Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2006-09-23 18:15:54

jmuspratt
Website

Re: Widescreen, a photoblog template

Jason —

Not really. I built it around Textpattern’s native image-and-thumbnail structure, so I don’t know how you’d add a third associated image easily.

#62 2006-09-23 23:47:06

jasonwlangley
Website

Hey James,

Thanks for the very quick reply!

I have widescreen set up and running, still tryin to get some other things worked out.

I have noticed that the seach feature does not seem to search by tags, but only by title. Is this normal, or is there any way to fix this? Ideally, I would like the search to look for matching terms in both titles and tags.

Also, it seems that in Firefox, when the textile help is opened in the comments box, the bottom gets cut off. I tried to move the comments box higher on the page, but of coarse it then poked out the top into the header… So, to fix this I reduced the input field size for the comments box to 60px. That’s the largest it can be (at least for me) without having the bottom run off the screen.

Thanks again,
Jason

#63 2006-09-26 18:36:20

jmuspratt
Website

Hey Jason,

• Yeah, that’s both normal and unfortunate. The textpattern search covers title and body (i.e. caption), but not the keywords field that tru_tags depends on. I don’t know of any way to change that.
  • Again, no easy solution. I tried a while back to position the comments box higher (so those with short screens could actually use the textile help), but had lots of problems hiding it anywhere above the title/descriptiono box. I’m sure it can be done – I just ran out of time. For now I’m afraid visitors are stuck with collapsing the textile help when they’re done with it.

#64 2006-10-23 06:17:11

jasonwlangley
Website

James,

Back again with a few more questions… finally got widescreen set up and running fairly well. Still (slowly) adding all my photos, and trying to get some last things tweaked before moving on.

First, in my archive, there seems to be a bug or maybe a misconfiguration, but I can seem to figure out what is happening. If you looks at my archive pages there are wierd gaps between the images. They change when I add photos, or when comments are added. For instance, sometimes they will line up when a certain number of images are in the archive, but as soon as another image or comment is added, the breaks appear agian. check here: http://seekingfocus.com/photo/archive/ to see if you can see what I am trying to explain.

Also, this is just something I was thinking of, and I’m sure it can be done, I’m just not sure what plugin I might need to use a weighted tag list instead of the unordered list with the numbers of articles contained within each tag. I’d rather use this as my list of tags is getting quite long, and it would perhaps alleviate this a bit, plus I just like the idea of the tagclouds.

And one more thing… is there any way to have an archive viewable by dates, specifically by month… that’s really bugging me, especially when I get all my images up there will be quite a few…

Thanks again for all the help and sorry to bother you so much. If you could at least point me in the right direction for some of these problems I’d really appreciate it. All in all though, I am really enjoying WideScreen, and looking forward to getting my site fully operational…

Thanks,
Jason

#65 2006-10-23 17:39:34

bmiidx

hi James,

im new in textpatten. i built my photoblog with the widescreen template and everything work fine except the custom-color feature. how to pick a color from each photo ??? is it the image id ?

Thanks,
Bmiidx

ps. The template design is really cool!!

#66 2006-10-23 20:52:32

NeilA
Website

On my son’s use of this template, the second custom field is renamed ‘Image-Color’ (rename it in Admin > Advanced Prefs if it’s not already called that), and then in the ‘Write’ tab, the colour is entered as a hex number, eg: ‘7E909E’

My son uses his photo editing software to pick a colour he wants as the highlight colour…

Hope that helps

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#67 2006-10-24 02:08:28

bmiidx

O~….it’s work~~~! Textpattern is amazing !

NeilA, Thank you so much~~!!!

#68 2006-10-24 02:53:01

jmuspratt
Website

Thanks Neil for being so quick!

Jason – great photos! (Is that the Norwegian island Å I see?) The weird wrapping of thumbnails your getting in the archive annoying. It looks like each row will only float left as far as the image in the row above it that has comments. Arg! Frankly I don’t understand why (Firebug says all the li’s are 108px square), but I suppose you could try tweaking the CSS by adding some more negative margin (left and top) to the comment bug. I’ll try to test this sort of thing more thoroughly in the next version.

As for archives by month, it’s probably do-able. I’ll look into that eventually, but can’t promise anything soon. I haven’t explored all those new textpattern if_different tags. (Or you could try messing with Rob Sable’s superarchive plugin?). Good luck!

EDIT: Yup, you can do a weighted tag cloud. Just go to Presentation > Forms > tagslist and change <txp:tru_tags_list break="li" showcounts="1" /> to <txp:tru_tags_cloud showcounts="1" />; you may want to mess with the CSS to make it prettier though. There’s more about that plugin on the on the tru_tags instructions page.

Last edited by jmuspratt (2006-10-24 03:38:42)

#69 2006-10-26 09:45:03

shanghai

hmm, it seeems like the files under ABOUT isn’t included in the download, where do you put them? I’ve tried save files under the section “about”, and it works in a way, do you mind putting out the forms you’ve used – as I assume you are using some of the plugins I’ve installed, but I’ve got no idea how to work around with the feedback forms….thanks a million!

#70 2006-10-26 14:01:43

jmuspratt
Website

Shanghai —
Take a look in the -articles folder. Take each text file, paste the contents into an (appropriately named) new article, and post it to the about section.

Edit: sorry, not sure I’m understanding. Do you see a reference to a form or page that isn’t included in the download? As always, post a link if you want me to take a look.

Last edited by jmuspratt (2006-10-26 14:13:18)

#71 2006-10-26 16:11:39

shanghai

sorry, for some unknow reason beyond my understanding I didnt see that folder before now, sorry. its working fine now.

#72 2006-10-29 10:13:56

jasonwlangley
Website

Just an update for those who may be interested…

jasonwlangley wrote:
Also, this is just something I was thinking of, and I’m sure it can be done, I’m just not sure what plugin I might need to use a weighted tag list instead of the unordered list with the numbers of articles contained within each tag. I’d rather use this as my list of tags is getting quite long, and it would perhaps alleviate this a bit, plus I just like the idea of the tagclouds.

I found it was actually quite easy to do this with tru_tags_cloud… I don’t know why I couldn’t find that before. Just change tru_tags_list to tru_tags_cloud in the taglinks form and it should work. Just takes a bit of stylin to get it looking right ;-) It’s working quite nicely for me now.

jasonwlangley wrote:
And one more thing… is there any way to have an archive viewable by dates, specifically by month… that’s really bugging me, especially when I get all my images up there will be quite a few…

I was able to do this (with a good bit of hassle) with rss_suparchive. It’s a good plugin, pretty customisable, but was tough getting everything going and styled properly. Everything seems to be running smoothly now, EXCEPT

I STILL can’t figure out what is going on with my archives. I think it may be a bug, but maybe just a mistake I made in the CSS, but I can’t find it for anything. It’s making me crazy and I have spent WAY too much time trying to figure it out. You can see what is happening here with the linebreaks in randoms spots: http://www.seekingfocus.com/photo/archive

If anyone had any suggestions about the archive problem, I’d really love to know!

Thanks,
Jason

Board footer