Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2008-06-18 13:28:41

goncalo.dumas
Website

Re: Marketing TXP

Nice thread!

I totally agree with the use of a aggregated official domain.

I also think there sould be a professional version witch would pay for all this effort, no kidding!

#110 2008-06-18 13:55:39

beztak
Website

kvnmcwebn wrote:

http://www.macdesign.eu/textpattern.html

I hope it was only very very quick and rough attempt ;)

#111 2008-06-18 14:15:00

kvnmcwebn
Website

beztak wrote:

I hope it was only very very quick and rough attempt ;)

hey now…

Its only a quick sketch, if anyone wants to confirm content and or offer encouragement i will do a bit more..

Last edited by kvnmcwebn (2008-06-18 14:20:56)

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#112 2008-06-18 14:47:13

maniqui
Website

Hi Kevin,

I must admit I can’t see the differences between the three screenshots! Am I blind?

Regarding the design, it’s nice, simple, inspired on current txp.com.
Although, I would like to see something even more “texty” (text/CSS based), and less shiny.

Wet stated some Design Principles on the relaunch wiki.
I think your design goes on those design principles, but at the same time, it looks too corporative (particularly, the main navigation) for my taste.

Just to keep in mind: Home Page Design Guidelines

kvnmcwebn wrote:

Its only a quick sketch, if anyone wants to confirm content and or offer encouragement i will proceed, not going to spend time for no reason.

I don’t know exactly who has a vote on any submitted sketchs (probably, mainly, the core devs), but don’t hesitate in proceeding and spending time, if you enjoy doing it.
But at the same time, I will encourage you to avoid feeling sad/bad if someone doesn’t like your sketchs or if your sketchs aren’t being taken in consideration.
I believe there is always some ego involved in any cooperation (being a design, a chunk of code, a plugin, some content) but keeping our egos at minimum is safer for everyone and the whole community.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#113 2008-06-18 15:15:11

kvnmcwebn
Website

maniqui wrote:

bq.I must admit I can’t see the differences between the three screenshots! Am I blind?

nearly the same, the reason I did the slight variations was becuase i read somewhere(wiki?) the bg should to be white, so one of them is white the other two have slight tints. I think its harder to read on a ffffff bg.

thanks for all the input and links, ill take it on all board.

i feel motivated to pitch in if i can because i’ve gotten a lot of help on here.

-best
kevin

photogallery

#114 2008-06-18 15:16:05

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

patchwork wrote:

I also think there should be a professional version which would pay for all this effort, no kidding!

In that case we’re looking forward to your donation ;)

#115 2008-06-18 16:39:01

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

As Robert suggests, I think we need to wait until a uniform method for deploying themes is arrived at.

Can we have an IRC meeting to come up with a uniform method?

#116 2008-06-18 17:30:43

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

hcgtv wrote:

Can we have an IRC meeting to come up with a uniform method?

• Suggested starting points: mcw_templates/hgc_templates (my eyes keep popping out whenever I try to find the difference between those, besides the directory) plus cnk_versioning
  • Guide lines
  • Time frame for implementation: Post Txp 4.0.7

#117 2008-06-18 18:49:29

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

Suggested starting points: mcw_templates/hgc_templates (my eyes keep popping out whenever I try to find the difference between those, besides the directory)

I emailed Mike West when I decided to use his plugin for my templating scheme, he never emailed me back. So I decided to fork it and go my own way with it.

My reasoning for changing the location of the directory.

Guide lines

I have a nice wiki page also.

Time frame for implementation: Post Txp 4.0.7

That sounds good to me.

Last edited by hcgtv (2008-07-21 20:13:26)

#118 2008-06-18 22:38:01

kvnmcwebn
Website

that template installation looks brilliant

photogallery

#119 2008-06-25 02:51:51

Destry
Website

I had this monstrous post I was making under the “Forum and Website” forum about, of all things, “marketing” and how badly Txp needs it and how it should start with a modernization of .com..etc.. and then, miraculously, I found this thread and Poof! there went a very long chunk of time down the drain.

@wet: Pat’s right. I have no ownership of .net. Dean backed the wiki project in the beginning, but it was always a bit of mystery who the real elves were. I always just assumed it was TxD folks. I know Pedro had hands-on, but I think he’s long gone.

@Bert : Cracking me up about that $10 domain thing and herding the cats. Yes, you have to take control. Someone has to be in control.

@zero: I agree with the other sentiments about NOT creating any more textwhatever domains. Consolidation is something I tried preaching over and over long ago.

Which leads to the final comment to no one in particular. I have never understood why people try and force a distinction between a blogging engine and a CMS (other than to bash the former). If you just call it what it is, a content publishing system, then there’s no distinction and no snipe-hunt marketing angles to pursue. Everybody wins with Txp, and that’s how you communicate it under a single web entity. Use the pitch of “You can do X, Y, and Z with Txp.” Where letters are whatever you want to sell. One publishing engine; does whatever you want it to.

#120 2008-06-25 06:49:06

jstubbs
Website

Nice post Destry! Good to see you back ;-)

Board footer