Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-02-16 10:34:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

LoveTheGarden.com

Hi there,

Just finishing off my first TXP site, still got quite a bit of work and content to do on it (forums, trade and members areas also need serious work) but thought it was now time to feed it a big bag of oats, give it a slap on the rump and send it galloping out onto the prairie. Hope you like it so far…

LoveTheGarden.com

I would like to thank all the forum contributors and plugin authors that answered my constant barrage of questions, could not have finished it without your help.

Any questions, comments and criticisms gratefully received.

Cheers,
Phil

#2 2010-02-16 13:26:33

towndock
Website

Re: LoveTheGarden.com

Beautiful site Phil – excellent navigation – brilliant use of color (I’ll even spell it colour to show further appreciation). I’m not even a gardener and now I want to go out and dig. The site design manages to present a lot of content without feeling busy at all. Very nicely done graphic design.

If you are OK with sharing – what plug-ins did you use – and how did you do the drop down menus?

#3 2010-02-16 13:58:43

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Love it… for all the reasons towndock stated, and more. If that’s ‘unfinished’ I’d better revisit my definition of unfinished, because my work-in-progress stuff is about 8% of the finishedness of this site :-)

Stonking design, classy layout, easy to find stuff. We do actually grow our own veg so this kind of site is of great benefit to us; I’ll send the link to my wife too. Shame there’s no miracle cure for Marestail (a.k.a. Horsetail) listed in the Weed Finder section or we could pass the info onto our local allotment who are overrun with the evil stuff!

In short: awesome awesome awesome. Keep up the excellent work.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2010-02-16 14:06:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Thanks Stef, used some of your plugins in it :)

Nav bar details…

Shortened version of the nav bar txp form…

<div id="nav">
<ul id="superfish">
<li><a id="nav01" class="menu<txp:if_section name=''><txp:if_status number='200'> selected</txp:if_status></txp:if_section>" href="/">Home</a></li>
<li><a id="nav02" class="menu<txp:if_section name='lawns'> selected</txp:if_section>" href="/lawns"><txp:section name="lawns" title="1" /></a>
<ul>
<txp:article_custom sort="custom_11 asc" limit="10" break="li" section="lawns"><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></txp:article_custom>
<txp:variable name="countarticles" value='<txp:article_custom sort="custom_11 asc" offset="10" limit="1" section="lawns" />' />
<txp:if_variable name="countarticles" value="">
<txp:else />
<li><a class="more-articles" href="/lawns">More articles on <txp:section name="lawns" title="1" />…</a></li>
</txp:if_variable>
</ul>
</li>
...etc...
</ul>
</div>

A short explanation the above:

Firstly, sections are hard coded into the form – as there is a fixed number of sections for the site I don’t need to add them dynamically.

There is a check for which section you are in and a css class of ‘selected’ is applied (as I also use this on error pages I have to put a <txp:if_status check> in too on the homepage link). Other sections dropdowns are sorted by a custom_field so the client can prioritise articles, it then populates that list with up to 10 articles, after which if there are more in the section a “More articles…” is appended to the bottom of the list, done via a <txp:variable>.

Some other menu items have sub categories instead but the above gives an idea of how it generally works.

It is all then styled with css and some nice eye candy (eg. fading) is done with jquery’s superfish plugin.

Plugins wise, I’m using, amongst others:

• Extensively used Gerhard Lazu’s excellent glz_custom_fields (used for creating custom sort orders for articles, displaying “new” icons on products, featured products, featured articles, loading extra javascript and css on an individual page basis, custom meta descriptions and custom page titles – probably other uses I can’t remember right now)
  • rah_external_output – this plugin is awesome, can output txp forms for other non-cms pages and even other domains (used for sucking textpattern into pages not within the CMS – for example the stockist locator is a subdomain developed in jsp, I pull the dynamic navigation bar and other bits into jsp pages with this plugin)
  • smd_if (do special things with variables at various places in the site)
  • glx_gravatar (add author images, user images to comments)
  • arc_twitter (tweat blog and news articles automatically)
  • mdn_count (count articles in dropdown list and cut at 10)
  • rah_repeat (alphabetical navigation links on certain subsections)

Also, to ease the clients’ job of writing content, various plugins to hide, organise, explain the admin side including:

• bot_admin_tooltips (I tooltip everything in the write/edit screens so authors know exactly what each option does)
  • bot_write_tab_customize (I show/hide fields/options per section as some are only relevant to certain areas – for example the custom_field for ticking whether a product is new this year is only relevant to the products section, so I hide it on other sections
  • ebl-image-edit – for quick edits of images directly within TXP
  • rah_textile_bar – gives authors a UI for inserting common textile tags
  • rah_write_each_section – takes authors directly to most commonly used write templates via links when they first login – in this case news and blogs – without having to manually set sections from the write panel
  • wet_quicklink – easy link insertion into articles

Hope that helps.

When I finally get paid by the client I’ll make a paypal contribution to the developers fund.

Phil

Last edited by philwareham (2010-02-18 13:42:09)

#5 2010-02-16 14:14:26

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

♥ LoveYourSite.txp
=)

#6 2010-02-16 15:24:27

maniar
Website

The design is absolutely beautiful ! This will be great PR for txp !

اردو میں بھی دستیاب Textpattern آپ کے لیے اب

#7 2010-02-16 15:57:59

mrdale
Website

yes… very yes.

#8 2010-02-16 17:36:12

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote:

Just finishing off my first TXP site

Amazingly well done. Almost unbelievable that it’s your first TXP site.

Last edited by MattD (2010-02-16 17:37:07)

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#9 2010-02-16 18:20:22

pogonik
Website

great home page design! colors make it really fresh.

#10 2010-02-16 21:09:03

lister

Very nice..

#11 2010-04-01 13:20:56

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Site is now finished apart from a few tweaks to be done here and there (and maybe a new forum at some stage).

It also received a favourable review in an interweb magazine which was nice.

Just started on my next TXP project.

#12 2010-06-02 13:09:15

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve just added a video section to the site, all powered by TextPattern of course.

http://www.lovethegarden.com/video-tips

Each video is actually an individual article, and we sort them by their category1 and category2 tags. This method could easily be adapted for navigating through any other content on a website – articles, images, files etc. It uses ImageFlow as it’s basis. If anyone wants some tips on how it works within the CMS, let me know.

Board footer