Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2008-09-18 12:00:11

Destry
Website

Re: [howto] Discuss closing this forum and moving all relevant posts to TextBook

@wet: Google? What’s that? :) Yep, that would be the one. Thanks.

@ruud: Feels better.

#26 2008-09-22 20:51:10

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [howto] Discuss closing this forum and moving all relevant posts to TextBook

I recently made a short post which I believe would be better placed in the “How to” forum with an appropriate title so people can find it better. This particular post however is not directly concerned with TXP so I don’t believe it is something that should be transferred to Textbook. I think this is another reason for keeping the “How to” forum open.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#27 2008-09-22 21:08:09

renobird
Website

I’ve posted a version on that thread too. It’s a different method than thebombsite’s, but still a very useful how-to for those wanting to use the jQuery.cycle plugin. Doesn’t seem to belong in Textbook – but still great info for TXP users.

Is this horse dead? Clear. Hit him with the defibrillator!

#28 2008-09-23 14:17:56

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I think it’s just a bit of a “tease”, allowing me to post to this thread but not the rest of the forum. Maybe they think it will shut me up. ;)

Stuart

#29 2008-09-23 15:31:50

maverick
Website

Fwiw

I understand why you feel it might not belong in Txbk, but since it is how to use it w/Txp I think it would be useful. Especially if all the IA calls for all How-tos to go there.

#30 2008-09-23 18:02:44

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Stuart, Tom, I agree that those two examples don’t really fit in TextBook.
What if we use this forum to collect howtos and only put a “best of” selection of those howtos in TextBook?

#31 2008-09-25 15:11:43

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well is it possible, for those “How tos” that are transferred to Textbook, for the link in this forum to go to the Textbook entry or would that have to be done manually and create a lot of work? Or maybe the titles be modified with “transferred to Textbook” text added?

Stuart

#32 2008-09-25 15:18:28

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Hmm… perhaps just prefix the title with “TextBook:” and insert the link to that specific howto in the opening post. Would closing those topics be a good idea or is there a reason to keep them open?

#33 2008-09-26 14:51:37

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Mmm that’s a tricky one. The only problem I see is that you can’t really ask questions over on the wiki if your situation is different to the example(s) shown. Having said that, if the thread is closed, you can always ask a question in the “How do I” forum. Any new coding method resulting from the question/answer could be used to modify the wiki entry but the Moderators would need to keep an eye out for this stuff. Also closing the thread might push visitors to go to the wiki more than they currently do.

I was also wondering if it would be useful if the threads that are moved to the wiki could be “re-dated” or made “sticky” so that they appear at the top of the listing. That way visitors can see straight away whether they need to go to the wiki without having to page through the forum.

I’m also wondering if the list of people who can open a NEW thread could be restricted in some way so it doesn’t get filled with crap. Not a restriction on commenting, just opening.

Last edited by thebombsite (2008-09-26 14:53:49)

Stuart

#34 2008-09-26 21:35:38

els

thebombsite wrote:

Mmm that’s a tricky one. The only problem I see is that you can’t really ask questions over on the wiki if your situation is different to the example(s) shown. Having said that, if the thread is closed, you can always ask a question in the “How do I” forum. Any new coding method resulting from the question/answer could be used to modify the wiki entry but the Moderators would need to keep an eye out for this stuff. Also closing the thread might push visitors to go to the wiki more than they currently do.

Good idea, I agree.

I was also wondering if it would be useful if the threads that are moved to the wiki could be “re-dated” or made “sticky” so that they appear at the top of the listing. That way visitors can see straight away whether they need to go to the wiki without having to page through the forum.

This will eventually result in a page or more full of sticky threads ;) so that other topics won’t be as visible as they should be. Maybe a subforum would be better?

I’m also wondering if the list of people who can open a NEW thread could be restricted in some way so it doesn’t get filled with crap. Not a restriction on commenting, just opening.

Anyway you’d somehow have to prevent people opening new threads about closed topics in the How-tos forum. If moderators could move topics to this forum, would that be sufficient? I always keep an eye on ‘my’ How do I forum, and that seems to be the most likely place to post new How-tos.

#35 2008-09-27 23:10:07

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

This will eventually result in a page or more full of sticky threads ;) so that other topics won’t be as visible as they should be. Maybe a subforum would be better?

I suggested this following Ruud’s suggestion above that maybe only a “best of” selection of topics might be moved to Textbook but if that turns out to be most of them I agree with the problem you point out. Having said that I would imagine that most visitors looking for a solution would do a search which means they would end up going directly to the appropriate thread, by-passing any long list of stickies.

Anyway you’d somehow have to prevent people opening new threads about closed topics in the How-tos forum. If moderators could move topics to this forum, would that be sufficient?

Yes, provided they get an appropriate title such as moving the 2 posts that Tom and I mentioned on the previous page. Having said that it doesn’t take care of the totally new ideas that might come to mind with the advent of new tags such as <txp:modified /> or <txp:variable />. Maybe some of the more adventurous coders could become moderators of this forum so that they can post directly if they so wish. I’m thinking that it might not be as many people as you imagine. The “usual suspects” is probably quite a short list??

Stuart

#36 2008-10-02 15:52:59

Destry
Website

thebombsite wrote:

The only problem I see is that you can’t really ask questions over on the wiki if your situation is different to the example(s) shown.

Technically speaking that’s not true. Each wiki page has it’s associated talk page (via the “Discussion” tab). If you “watch” (equivalent to subscribing to a forum topic) either the article’s page or it’s associated talk page you’re effectively notified by email of changes to either one. So Q/A could take place there via push notification.

Where this more-often-than-not fails, is on the human side; nobody uses talk pages. :/

Just for the record.

Board footer