Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2009-08-02 17:15:41

jstubbs
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.2.0 Release Candidate: Help us test!

We need to list the plugins that stop working in 4.2.0 – in my case the htn_feedstats plugin on TXP Tips throws the following error:

Tag error: <txp:htn_feedstats name="TxpTips" /> -> Notice: Undefined variable: buffer on line 55

#50 2009-08-02 17:40:47

mamash
Website

Congrats on the candidate. I’m reviving an old project, moving forward from 1.0rc3 (unhacking my old hacks) and getting quite a luck from 4.2.0 + MLP (which I had not expected).

I want to point out (with regard to the auto-DST feature now) that the way how TXP treats DST changes is still nonsensical. There is an old and long thread on this here.

In other words, when DST changes, TXP applies the new offset across the board – every article rendered will be displayed with the time stamp offset by the new setting. That is completely wrong of course. DST changes should only be applied whenever something happens that’s relative to now (i.e. you create a new article or edit an old and want to apply the current time). Time should never be mangled for past events, because they did happen exactly at e.g. 10 AM on that day, regardless of what kind of DST was in effect. And for the sake of storing the timestamp in UTC (i.e. DST-less) in the database, which is desired, TXP should know how to figure out whether DST was on/off for any given date (or better yet, have MySQL compute this for us) and use that information, rather than the immediate DST settings to calculate proper rendering of timestamps.

I’m pointing this out so that people are not surprised when they see timestamps shift back and forth on their articles as time goes, just because they (correctly) left the DST logic on auto. Maybe worth including this information in the release notes?

Who’s gonna textdrive you home tonight?

#51 2009-08-02 17:58:46

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Hmmm. One part of the DST package was to avoid the scenario your describe. IMHO, this is achieved by two ingredients:

1. When we create a timestamp, we take the then-to-be DST setting into account (not the setting which is in effext right now).
  2. When rendering a timestamp into a human-readable representation, we take the once-set DST setting of exactly this timestamp into account.

TXP should know how to figure out whether DST was on/off for any given date

We try.

From my judgement, this would inhibit your aforementioned timestamp shifts. What am I missing?

#52 2009-08-02 18:14:36

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

jstubbs wrote:

We need to list the plugins that stop working in 4.2.0 – in my case the htn_feedstats plugin on TXP Tips throws the following error:

Tag error: <txp:htn_feedstats name="TxpTips" /> -> Notice: Undefined variable: buffer on line 55

That doesn’t mean it’s not working, just that a variable wasn’t initialised properly. It’s still something that should be fixed though, IMHO.

#53 2009-08-02 20:12:09

jstubbs
Website

Ruud, its working again now which suggests it was Feedburner that caused the error. Won’t be the first time ;-)

#54 2009-08-02 21:09:02

mrdale
Website

Wow, Filip Hanjy… The single most helpful man on Joyent chimes in… cheers mate

#55 2009-08-03 03:40:22

rsilletti

Anyone noticed any problems with the TXP’s inability to find some files with this release candidate? in this case it’s css.php which is in the textpattern directory where I would expect to see it.

Site is here

Diagnostics:

Textpattern version: 4.0.8 (r3260)
Last Update: 2009-07-31 01:59:43/2009-07-31 01:42:31
Document root: /users/home/parkling/domains/quasai.com/web/public
$path_to_site: /users/home/parkling/domains/quasai.com/web/public
Textpattern path: /users/home/parkling/domains/quasai.com/web/public/textpattern
Permanent link mode: section_id_title
upload_tmp_dir: /usr/local/www/php/tmp
Temporary directory path: /users/home/parkling/domains/quasai.com/web/public/textpattern/tmp
Site URL: www.quasai.com
PHP version: 5.1.4
GD Image Library: bundled (2.0.28 compatible); supported formats: GIF, JPG, PNG.
Server TZ: -
Server Local Time: 2009-08-03 03:30:11
DST enabled?: 1
auto_dst: 
Time Zone: GMT+07.0 (25200)
MySQL: 4.1.22-log
Locale: en_GB.UTF-8
Server: Apache
PHP Server API: cgi-fcgi
RFC 2616 headers: 
Server OS: FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE
Active plugins: ras_author_list-4.0.8.dev, ras_page_of-4.0.7m, smd_calendar-0.42m, zem_contact_lang-4.0.3.6m, zem_contact_reborn-4.0.3.20, ras_notice-1.0bm, ras_plugin_credits-4.0.7, ras_if_dates-4.0.8.1m, ras_delete_expired-4.0.8, upm_image-0.6.1m, upm_img_popper-1.3.7m
theme_name: classic 4.0.8

