Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-01-02 12:36:42

alexandra

Re: Textpattern's Shortcomings and Weaknesses - An Objective Look

Here is the newest summary:

• Permissions & privileges system: Multiple authors as working group. Being able to write an article with multiple authors, Communication and writing tools for multi-authors websites. Then, a revision system
  • Nested categories/sections
  • Category/section level that can be reflected in the URL structure, unlimited hierarchical levels
  • Organizing articles in folders/subfolders or some form of hierarchy within the admin area
  • Better images-, files-, links- insertions into an article
  • Improved archiving abilities (archive content several different ways like with categories, by day and by month) both in admin and frontend
  • Import x amount entries from one txp installation to another txp
  • RSS feeds for comments
  • Cache management
  • Improved search function
  • ability to break things out by date, to present content by date not only the archive
  • multi-language sites (a lang field in the article’s table (SQL))
  • a less whacky tab order, after hitting tab don´t get sent back to the top of the page.
Documentation
  • New TXP portal
  • Less scattered resource sites
  • Plugin lists: index list of plugins with documentation on version compability
Features to come with 4.1.0 according to Sencers post
  • Full XML-RPC support
  • A themes feature, swapping themes

One of the most asked feature is a Permissions & privileges system.
If you are interested, please join the discussion (Assignment: section permission design) over in the Feature Request boards section.

Personally i agree with Locutionist on refreshing and improving the TXP portal. First of all, it is out of date, not looking attractive at all and does not present txp resources in an approbiate way. Please compare Textdrive.com.

Last edited by alexandra (2006-01-02 12:40:48)

#38 2006-01-02 21:38:41

blumie607
Website

> alexandra wrote:
Personally i agree with Locutionist on refreshing and improving the TXP portal. First of all, it is out of date, not looking attractive at all and does not present txp resources in an approbiate way. Please compare Textdrive.com.

Of course Textdrive.com isn’t powered by TXP anymore…

bludrop studios .::. Creative Expression

#39 2006-01-03 05:03:22

Jeremie
Website

Most of it is still do-able with TXP.

#40 2006-01-03 10:22:06

Destry
Website

Alexandra wrote: Personally i agree with Locutionist on refreshing and improving the TXP portal. First of all, it is out of date, not looking attractive at all and does not present txp resources in an approbiate way. Please compare Textdrive.com.

I don’t think that’s what Locutionist was talking about. He was talking about a documentation portal that points to all the doc articles scattered around the world and back; but we already have that, the Resources Site is (more or less) doing that already (where’s that redo?). In any case, TextBook is where “authoritative” doc efforts should really be going.

As for redesigning Textpattern’s home site; yeah, that’s long past due for something fresh, and TxP is just fine for the job. I’ve always hated those cramped side columns with poor spacing.

Hey, let’s start a textpattern.com redesign competition. Ha!

Last edited by Destry (2006-01-03 10:27:36)

#41 2006-01-03 11:06:35

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

> bq. Destry wrote: As for redesigning Textpattern’s home site; yeah, that’s long past due for something fresh, and TxP is just fine for the job. I’ve always hated those cramped side columns with poor spacing.

Textpattern’s site appears to mimic the default template, different fonts but of similar structure. Should the Textpattern site be revamped, maybe this new site look can be used as the basis for a new default template?

#42 2006-01-03 11:17:32

davidm

Now that would be a good idea ! Just like the long overdue adoption of Mary’s txp admin facelift (which IMHO should be the new admin theme)…

Last edited by davidm (2006-01-03 11:18:08)

.: Retired :.

#43 2006-01-03 11:20:51

Destry
Website

I was just kidding about the TxP home page (though it does need a facelift); but I absolutely agree about mary’s admin facelift. It’s a no brainer.

#44 2006-01-03 11:30:16

Jeremie
Website

If asked, I’m sure the gang of four could get someone to redesign the txp website (not only the frontpage, there are navigation issue on other part too). Even me.

#45 2006-01-03 12:14:03

davidm

Destry wrote: I was just kidding about the TxP home page (though it does need a facelift); but I absolutely agree about mary’s admin facelift. It’s a no brainer.

Might be a no brainer (and on this I very much agree), but if so why was it not released along with the last releases ?
Something I’ve been wondering about, most definitely…

Jeremie wrote: If asked, I’m sure the gang of four could get someone to redesign the txp website (not only the frontpage, there are navigation issue on other part too). Even me.

Most of the time it’s question of time and/or skills, but now there is no excuses not to do it ;p

Last edited by davidm (2006-01-03 12:16:37)

.: Retired :.

#46 2006-01-03 12:30:18

alexandra

Someone opening a new thread on Revamping the TXP Portal ?

Last edited by alexandra (2006-01-03 12:31:05)

#47 2006-01-03 12:46:54

Destry
Website

Not me.

Dean and Co. know what they need to do (or not) for the mothership, and I’m sure it will happen when it’s so desired from above. Dean is likely not short of good design talent and help to get the job done when he wants to. There’s better crusades for members to take up.

Last edited by Destry (2006-01-03 12:50:09)

#48 2006-01-14 10:52:30

Mr_Cynical

• Lack of trackback. This has been a basic blogging feature for about three years, hell even haloscan will give you it
  • RSS 0.92. If I remember correctly, it doesn’t even have post DATES in it, thank God (or the deity of your choice) for Feedburner

Board footer