Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-06-01 13:56:57

redbot
Plugin Author

Re: n+1 Magazine

jakob wrote:

…. The most tutorial-worthy element is using jquery to shift the position of the textarea custom fields that were set up with glz_custom_fields.

candyman wrote:

….The custom textareas are the most difficult part. I’ll ask about these if I’ll find troubles.

Ehm… I don’t want to sound self-promotional but actually all you need is glz_custom_field and bot_write_tab_customize for this.
With glz_custom you can create how many textarea-custom fields as you want.
Once done this bot_wtc allows – among other things – two kinds of basic actions:

1. move items around (FYI I’m talking about every page item – not only custom fields)
  2. hide on a per-section basis such items.

Combining these two behaviours you can obtain a totally diffferent look and functionality for each section.
For example you can have section “blog” which behaves like a default txp page (title – excerpt – body etc.) and a section “books” which shows only a title, some select input and a text area – all positioned the way you like.

For a perfect result add some custom css, ied_hide_in_admin and rah_for_each_section to the mix.

Last edited by redbot (2010-06-01 13:57:22)

#26 2010-06-01 15:16:53

candyman

Many thanks, redbot! My goal is different look according to section: I’ll try bot_wtc, the others are already installed.

#27 2010-06-02 12:03:19

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Looks fantastic, very impressed. Can I ask what plugin you used to let authors know the maximum character count they can use in a textfield? That would be very useful for my clients.

Last edited by philwareham (2010-06-02 12:43:23)

#28 2010-06-04 17:40:51

floodfish
Website

I thank jakob and redbot for their answers above. Most of what I did should be pretty easy to grasp if you’ve got bot_wtc and rss_unlimited_categories installed.

— I will say that the biggest departure from Textpattern’s default scheme is the sense that a login ≠ the author of an article, and that an article can often have multiple authors or no authors.
Would you be willing to elaborate on how you achieved this?

The authors on the front-end area all categories. The system authors/logins don’t appear anywhere. With unlimited categories, an article can have unlimited authors, and author archive/bio pages are just another kind of category page.

Can I ask what plugin you used to let authors know the maximum character count they can use in a textfield?

That’s this jQuery plugin applied via the “Additional js code” field in bot_wtc.

#29 2010-06-04 18:41:05

maverick
Website

floodfish wrote:

— I will say that the biggest departure from Textpattern’s default scheme is the sense that a login ≠ the author of an article, and that an article can often have multiple authors or no authors.
Would you be willing to elaborate on how you achieved this?

The authors on the front-end area all categories. The system authors/logins don’t appear anywhere. With unlimited categories, an article can have unlimited authors, and author archive/bio pages are just another kind of category page.

Thanks! That approach gives me some food for thought :)

Mike

Board footer