1. Index
  2. » Theme support
  3. » Bueno

#1 2010-03-04 17:38:22

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Bueno

A new front-of-site theme: http://textgarden.org/layouts/232/bueno that has been specifically “engineered” to be easy for newcomers to install. Do try it out even if you don’t need a theme right now and post any comments to this thread. I’m mostly interested in your thoughts/ideas about the construction and mechanics of installation though your thoughts on the theme itself are more than welcome.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#2 2010-03-04 18:07:27

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Bueno

That looks truly comprehensive in its approach and your instructions are a feat in themselves. The per-theme variables is a good way of making key personalisable items more easily accessible than asking users to fiddle with the forms. Likewise the style variants is made a little easier too. From a first glance very nice. I will certainly take a closer look.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2010-03-04 21:14:58

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

Wow, that’s a nice one! I am amazed how beautiful and elegant the entire approach is.

However, I find the instructions to be a bit much for anyone who just wants to see the “dirty facts”. Maybe I missed it, but I would have loved a quick install guide for the slightly advanced Txp user (upload folders, install mem_templates, import bueno, create sections, add articles, done) ;-)

I have to admit I still have to dig a little deeper and find the time to find out all the details you obviously paid a lot of attention to. Great work!

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#4 2010-03-04 21:50:55

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Thank you both.

Stephan – the ethos behind the method I have developed here is totally aimed at the first-time or very new user hence the very full documentation however, if you look at the bottom of each document page you will find a simple check-list of points covered, the red ones being applicable to the page they are on. Does that cover it for you?

Stuart

#5 2010-03-04 22:12:08

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

It does cover it, but my first intuition was wrong :-)
I found the sections part after I understood the concept (which is really good for newcomers I think, it offers a lot of information – if a newcomer is willing to read all these pages “just to install a template”).
The actual steps you have to take were a little hard to find among the background information – maybe because they don’t stand out enough?
Especially when switching between tabs and trying to reconstruct the steps I found it hard to not miss any vital information and yet don’t have to read everything over again. Maybe the step # from “What You Should Have Done So Far” could be added to improve in-page orientation for the reader?

After re-reading this I hope it doesn’t sound too rude, perhaps it’s just my personal preference and I am not used to technical documents taking the time to actually explain what happens :-)

Last edited by stephan (2010-03-04 22:12:47)

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#6 2010-03-04 23:14:28

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Not at all. That’s actually a good idea. I’ll look into it, but you can see the problem of trying to explain enough for the first-timer whilst trying not to teach old-timers to suck eggs. It’s a hard life. ;)

Stuart

#7 2010-03-05 00:57:27

candyman

Very good.
More template plug&play like this would help people to look beyond Wordpress.

#8 2010-06-03 08:58:58

liniocht
Website

Hi Stuart!
I’ve just installed the theme to play with it and see what a complex txp theme looks like. It seems to be working but I got this error:

Tag error:  <txp:article_custom section='<txp:variable name="section_for_weblog" />' featured_post="yes" form="bueno_featured_posts" limit='<txp:variable name="widget_featured_posts_qty" />' /> ->  Textpattern Notice: Unknown tag attribute: featured_post  on line 699

I should confess – I can’t read that much to install a theme. I looked up your short lists and then scanned the rest of the pages to find out what to do. Have I missed something during installation?

Last edited by liniocht (2010-06-03 09:01:57)

#9 2010-06-03 09:06:21

jakob
Admin
Website

While I don’t know the template, I suspect you need to have a custom field defined as “featured_post” which contains the word “yes” when an article is supposed to be featured.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2010-06-03 10:28:54

liniocht
Website

Thanks jakob,

I couldn’t get it from the passage below should I create it myself or will it be done by plugin magic:

For this particular theme we require the use of a custom_field. In the “Custom Fields” block you will see that they are all blank except for “Custom field 1 name”. This is given a name of featured_post. Note that it does not use capital letters or blank spaces. Remember this if you need to create further custom fields in the future. When a custom_field has been given a name it will appear in the “Advanced Options” in the left-hand menu on the “Write” page. It’s usage will be discussed in “Further Help”.

I entered featured_post into “Custom field 1 name” – and got rid of the error.

Last edited by liniocht (2010-06-03 10:33:28)

#11 2010-11-07 18:43:05

Chris nsp

I am having a little bit of a problem figuring out what I did incorrectly and I thought I was able to upload and follow set-up instructions into my website www.finedrafts.com The date on the left hand side is not showing up, the links on the upper-right hand are not underlined once I hover the mouse and the background appears to be just blank.

Would someone be so kind to guide me fix the issues I am having? I really like the theme.

#12 2010-11-07 18:52:22

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Hi Chris. Would you like to send me a login to stuart(at)thebombsite(dot)com please. I’m just about to go and eat so I shall get onto it in about an hour if that is OK. Make sure I’m set up as a “publisher”.

Stuart

1. Index
  2. » Theme support
  3. » Bueno

Board footer