Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-11-17 20:02:13

kevinpotts

Windows IIS - Starting from the ground up with PHP

I have a client who is running a complicated IT infrastructure for whatever reason. Their server is Windows-based and runs on a local col-lo operated by die-hard .NET guys. My client, however, wants to use Textpattern for their new website. So I have two major questions:

1.) I need a resource that guides idiots like me on installing PHP on a Windows server. What to install, security issues, etc. Basically need a fully functioning, Textpattern-ready install.
2.) This is a yes/no question. Can Textpattern run off Windows SQL Server? Does it have to be MySQL? The former is installed, the latter is not.

SUB-QUESTION: I am better off just trying a WAMP solution?

I have dug around on these forums for IIS info without much luck. Most posts go unanswered, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#2 2008-11-17 21:35:32

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Windows IIS - Starting from the ground up with PHP

kevinpotts wrote:

I need a resource that guides idiots like me on installing PHP on a Windows server. What to install, security issues, etc. Basically need a fully functioning, Textpattern-ready install.

Most easiest is to just install some of these, brothers of LAMP package:

Xampp/Wamp maybe the easiest to install of those, but are also slow, and not so fitting to a live server enviroment. Alternatively you can run PHP on IIS (Wimp) by just downloading PHP zip from PHP.net. But that is just PHP, nothing more (no Apache and everything works like in those PHP@Windows nightmares).

To make that PHP package to run is fairly easy. Tutorial: http://php.net/install.windows

Last edited by Gocom (2008-11-17 21:39:38)

#3 2008-11-18 18:31:28

kevinpotts

Xampp/Wamp maybe the easiest to install of those, but are also slow, and not so fitting to a live server enviroment.

How slow? And would Apache interfere with Microsoft Exchange?

To make that PHP package to run is fairly easy. Tutorial: http://php.net/install.windows

I tried this, and I think it’s installed, but I just have no clue how to test anything to see if it will work.

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#4 2008-11-22 20:46:53

kevinpotts

OK, I installed XAMPP on my local machine, and with the help of Textpattern Solutions, have a nice website up and running. I just need assistance with the whole mail problem (which I resurrected here), and I can confidently bring this solution to my client.

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#5 2008-11-23 09:24:58

jakob
Admin
Website

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but it was my impression that installing XAMPP (and co) on your local windows box replicates an apache webserver locally not an MS windows server environment so unless they install a similar apache setup on their windows server that serves their website, you may encounter problems when you transfer online.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2008-11-23 12:01:07

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

jakob wrote:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but it was my impression that installing XAMPP (and co) on your local windows box replicates an apache webserver locally not an MS windows server environment so unless they install a similar apache setup on their windows server that serves their website, you may encounter problems when you transfer online.

Kinda debends on hosting provider. If it is webhotel then most likely yes, you can’t run that kind of things on shared hosts. But if it is full server / virtual server, then you can basically copy+paste the install if you have rights to run apps. But…

But it would be better to run PHP on IIS (note: only way), not to use XAMMP that is just Apache replica. First of all it’s slow as hell, but it isn’t our problem if you want to cause load (I already pointed that out). And it’s just for development servers, not real “solution” – it shouldn’t be used on live server, but instead you (or host provider) should install PHP Windows version and Apache if you really need it.

But that is most likely only possibly if they use real own dedi server.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-11-23 12:07:15)

#7 2008-11-23 14:27:19

kevinpotts

But it would be better to run PHP on IIS (note: only way), not to use XAMMP that is just Apache replica. First of all it’s slow as hell, but it isn’t our problem if you want to cause load (I already pointed that out).

Running XAMPP is precisely what I intend to do. How much slower is XAMPP? I need some kind of quantification for this. The site this install will be driving is not high-volumne.

And it’s just for development servers, not real “solution” – it shouldn’t be used on live server, but instead you (or host provider) should install PHP Windows version and Apache if you really need it.

I do not have the expertise to install these, much less tweak them for production use. The hosting / co-lo company is strictly .NET, so they have no idea either. Considering the vacuum of experience, it seems to me that XAMPP will work just fine for a small corporate site. Unless there are other reasons (security, etc) that I should know about — something besides being “slow”.

Here’s a question — is there a solution similar to XAMPP (all-in-one package) that is more tailored for production environments?

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#8 2008-11-23 16:14:25

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

kevinpotts wrote:

The hosting / co-lo company is strictly .NET, so they have no idea either

Wow. Running installer is really hard for them? They should be professionals, and for them, it should be fairly easy. Maybe they should then change hosting provider, because it’s just a matter of running stannard installing procedure and then configuring inis.

Other than that, I don’t recommend to use Apache on Windows server, but Windows servers do have other good features and things it can do better than any other environment. But it can pretty fine run apache and php too, but those aren’t Wins best areas.

But you should seriously install the official PHP package, and not unofficial all-in-one-packages. Host provider should be able to do it, if it is allowed (or if they know how to install anything, and read instructions).

So, you should still install the real deal than all-in-one development enviroments (those can work out too, but meh).

Last edited by Gocom (2008-11-23 16:25:47)

#9 2008-11-26 20:56:38

zeusdidit

I’m running TXP on IIS. We had downloaded the main PHP and MySQL install. Then we just installed PHP and MySQL from the executable on the latest version of IIS, adding on some extra items that were required on the PHP side for image handling. The biggest constrain I had was setting readability to files. We are not able to run Apache and IIS, so you have to choose one. The mail handling works fine once we configured one of the the TXP config files in the main textpattern folder. It was a slight mission since we had to add some PHP extensions and create MySQL db and user since there never were any, but it’s working. In my opinion it was rather easy, but it took about 2-3 days to get it just right and permissions on folders is still troublesome.

#10 2008-11-27 13:36:19

kevinpotts

Thanks for all the responses. I am working through all of these issues and more with the client. I will report back on where we ended up.

Kevin
(graphicpush)

Board footer