Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2015-09-16 08:40:34

Destry
Website

Re: PHPXref at 1024px

hcgtv wrote #294849:

The docs are being hosted on a domain outside the official Textpattern domains, I host domains outside also, you’re doing docs that you’re giving away for free, I’m doing Themes, and they are free for anyone to download.

Now explain to me, real slow, how you get to play all sheriff like on my ass?

It was a fair question to this community (glad to see you’re back) concerning user convenience with the documentation (i.e., linking to resources that were locked off and needed extra steps to access). The community replied it was fine, and I adjusted the docs for the status they were under. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Is that slow enough?

Btw, I wasn’t aware of the site until I started editing the new docs; not being a plugin developer, and all, I never read that stuff before. My focus isn’t on turf wars, it’s on the usability of documentation. Period.

—-

Edited to quote the correct part of your message.

Last edited by Destry (2015-09-16 08:44:55)

#26 2015-09-16 10:13:25

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #294855:

Is that slow enough?

Slower now, I wanna hear the part about how you and Phil have decided to move the docs to Textpattern.io because of the inability to secure .com, .net and .org from Dean Allen. Please elaborate on why what you’re doing is community seal of approval, but what I’m doing is blasphemous.

Got a new cup of coffee, I await your elaborate explanation.

#27 2015-09-16 11:06:46

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Great to know the site is in free access again, many thanks Bert, and together we stand.

#28 2015-09-16 11:30:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #294853:

Thanks Bert, I use the PHPCrossRef for txp from time to time and find it very useful.

etc wrote #294865:

Great to know the site is in free access again, many thanks Bert, and together we stand.

Thanks for the kind words.

The cross-references were and are still free, you just need to ask me for a password for those projects that are still protected, there’s a link to our inbox on the PHPCrossRef front page.

Until I implement a solution, to stop the web scrapers but allow for all access to approved users, password protection is my only option.

My traffic is increasing, there’s just so much a little VPS can take.

#29 2015-09-16 11:55:12

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote #294871:

The cross-references were and are still free, you just need to ask me for a password for those projects that are still protected, there’s a link to our inbox on the PHPCrossRef front page.

I don’t mind asking for password, it’s just more you have them – more you forget. A bit surprised too that Textpattern is so popular among ref thieves. :)

#30 2015-09-16 12:00:29

Destry
Website

hcgtv wrote #294859:

Slower now, I wanna hear the part about how … what I’m doing is blasphemous.

Maybe you’re the one moving too fast. Where did I say that?

The only thing I’ve ever questioned — (I’ll dig up the link/quote later) — is your use of that particular “TXP” logo, because I seem to recall it was Phillipe’s spec work for the current “Textpattern” logo, which didn’t win the bid, as it were. Thus using turned-down spec work on “third-party” (no offense) platforms would, to my mind, obviously introduce confusion to Textpattern’s brand. Why would anyone (you, say) want to introduce confusion about brand identity if the content is supporting the project?

I could be wrong about how I remember the logo selection process, and what Belipe intended the different designs be used for, but if I am wrong, I’ll happily stand corrected. Not a big deal.

Any other presumptions about my opinion, however, would be misplaced.

Also, contrary to what you seem to think, I have nothing to do with domain decisions. I can only support (or not) the decisions being made by those who do have the upper-hand on the matter. I even liked the txpcms domain (and many of the other “fun” new TLD options) before it was clear that Phil was going with .io as a .com alternative. And still a precautionary alternative, as far as I’m aware, because nobody can reach Dean. But if a Txp core lead says docs will be moving off the wiki (which was said a loooooooooong time ago), then I have two choices: piss and bitch about it and abandon the effort, or pitch in and help where I can to ensure it’s at least going in the best way possible.

The rest is history.

#31 2015-09-16 12:26:28

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #294876:

Maybe you’re the one moving too fast. Where did I say that?

Fast, you ain’t seen fast yet.

The only thing I’ve ever questioned — (I’ll dig up the link/quote later) — is your use of that particular “TXP” logo, because I seem to recall it was Phillipe’s spec work for the current “Textpattern” logo, which didn’t win the bid, as it were. Thus using turned-down spec work on “third-party” (no offense) platforms would, to my mind, obviously introduce confusion to Textpattern’s brand. Why would anyone (you, say) want to introduce confusion about brand identity if the content is supporting the project?

I could be wrong about how I remember the logo selection process, and what Belipe intended the different designs be used for, but if I am wrong, I’ll happily stand corrected. Not a big deal.

Any other presumptions about my opinion, however, would be misplaced.

All someone has to do is email me with their concerns, I’ll gladly work it out with them in private.

The logos look kick-ass on those Themes, don’t you think?

Also, contrary to what you seem to think, I have nothing to do with domain decisions. I can only support (or not) the decisions being made by those who do have the upper-hand on the matter. I even liked the txpcms domain (and many of the other “fun” new TLD options) before it was clear that Phil was going with .io as a .com alternative. And still a precautionary alternative, as far as I’m aware, because nobody can reach Dean. But if a Txp core lead says docs will be moving off the wiki (which was said a loooooooooong time ago), then I have two choices: piss and bitch about it and abandon the effort, or pitch in and help where I can to ensure it’s at least going in the best way possible.

Phil is one of 3 core devs, what does Robert and Stef say about Textpattern.io?

The rest is history.

#32 2015-09-16 12:39:09

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #294875:

I don’t mind asking for password, it’s just more you have them – more you forget.

Try KeePass, that’s what I use, there’s no way I could remember all my passwords.

A bit surprised too that Textpattern is so popular among ref thieves. :)

Ref thieves grab everything, they have no project preferences. In the logs, I can see their scrapers hit the top level menu items and float down to /xref/whatever_project_is_next, but now they are met with a 401 instead of a 200.

#33 2015-09-16 12:54:49

uli

Thanks, Bert, for re-opening the Textpattern section. It’s been very helpful when polishing some plugin.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#34 2015-09-16 13:05:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

uli wrote #294886:

Thanks, Bert, for re-opening the Textpattern section. It’s been very helpful when polishing some plugin.

You’re welcome.

#35 2015-09-16 13:08:06

Destry
Website

hcgtv wrote #294877:

The logos look kick-ass on those Themes, don’t you think?

I’ve never liked the pet acronym, “TXP”, which I’ve always been open about and certainly in the minority on. So that gets no love from me.

To me the logo mark itself (hammer an chisel) is the common denominator that could be used effectively across owned and third-party platforms to show some kind of harmonious allegiance. It just needs some creative thought towards how to pull it off. If anything, it should be a fun thing to do, as well as productive.

Phil is one of 3 core devs, what does Robert and Stef say about Textpattern.io?

Honestly, I don’t see where it matters. Who cares, in fact. If one of them has decided and the others are quiet, then obviously it’s consensus by no opposition. Done deal. Let’s move on. Two cents.

#36 2015-09-16 13:32:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #294889:

The logo is being used on TXP Themes, TXP Tags, TXP Planet and We Love TXP. All of those sites currently hold their allegiance to Textpattern, do you see anything to the contrary?

I’m not talking about allegiance, per se, I’m talking about the visual identity not being confusing. Should I talk slower? ;)
And I don’t just mean your newly acquired suite of sites, but all other third-party sites too.

But like I said, I’m in the minority on “TXP”. I realize that. It just doesn’t communicate the brand name effectively enough. As long as people still write “TextPattern”, I can only think nothing but “Textpattern” is needed wherever possible.

Okay, I say let’s head towards TXP CMS then, anyone oppose?

Woops. I edited the wrong post. Fuck, fixing… hang on. – DW

Board footer