Pre-flight check: 
------------------------
Missing files: 
	/users/home/parkling/domains/quasai.com/web/public/textpattern/../css.php
Some Textpattern files are out of date: 
	/users/home/parkling/domains/quasai.com/web/public/index.php, 
	/users/home/parkling/domains/quasai.com/web/public/rpc/TXP_RPCServer.php
Some Textpattern files have been modified: 
	/users/home/parkling/domains/quasai.com/web/public/rpc/index.php
------------------------

.htaccess file contents: 
------------------------
#DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

#Options +FollowSymLinks
#Options -Indexes

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
	RewriteEngine On
	#RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
	RewriteRule ^(.+) - [PT,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
	RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization}  !^$
	RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
</IfModule>

#php_value register_globals 0

------------------------

#56 2009-08-03 03:47:50

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

css.php should also be in the document root directory, along with files, HISTORY.txt, images, etc. The one in the textpattern directory only points to the file in its new location.

Last edited by johnstephens (2009-08-03 03:50:25)

#57 2009-08-03 04:05:52

rsilletti

Yes, I found that. I’d assumed one would be there – it wasn’t. I still have the problem, but I’ve been around in it enough a clean upload might be in order, thanks.

Yep, that was it, problem solved – Thanks again.

Last edited by rsilletti (2009-08-03 04:31:08)

#58 2009-08-03 05:03:28

jm
Plugin Author
Website

New install from r3266, PHP 5.30RC4, Apache 2.2.11:

1. After logging in, I get a blank page with only the unstyled footer (carver, logout). Refreshing loads the rest of the classic theme though.
  2. Shouldn’t the “Automatically adjust DST setting?” be turned on automatically if the server supports it?
  3. Is textpattern/tmp supposed to be there?
  4. Why is theme::based_on('<theme>') needed when the derived theme already inherits the ancestor theme?
  5. Related, but why not follow PEAR conventions with regards to class names? theme => Theme, remora => Remora, and so on.

FYI, for those on PHP 5.3 getting this error:

Warning: phpinfo() [function.phpinfo]: It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are required to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected ‘America/Denver’ for ‘MDT/-6.0/DST’

You need to add your timezone to php.ini. EX:

[Date]
; Defines the default timezone used by the date functions
; http://php.net/date.timezone
date.timezone = "America/Denver"

#59 2009-08-03 11:16:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Neko wrote:

I see logs are recording hits on feed URLs, such as /rss. It this by design?

Sorry Neko, I can’t make my copy of TXP do this; the feeds aren’t showing up in my Visitor Logs and I can’t see where the code could do that, as it exits fairly early on once a feed is detected — perhaps I haven’t looked hard enough! Would you please let us know the settings we can use as a test to replicate and track this down. Thanks.

P.S. Anyone else see the feeds in their logs?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#60 2009-08-03 15:53:42

TheEric
Plugin Author

This is probably not the correct place for this, but I’m beginning to suspect that I as a plugin writer will have to support only one theme, or forego support for any TXP versions greater than 4.0.8 due to the new theming system. I refuse to create multiple versions of my plugins for different themes. One doesn’t need different HTML markup to change the look. Look at CSSZengarden.com for an excellent illustration of this.*

Board footer