Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-09-09 10:25:43

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

[mention] Geritt van Aaken: Why Textpattern usually excels WordPress

Gerrit van Aaken, a renowned German font connoisseur and web builder, spells his verdict on “TXP vs. WP” at the “Small business etc. Site CMS” use case here.

As a special service to our loyal readers who happen to rule over a rather rusty German at best, I’ll try to excerpt the core issues he mentions:

• Txp sports a snappier backend interface
  • Txp forms are handier than file-based themes
  • The sheer beauty of Textpattern’s template tags as opposed to PHP in WordPress’s themes
  • Txp just works, on almost any hosting environment you throw at it
  • Txp plugins are stable and reliable, while WP excerts too much pressure on third party developers due to the racy update cycle
  • Proven track record for security, hence very infrequent need for security patches.
  • Consistent, invariant (yet dull) back end interface

According to Gerrit, WP gains its remarkable merits in these fields:

• Image and media management
  • Unique plugins like PodPress or StructuredBlogging
  • Dedicated blog capabilities (XMLRPC, APP, comment system extensions, trackback, pingback)

Now back to our regular programming…

#2 2008-09-12 16:32:44

dreamer

Re: [mention] Geritt van Aaken: Why Textpattern usually excels WordPress

Define “snappy” ? If that is anything close to snazzy, I would say that WP beats Txp’s interface handsdown. Of course, WP’s interface can be overwhelming for a few but I think that is due to more features than Txp, IMHO.

I personally like a file-based theme than handling forms. If I wanted to switch from one design to another, it seems that WP’s file based theme is easier to handle.

But I do agree with the rest of your bullet points especially the ridiculous amount of update cycles and security patches.

#3 2008-09-12 18:43:43

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

dreamer wrote:

Define “snappy” ?

Not snazzy

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#4 2008-09-27 15:30:52

lozmatic
Website

dreamer wrote:
I personally like a file-based theme than handling forms. If I wanted to switch from one design to another, it seems that WP’s file based theme is easier to handle.

Not quite sute I understand this bit. Forms in TXP are snippets of code that can be pulled from pages and other forms according to certain logics.

How does WP manage this? For example, can a piece of code that lays out a list is a particular way be called from some PHP (or propriety code) the same way TXP used form=”“ in article_custom, for example?

#5 2008-09-29 15:38:53

hakjoon
Website

In WP they are physical files which can be edited with a regular text editor, which is much nicer IMO as well, except for the fact that WP themeing is way convoluted and rigid compare to TXP.

There are plugins(cnk_versioning, hcg_templates) for TXP that will let you achieve equivalent file system functionality.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

Board footer