easier to rewrite in a targeted location, whether plugin content to .org, user docs to the wiki, etc.

I’d agree with Bloke about the specific “How To” forum being pretty bare-bones and not much there. But there are tonnes of doc-worthy gems all throughout this entire system, even staggered inside just a single long thread. They are not going to just fall into your lap.

For example, I think of the tag examples in each of the Tag Reference pages. A lot of those are pretty abstract, or so dry and without context that they aren’t very helpful. But the forum is full—*chock full*—of fantastic tag code examples detailing different tag structure scenarios. Those are gold, and they are the kind of examples that should be relocated to the respective tag pages (as best fits the topics).

It’s a lot of work to track them down, though, and there might be so much redundancy in the forum we find it’s not necessary after a certain point to dig ever deeper. Maybe we put a sensible limit on the hunt by going back only a far as a certain Txp version. In the case of tags, we probably want to be mindful of when tags changed or became deprecated, etc. But you get the idea.; you could use that as a reasonable way to scale the hunt and peck effort a bit.

I’m doing an inventory on the FAQs now, as Bloke hinted to, and I could start one for the forum and add a few line items to show what that would look like. I’ll keep that on my list of to dos for the near future.

Btw…“TextBook”, the name, is no more. I would suggest we start killing use of that henceforth, and remove reference of it wherever it exists (navigation, articles, etc), beginning with in this forum’s navigation levels. Call it the wiki, or the docs, but not TextBook. It was a confusing name for anyone not inside the community, really, nor was it particularly great for referencing. We probably clung to it too long as it is.

#32 2011-01-06 00:32:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote:

… the tag examples in each of the Tag Reference pages. A lot of those are pretty abstract, or so dry and without context that they aren’t very helpful.

Totally agree. I suggest that if anyone stumbles across a great use of a tag they paste it into the relevant tag page and delete any boring non-contexty, useless offering that was previously there.

Btw…“TextBook”, the name, is no more.

Yay.

… remove reference of it wherever it exists (navigation, articles, etc), beginning with in this forum’s navigation levels.

There’s a tantalising ‘Edit’ button on the Administration->Forums section of this site. Does that just change the visible link name? i.e. will it kill anything if someone edits it?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#33 2011-01-06 01:07:08

els

Bloke wrote:

There’s a tantalising ‘Edit’ button on the Administration->Forums section of this site. Does that just change the visible link name? i.e. will it kill anything if someone edits it?

I think you can safely edit the (sub)forum name ;) But I don’t think we can access the ‘Txp Network Links’ code from here…

#34 2011-01-06 08:38:57

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Els wrote:

But I don’t think we can access the ‘Txp Network Links’ code from here…

No, it’s in a template file. I’ve moved all stale references, hopefully.

#35 2011-01-06 15:16:38

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

maverick wrote:

Perhaps it is an opportunity…to editorially consolidate the best information (as time allows) into other applicable locations rather than the forums?

That all depends on the approach that is taken for a new forum.

Let’s say Phorum is chosen to move us forward, well then you can actually consolidate around the forum. If I was to start Textpattern from scratch, I would have the main site, a forum, a templates site and the wiki. The plugins can be hosted at the forum neatly available for download with all it’s corresponding discussion.

Destry wrote:

For example, I think of the tag examples in each of the Tag Reference pages. A lot of those are pretty abstract, or so dry and without context that they aren’t very helpful. But the forum is full—*chock full*—of fantastic tag code examples detailing different tag structure scenarios.

Yes, I noticed that when I was creating the Textpattern Tags site. But honestly, going through this forum is a huge chore, and if you do find something, you should link back to the appropriate thread, but until a decision is made on this forum, doing such a task may be double work if this forum is upgraded to something else and the links change.

#36 2011-01-06 16:24:09

Destry
Website

hcgtv wrote:

But honestly, going through this forum is a huge chore, and if you do find something, you should link back to the appropriate thread, but until a decision is made on this forum, doing such a task may be double work if this forum is upgraded to something else and the links change.

I’m guessing you’ve never done a content inventory before. And I don’t mean just running an xml script to create a site map. I mean a manual inventory (like would be necessary in this case anyway). Yes, they are a lot of work, and tedious, and anyone who has done one makes no delusions about it. But those people will also tell you they are, and I say it again, critical for finding and auditing information, determining what’s ROT (redundant, outdated or trivial), and systematically transcribing the good stuff in the right locations.

Also, the whole point is NOT to update the system before the audit has been done. Likewise, if links are at a risk before rewrites are finished, the old system needs put on a dev location somewhere until the job is complete. Saying links will be lost because someone wants to rush into a system upgrade is reckless. Backup. Safeguard online (out of the way if necessary). Inventory/audit content. Transcribe content. THEN kill the old beast.

Like I said, I’ll get an inventory started at some point soon and then the ball is rolling. Without seeing one, it’s hard to get the idea of how important they are for something like this.

Board footer