Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#41 2015-09-16 14:34:27

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Re: PHPXref at 1024px

The intention to use the textpattern.io domain name was informed to the other core devs and there was no opposition from them to the plan. It will be donated to whatever entity we set up to eventually govern Textpattern. That is all – nothing sinister or underhand – just a domain that we actually hold ourselves.

#42 2015-09-16 14:50:43

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #294900:

It will be donated to whatever entity we set up to eventually govern Textpattern.

When you get this entity all setup, drop me a line, until then Mr Wareham, until then.

#43 2015-09-16 15:05:16

michaelkpate
Website

I reported a post once that I meant to quote. That was embarrassing.

#44 2015-09-16 15:21:38

Destry
Website

Uli, MKP,

Yeah, it sucks. Bad timing too. Thanks for coming forward.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#45 2015-09-17 04:39:50

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry, let us continue …

Destry wrote #294889:

To me the logo mark itself (hammer an chisel) is the common denominator that could be used effectively across owned and third-party platforms to show some kind of harmonious allegiance. It just needs some creative thought towards how to pull it off. If anything, it should be a fun thing to do, as well as productive.

Destry,

The logo is being used on TXP Themes, TXP Tags, TXP Planet and We Love TXP. All of those sites have held their allegiance to Textpattern for many years, do you see anything to the contrary?

I’m having a ton of fun, and I’m being a productive human being.

Now, please explain to me, how I’m doing it wrong from your perspective.

#46 2015-09-17 11:42:26

ruud
Developer emeritus
Website

hcgtv wrote #294923:

The logo is being used on TXP Themes, TXP Tags, TXP Planet and We Love TXP. All of those sites have held their allegiance to Textpattern for many years, do you see anything to the contrary?

Bert, when you left, several weeks ago, I was under the impression that you wanted to fork TXP and take it into a different direction, thus creating a product that is no longer Textpattern. In that case using the name/logo TXP would be confusing to end-users. If you’re not, then I don’t see a problem with those sites.

#47 2015-09-17 16:39:13

Destry
Website

Allow me to ride that wave a minute, Ruud, for what I hope is the greater good of things…

ruud wrote #294932:

Bert, when you left, several weeks ago, I was under the impression that you wanted to fork TXP and take it into a different direction, thus creating a product that is no longer Textpattern.

An impression people are still under, mostly likey, unless we’re to interpret his return to harangue me a show of solidarity. In which case I am of value, if but cursed, because forking this project would be pretty stupid, in my opinion.

In that case using the name/logo TXP would be confusing to end-users.

Indeed, and identity has been my whole misconstrued point.

But unlike you, my good man, I feel “TXP” (the acronym) is confusing either way. That’s just my opinion about the “TextPattern” identity crisis, however. I don’t think anyone shares that point of view, so my sole opinion doesn’t matter, ultimately. And my time as TXP Mag editor should suggest to antagonists that I can see beyond the trees. It’s certainly not worth drawing sabers over.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#48 2015-09-17 17:31:06

philwareham
Core designer
Website

If TXP is a fork of Textpattern then the hammer/chisel logo branding should not be used, as that is the copyright of Textpattern owners and not part of the software licence. Also any forked code needs to adhere to the correct licence conduct for use.

#49 2015-09-17 17:51:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote #294932:

Bert, when you left, several weeks ago, I was under the impression that you wanted to fork TXP and take it into a different direction, thus creating a product that is no longer Textpattern. In that case using the name/logo TXP would be confusing to end-users. If you’re not, then I don’t see a problem with those sites.

Using TXP as part of the domain name is pretty common, TXPMAG, TXPTIPS, TXPQ, to name a few.

• So I went with TXPTAG.org for the tags site and TXPTAG.com for Themes, that was 5 years ago.
  • TXPlanet.net has existed since 2006, it’s a handy site to get an overall glimpse of things.
  • We Love TXP was given to me by Sam, I’ve polished it up and I’m getting submissions.

So the above sites are not welcome into the Textpattern family because I’ve been inclined to fork?

There in lies your problem, you’re lumping everything I’m doing into one forking nightmare.

This is week seven of my journey down the Bootstrap highway, and I’ve accomplished quite a lot.

So here’s the deal, you’re going to have to convince me not to fork in this here thread.

At the start of business Monday, September 21, I plan to release TXP CMS into the world.

Or I can link to your download of Textpattern 4.5.7 and bring more users into the family.

We can work together, or we can part ways right here and now.

#50 2015-09-17 17:59:51

gaekwad
Admin

Destry wrote #294893:

Please, remove my admin rights now and bring Gaekwad back.

For completeness, I committed moderator seppuku (rather than being ousted from above) because of a serious confidence knock after a Textpattern project site upgrade went south, despite numerous checks before and after. My fault, of course, but I don’t know what I did wrong to break it. Things were fixed, so no long-term harm done, but it was a rough day.

Edit: use the right words.

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-09-17 18:08:52)

Board footer