Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-03-09 17:00:34

uli

Re: Mild alterations to the Presentation tabs

Oh, darn it:

My sympathy, honestly! :) Thanks for your commitment!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#26 2010-03-09 20:25:02

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

phiw13 wrote:

As for the width – don’t force anything wider than 1000px.

Lower please!
I’m using a 1024×768 display. When I have a browser window maximized with a scrollbar on the right side, I can fit at most 995 pixels, so with a bit of extra margin (to account for different windows themes), I wouldn’t go wider than 980 pixels (which is a number I frequently find when Googling a bit on this subject)

Last edited by ruud (2010-03-09 20:26:52)

#27 2010-03-09 20:38:06

jakob
Admin
Website

maybe a combination of white-space: nowrap; and overflow:hidden; – that often hinders rogue line wrapping. If you have a code snippet to play with, we can experiment…

I too much prefer the checkbox on the right – it’s a secondary action “delete” whereas now on the left it looks like a selection option.

Last edited by jakob (2010-03-09 20:38:38)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#28 2010-03-09 23:32:43

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

I don’t get it — there’s no width specified as far as I can make out, but maybe I missed it. So why is Firefox (correctly imo) making the right column elastic where IE gives up?

Could you wip up patch of your current code ? It would be more easy for me to play along and give meaningful advice. Everything can be fixed.

On first sight, the behaviour of IE makes sense, depending on what constrain there are on the parent elements (there is a table out there)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#29 2010-03-09 23:43:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote:

Could you wip up patch of your current code

You got mail.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#30 2010-03-11 11:11:02

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Maybe it makes sense to place ? next to disabled checkboxes with description – why it’s not recommended to delete this form?

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#31 2010-03-13 22:01:44

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just a thought here now that we have a wider style textarea.

I know I’m now a “veteran” user of Textpattern and these things are no doubt useful to new users, but I find that I very rarely, and I really do mean rarely, use the tag builders. What about the idea of moving them below the textarea so that they are still available to those that need them but for those of us that don’t we could have a decent amount of extra width there?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#32 2010-03-15 11:01:21

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

And continuing the monologue I think I’ve realised why <div>s and floated elements aren’t used in the real world… it’s because they’re too flaky across browsers

Answers / fixes / ideas / sympathy gladly received…

Hey Bloke, OF COURSE they+re used in the real world, but yea, they can be flakey at times. I+d love to help, if I can get my hands on some source code :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#33 2010-03-15 11:19:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

kemie wrote:

I+d love to help, if I can get my hands on some source code :)

I might hold you to that, thanks :-) I’ve got someone waaay better than me at CSS looking at it right now, but I really want to get this patch (among others) commited so everyone has a chance to play with it before 4.3.0 is released. If I don’t hear back from my current partner-in-style within a few days I’ll send you over some code.

thebombsite wrote:

What about the idea of moving [tagbuilders]

I don’t use them either. Currently, as part of a wider changeset, the page elements are all getting marked up a little better. You’ll be able to target that entire column more easily and can choose to a) shut it (or parts of it) off with a single CSS rule, or b) manipulate it with a line or two of jQuery. I’m considering option c) of making it pluggable_ui() aware so you can programmatically alter it as well, but I don’t know if it makes sense to do so yet: not thought it through.

Either way, as it stands, your themes will be able to use jQuery to tuck it away wherever takes your fancy. It’ll still be where it is now in the default theme, though.

the_ghost wrote:

Maybe it makes sense to place ? next to disabled checkboxes with description

Not a bad idea, thanks. Though we’re back with the checkboxes on the right now, and with the latest styling (no screenshot yet, sorry) it might not be necessary to put the disabled checkboxes in at all.

I’m going to play with it later on and see if we can get away without them, because there’s something about a permanently disabled checkbox that makes me cringe in terms of the user experience. Having to put another widget on-screen to explain why a particualr widget is set in a particular way probably means there’s a failure with the original widget in the first place :-)

Last edited by Bloke (2010-03-15 11:20:50)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#34 2010-09-28 22:25:29

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

What about the idea of moving [tagbuilders]

Bloke wrote:

I don’t use them either. Currently, as part of a wider changeset, the page elements are all getting marked up a little better. You’ll be able to target that entire column more easily and can choose to a) shut it (or parts of it) off with a single CSS rule, or b) manipulate it with a line or two of jQuery. I’m considering option c) of making it pluggable_ui() aware so you can programmatically alter it as well, but I don’t know if it makes sense to do so yet: not thought it through.

Late to the party, testing 4.3.0 and I like the wider textarea in the Style tab.

What’s the verdict – a, b or c to make the Tag Builder disappear and widen the Pages and Forms textareas?

#35 2010-09-28 22:36:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote:

What’s the verdict – a, b or c to make the Tag Builder disappear and widen the Pages and Forms textareas?

c) never got out of the gate. a) is easiest to edit your favourite theme’s css file (or use smd_admin_themes to make a new theme based on your favourite). #tagbuild_links { display:none; } ought to do the trick and then alter the textareas to taste.

Using jQuery is probably not worth the hassle imo.

#36 2010-09-28 22:39:05

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I love the wider textarea on the Style tab. It would be nice to have them on the form and page templates as well. What about the idea of being able to switch the tagbuilder columns off in Preferences and giving those textareas a variable width so that they take up the extra space?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

Board footer