Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-10-22 23:22:06

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: [wiki] Textpattern Tags and their Categories

One thing I can say. The styles and multi-column layout makes the taglist harder to read than it should.

And to be honest, I’m not really fond to the use of spaces instead of underscores (_). I liked how on the old TextBook you could copy the tag to clipboard right from the tag listing.

Last edited by Gocom (2010-10-22 23:24:03)

#14 2010-10-22 23:53:44

Destry
Website

Gocom,

The styling of the wiki does need updated to be consistent with the main site presentation. That will simply involve color and font changes. And of course the logo as mentioned.

The columns, however, are dynamic features of the wiki, and speaking for myself, I’m not messing with that. And that’s not because I don’t have any problems with the columns, which I think make the page easier to consume. Better than a much longer scrolling page, but that’s just me.

The removal of the underscores in tag names came about from much discussion on how to rename new tag pages in the wiki back when the changes were made. The idea was to make the actual page titles more human readable and easier to maintain (keep consistent across authors). Not an unreasonable aim for a wiki, actually. On each wiki page, the actual tag syntax is provided immediately under the title so there’s no confusion should someone make the effort to follow a link. Seems to be working for most people so far. Maybe Bert will do it different in his project.

#15 2010-10-29 01:35:23

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Long nights staring at the computer screen, it glaring back.

Processing the old categories:

1. Article [36] - Removed the Conditional category tags
2. Comment [28] - Removed the Conditional category tags
3. Conditional [33] - Kept one category, Conditional
4. Error Handling [4] - Moved to new System category
5. File [11] - Moved to new Asset category
6. Future [6] - Moved to appropriate categories, Conditional and Assets
7. Image [5] - Moved to new Asset category
8. Link [9] - Moved to Navigation category
9. List [5] - Moved to Navigation category
10. Markup [14] - Moved to Structural category 
11. Navigation [16] - Greeted the new arrivals
12. Programmer [4] - Moved to new System category
13. Search [9] - Moved to new System category
14. Structural [8] - Removed the Conditional category tags

Spitting out the new categories:

1. Article [22]
2. Asset [21]
3. Comment [23]
4. Conditional [34]
5. Navigation [24]
6. Structural [21]
7. System [12]

From 14 to 7 categories:

• By moving out the conditionals, the tag numbers in those categories went down. These conditionals, can be easily linked to from their corresponding tags. Like the section tag points out that there is a corresponding if_section tag, or some other method. I just thought it inflated the categories, and added confusion.
  • Error Handling, Programmer and Search went into a System category. These categories had very little tags in them, and I thought a name like System encompassed their purpose.
  • File and Image went into an Asset category, maybe one day to be joined by video tags.
  • Link and List are primarily Navigation related tags. Though Links could be Assets since they under the Content tab in the admin, they are primarily used to create either internal or external navigation links.
  • Markup dealt with similar tasks as Structural tags, the structure surrounding the article content.

This is what me and the 148 tags came up with.

Board footer