Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-05-28 00:22:50

lothar99

Login/Cookie/IGN_password_protect

I currently have two problems I need resolved.

Members will pay subscribe to my website with software run by aMember Pro (www.amember.com). This software has a textpattern plugin that adds their username/password to the textpattern database and will demote them when their subscription expires. I also have vbulletin forums (www.vbulletin.com). AMember also has a vbulletin plugin that adds the names of people who register to the vbulletin user database. When someone logs into their amember account (to manage subscription, change password, etc) it will log them into vbulletin. It will also log them into www.url.com/textpattern.

The content is protected with IGN_password_protect plugin. The main login that people will use most of the time when on the site is the IGN_password_protect login.

The first, smaller, problem is that when people login through IGN_password_protect they are not logged into the other logins. I would like a shared login just like the other 3 sections are. (Perhaps change the cookie it sets?)

The second much larger problem is that if someone logs out via there aMember account, they can not log back in via IGN_password_protect login. The error for an incorrect password appears and will not let you login even with correct name/pass. Only once history/cache/cookies? have been cleared will it allow you to login again. This appears to be another cookie problem but I don’t know much about it.

Contact me and I will give you more information and the web address. You can AIM me at somedude5632, or email me at announcerapplications@gmail.com.

Thanks.

#2 2009-05-28 00:41:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Login/Cookie/IGN_password_protect

lothar99 wrote:

I currently have two problems I need resolved.

I’m guessing by the lack of response the last couple of times you posted these questions, that nobody can help to resolve them nor has anything useful to add :-(

But for completeness:

1. I’ve never used aMember so I have no idea how it works
  2. ign_password_protect sets its own cookie and I’ve never had any luck changing its name without the TXP login part failing
  3. I have, however, shared a login between punBB and TXP, although I think (from memory) I did it from the TXP side — that is, the login box you see on the punBB site is actually an included file from TXP. I then faked the punBB cookie because it was easier than faking the TXP one! Something like that anyway — been a long time
  4. I have already posted about the stuck logout problem. It is a semi-bug (more an incompatibility) between TXP and ign_password_protect, introduced since TXP 4.0.6 when the core made extra security checks to see if you are logged in as the same person concurrently from two separate environments. As you have found, when you log out from one place (a “non-admin-side-TXP location”, e.g. the client side or some other app that shares a login) the ign_cookie gets ‘confused’ — for want of a better word — and you need to delete it in order to log back in

So to recap, I think you’re stuck unless you can get hold of igner or someone who knows the plugin intimately to make the necessary changes.

Last edited by Bloke (2009-05-28 00:44:00)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2009-05-28 00:56:47

igner
Plugin Author

igner who?

Actually, I have a commissioned revision that is out to a tester that I’m waiting for some feedback on that does handle the shared login (front and back), regardless of which UI one logs in from (i.e. addresses the logout issues).

I have extremely limited time at the moment for additional development, but email me details and we can discuss.

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#4 2009-05-28 01:01:33

lothar99

Thanks for both of your responses! :)

I don’t see how to view people’s emails on here.. am I overlooking something? lol

#5 2009-05-28 07:20:26

jstubbs
Website

lothar99/igner, I am running a site with TXP and aMember, and I am interested in an improved version of ign_password_protect.

Can you keep me informed on this – or post more information here?

#6 2009-06-05 22:30:41

lothar99

Nothing to report on yet, jstubbs. Maybe you wanna add to the $$ I have offered igner? :) He might check it out when he gets some free time.

However, I asked aMember to, and they did update the txp plugin to reduce the privileges on expired users to none, which it didn’t before, so that is nice if you are using it on a pay site. Just send them a helpdesk if you need the updated one.

#7 2009-06-06 15:47:50

jstubbs
Website

hi lothar99. I posted a thread here on the topic and also emailed igner about this – but he is quite busy at the moment.

Is it possible to see your aMember installation to see how you set it up? I am curious because I don´t use the aMember txp plugin and it would be good to see how it works. You can email me if you like..

#8 2009-06-06 19:01:51

lothar99

You can look if you want, but actually I can’t email you because I can’t see anyone’s email because of my “new member” status. The plugin(the one they edited for me, but are adding this functionality to the new releases of it I guess) works like this: when you setup a product in aMember there is an additional textpattern box that lets u choose a privilege level. When someone registers on aMember they have their user info added to the textpattern database as well, with the selected privilege level. If they expire on aMember they will have their privilege level reduced to none. If they renew their expired registration they will have their privilege level back, and so on.

But really aMember will program mostly whatever u want for free(had to pay about 40$ for the plugin but then free after that) i think, assuming its related to making their product work w/ whatever u are using it with… if you send a helpdesk request to their customization

#9 2009-06-06 20:20:40

els

lothar99 wrote:

my “new member” status

‘Upgraded’. :)

#10 2009-06-07 03:38:20

lothar99

#11 2009-06-22 13:27:55

lothar99

Problems are pretty much solved! Switched to rvm_privileged which is working nicely with textpattern + amember + vbulletin. Have a single login + logout and protection w/o any problems so far except lil quirks. (however I do have to run site in debugging or testing mode or else the rvm_privileged doesn’t show the protected content even when logged in in firefox and maybe some other browsers)

Last edited by lothar99 (2009-06-22 13:31:28)

Board footer