Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-06-27 08:31:10

aslsw66
Website

[request] Remove paragraph tags from excerpts

I have written a small plugin for my own site that simply removes the opening and closing paragraph tags from an excerpt. This is my first plugin – an easy one but you have to walk before you can crawl!

Basically, it works exactly the same as the normal <code><txp:excerpt /></code> tag except that the opening <p> and closing </p> tags are removed. The idea is that I can then apply my own styled <p> tag, and also include other bits and pieces within the same paragraph as the excerpt – rather than outside the paragraph.

This approach addresses my specific need. I’ve looked at a few of the plugins out there, but they all seem to do a lot more than I want whilst generating the excerpt from the article body. I like the semantic nature of having an excerpt as a distinctly separate piece of content, but just wanted more control over it.

I know that excerpts might not always start with a <p> tag eg. when the author has used textile to use alternative formatting, and I also know that excerpts can be created without textile – I figure I can trap those ones in my plugin.

So, my questions are:

1. has this already been done before? My searches haven’t shown anything similar, although I have seem some discussion about hacking the basic excerpt processing …
  2. is this worth releasing into the wild? I know how it works on my own site, but of course can’t control how it works on real sites created by others.
  3. what else do I need to know about Textpattern’s use of excerpts? As I say, this is my first attempt at a plugin, my knowledge of Textpattern’s internal workings is pretty slim (although I know I love it!) and I could be completely stuffing up some core functionality!

Thanks for any ideas.

#2 2006-06-27 18:01:06

pieman
Website

Re: [request] Remove paragraph tags from excerpts

theres a plugin called etz_striptags which you can use to achieve a similar result, but it actually strips all tags out of the excerpt, including any textile-added formatting…

#3 2006-06-28 00:26:28

aslsw66
Website

Yep, I have seen that plugin. My problem was that I only really wanted to insert some additional content at the start and end of the excerpt – stripping out all tags runs the risk of corrupting the excerpts formatting completely.

As I say, I know that this will work for me because I can control how I create excerpts.

#4 2006-06-28 13:22:49

pieman
Website

I’d use it if you published it :)

#5 2006-07-20 16:58:07

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I just tried to get kgr_safe_excerpt and etz_striptags to work together (I am running an svn version a couple of days old) and the output was badly mangled. So after examining the code for both, I customized the return statement to

<code>return strip_tags(parse($excerpt));</code>

and finally got the validator to tell me that I wasn’t nesting paragraphs.

#6 2006-08-10 16:56:34

Jeff_K
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Here is a modification to give you what you need. Just swap it with the existing code source.

<pre>
function etz_striptags($atts, $thing) { extract(lAtts(array(‘allow’ => ‘’),$atts)); if (empty($allow)) { return strip_tags(parse($thing)); } else { $allow = explode(‘,’, $allow); foreach ($allow as $tag) { $allow[$tag] = ‘<’.$tag.’>’; } $allow = implode($allow, ‘,’); return strip_tags(parse($thing), $allow); }
}
</pre>

To use wrap a block of text or a txp tag (excerpt for example) in <code><txp:etz_striptags></code>. The plugin now takes one argument, <code>allow</code>, a comma seperated list of tag names that you want retained within the section wrapped by the tag. All other tags will be stripped.

Example:

<code><txp:etz_striptags allow=“em,strong”><p><em>I hate paragraph tags, but like <em>emphasis</em> and <strong>strong</strong> tags!</p></code>.

Would give you: <code>I hate paragraph tags, but like <em>emphasis</em> and <strong>strong</strong> tags!</code>.

This modification worked well with my very limited testing.

#7 2006-10-17 15:56:35

minimal design

Before I get crazy implementing this plugin, few questions:

#Is there a way to do this without plugin in 4.0.4?

#If no, anyone has it working on 4.0.4 – compatible?

#How would you get rid off the paragraph wrap in excerpt with just textile?

Thanks!

#8 2006-10-18 05:17:54

1beb
Plugin Author
Website

Isn’t this feature already built into textpattern? “Article —> Advanced Options —> Excerpt (Dropdown) —> Leave text untouched”

I guess the only annoying thing is that you have to do it for every single article, but with etz_strip you’d still have to type it in all the time.

Cheers,

Board footer