Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-05-28 15:03:39

floodfish
Website

Re: n+1 Magazine

I’d like to know how you managed to add new text boxes

I made textarea custom fields with glz_custom_fields and relocated them with bot_write_tab_customize. (There maybe some custom CSS from my admin theme in effect, too.)

or the sidebar with nested tags category…

I’m pretty sure that’s just rss_unlimited_categories (though I think you might be able to do the same with CSS on the regular category interface?).

I don’t consider that giant multi-select an ideal interface, but it’s “good enough for now.” It would be nice to break various sub groups into separate elements, maybe with some kind of javascript auto-complete. But that was too big a job to get done for launch.

Last edited by floodfish (2010-05-28 15:05:01)

#14 2010-05-28 16:20:36

redbot
Plugin Author

floodfish wrote:

… It would be nice to break various sub groups into separate elements, maybe with some kind of javascript auto-complete. But that was too big a job to get done for launch.

Hi,
an option could be to use the new glz_custom_fields support for custom scripts.
This way you could set as many ‘select’ type cfs as your parent categories are (I think 4 in your case) then populate each with the corresponding subcategories fetched throught a script.
Thought it involves some php knowledge the commented sample script which comes with the plugin is a good starting point for experimenting.

#15 2010-05-28 16:55:19

floodfish
Website

an option could be to use the new glz_custom_fields support for custom scripts.

Wow. Hadn’t really looked at that before. Equal parts scary and intriguing! Thanks for the suggestion.

#16 2010-05-28 17:37:14

bici
Website Mastodon

floodfish wrote:

Thanks, Giovanni!
What exactly would that tutorial include?
But an equally large site for a different publication might well have different needs. So I wonder what could be distilled into a useful tutorial?
I will say that the biggest departure from Textpattern’s default scheme is the sense that a login ≠ the author of an article, and that an article can often have multiple authors or no authors.
Getting the related material in the article page sidebars working was a real beast: showing an arbitrary number of articles from an arbitrary number of categories or author(s) which are assigned to the current article, and being sure the the current article isn’t among them.
As to a book, well … feel free to put any publishers in touch!

FloodFish … first the difference of non-commercial / commercial is a small quibble.. the idea is that they are both for “customers”

The power of the tutorial would be in the way that you have extended and pushed the boundaries of Textpattern. I can see great value in that…. i.e. learning from example.

For a book it would have to be somewhat be more generalized. But again pushing teh boundaries and perhasp you could break it in chapters that covers the basic to the more robust features and use of plug-ins. You would be in essence documentating the steps you too kto building out your excellent new site.

As for Publishers? I wish these folks would work with you! pragprog.com

I bought two books from them.

Last edited by bici (2010-05-28 17:41:03)

…. texted postive

#17 2010-05-28 18:43:06

candyman

n+1 magazine for dummies: it would be very useful to see how so many plugins can work together!

Last edited by candyman (2010-05-28 18:43:41)

#18 2010-06-01 04:35:25

maverick
Website

floodfish wrote:

So I wonder what could be distilled into a useful tutorial?

Perhaps thinking of it as part case study/part TxpTips how-tos? :-)

floodfish wrote:

I will say that the biggest departure from Textpattern’s default scheme is the sense that a login ≠ the author of an article, and that an article can often have multiple authors or no authors.

Would you be willing to elaborate on how you achieved this?

Thanks

Mike

#19 2010-06-01 05:50:19

jstubbs
Website

Any tutorials for TXP Tips are welcome!

#20 2010-06-01 06:06:56

candyman

floodfish wrote:
So I wonder what could be distilled into a useful tutorial?

The case study maybe is asking too much but a step-by-step tutorial which shows how to customize the TXP edit page (css modifications included) according your own needs would be great!

Last edited by candyman (2010-06-01 06:07:43)

#21 2010-06-01 06:30:33

maverick
Website

candyman wrote:

The case study maybe is asking too much but a step-by-step tutorial which shows how to customize the TXP edit page (css modifications included) according your own needs would be great!

Fair point. I should have been more clear. When I said case study, I didn’t mean a traditional case study, rather I was thinking more along the lines of “the client needed multiple authors, or no authors. This was achieved by doing this, this, and this”. Or The client needed a customized write page with x textboxes. To create it, we did 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

#22 2010-06-01 10:53:56

candyman

In this way would be perfect. Let’s hope Jason can find the time.
By the way, even latest jacok’s site has some interesting solutions that may become a good starting point for txp beginners. Obviously works like these need a lot amount of time: we could think about ransom tutorials like some plugins that’ve been released after meeting a quote. A sort of “Tutorial Request” made by txp gurus and stored at txptips.

#23 2010-06-01 12:36:22

jakob
Admin
Website

I tend to agree with Jason in that both his write page and the backend you linked to in my thread are custom solutions closely related to the users’ particular needs and therefore lose meaning when abstracted to a generalised approach. As Jason intimated, that’s a part of why we are hired to develop a solution. My backend variant is for non-txp-users to use (they don’t need to know about txp at all) but it’s not beginner’s territory to set up and both Stef and Manfre updated their plugins to make it possible, so I imagine it hasn’t been attempted like that before.

But tutorials for individual aspects like maverick suggests would be possible to write tutorials for individual aspects, though. Ransom tutorials: an interesting idea, but I think it may start undermining the principle of sharing knowledge and may also lead to unrealistic tutorial requests (“50$ for how to set up a community site with this, that and the other”). When I get some time, I’ll write a post on our txpbuilders blog on different client workflow approaches.

BTW: Jason gave you a fairly good answer in his earlier post. If you install rss_unlimited_categories you get pretty close to what you see in the sidebar (Jason has a lot of categories and sub-categories). The most tutorial-worthy element is using jquery to shift the position of the textarea custom fields that were set up with glz_custom_fields.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#24 2010-06-01 13:15:57

candyman

You’re right. The custom textareas are the most difficult part. I’ll ask about these if I’ll find troubles.

Board footer