Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-09-25 19:07:50

natalie
Website

Windows Server: Recommendations for installation and maintenance?

I have a client who is set to switch from a Linux/Apache combo to a Windows server. The timing is tricky because I’m in the middle of a proposal to move their site from a static one to a Textpattern-run site.

I’d like to be able to convince the execs that the Windows switch is just a bad idea and move on from there with the existing server, but I need more information for that. Their IT guy didn’t seem to have any idea if he could get PHP/MySQL to work on the new server and I’m no IT professional.

Then, as a fall back I need to be able to get TXP running on their new server if they proceed in that direction. I’ll also be maintaining the site myself so I’ll need to know any big hang ups that can happen going that route too.

So I need two things:

1. Resources which discuss Linux vs Windows in terms of PHP/MySQL, advantages and disadvantages of each, possibly even costs associated with running TXP on a Windows server, security issues, etc.
  2. Resources and tips on how to work with a Windows server and TXP both for installation and future maintenance of the site, problems to look out for, that sort of thing.

Your help is so appreciated, thanks so much!

Natalie

Board footer