Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2005-12-27 17:25:42

andreas
Website

Re: Textpattern's Shortcomings and Weaknesses - An Objective Look

so long as that’s what they are, carefully considered, and as far as I can tell, things are moving in the right direction.

That’s my impression, too. And I a glad that the developer team seem to be just the right bunch who don’t rush in headlong. Careful consideration of new features and their impact on usability is very important, IMHO.

#22 2005-12-28 08:41:02

davidm

Hi David, can you give some examples on “extended capabilities textpattern does not have” ?

Three areas in which Drupal stands out :
  • content management : while txp is a great website management tool, it lacks in some vital area of pure content management. Drupal taxonomy module is a great way to organize complex content. Not to mention unlimited hierarchical levels.
  • rights management : full control over roles and permissions, and access to content
  • cache management : the throttle system is really something that can make a difference for high loads websites. Plus you have granular control of what you want prioritized there (which blocks and what kind of users have to get priority).

This does not mean Drupal is “better” than textpattern, just that it has more features in some areas. This being said, as I insisted earlier, textpattern has no rival when it comes to controlling design/the final output.

Last edited by davidm (2005-12-28 08:41:29)

.: Retired :.

#23 2005-12-28 12:47:49

Destry
Website

alexandra wrote: Why do you hope they never will be? What are your fears?

No fears. I just see them as two different tools in my kit. David just did a great job, as usual, of pointing differences out, and I’m just saying I hope these differences remain.

Think of it like this, mom and pop Web site doesn’t need a groupware system to have a few nice pages and run a news feature; for that Textpattern is great…I can build up to mom and pop’s needs using TxP’s easy building blocks. On the other hand, Drupal would be like hitting the nail with a sledgehammer, and I’d feel stupid doing it. With bigger jobs, however, I might take a wall down with a sledgehammer happily.

In any case, call me Mr. Natural; I prefer system evolution over cloning (though cloning has advantages in the agricultural department) ;)

Last edited by Destry (2005-12-28 12:49:42)

Wordworkin’ for you.

#24 2005-12-28 18:04:42

RussLipton

Did someone call for Mr. Natural?

I have many wishes (integrations with forum(s); mail post contents to subscribed users, etc) but only one serious unmet requirement: rights and permissions.

That is a major deal to implement simply and elegantly; if indeed, it can be done so.

I do feel this is somewhat orthogonal to the core CMS feature set and happily so; a separate architectural layer to itself. While it will complicate mucho things, I do not believe it needs to spoil the TxP-trademarked experience of designers.

#25 2005-12-30 01:04:31

Jai

I see lots of folk looking for better “Search” capabilities than Txp currently offers…

#26 2005-12-30 12:33:22

alexandra

Here a summary of what has been mentioned in this thread:

• Permissions & privileges system: Multiple authors as working group. Being able to write an article with multiple authors, authors being able to comment and talk to each other. Then, a revision system
  • Another category or section level that can be reflected in the URL structure, unlimited hierarchical levels
  • Organizing articles in folders/subfolders or some form of hierarchy within the admin area
  • Better images-, files-, links- insertions into an article
  • Full XML-RPC support
  • A themes feature, swapping themes
  • RSS feeds for comments
  • Nested categories will definitely be a major improvement
  • Cache management
  • Improved search function

Anything else?

#27 2005-12-30 12:44:08

Sencer
Developer emeritus
Website

Nested categories will definitely be a major improvement

Actually they have been available for months. :P You probably mean nested sections. (which will arrive with crockery)

Full XML-RPC support; A themes feature, swapping themes

Both of these are absolutely coming in the next major version (crockery).
XML-RPC may/will [I’m not really up-to-date on that] be released as a backport for 4.0.x as well (seperate download[?]).

(And please don’t draw any conclusions about things I did not say/refer to. ;) )

edit: I don’t want to interfer with the discussion, it’s interesting reading, and I hope my comment (which was only meant to provide some information) won’t turn this into a topic on what will and will not come in which version.
Just keep on with your discussion…

#28 2005-12-31 02:54:25

Jeremie
Website

Sencer wrote:
Actually they have been available for months. :P You probably mean nested sections. (which will arrive with crockery)

In the database, but not anywhere else ;) In think that’s what he meant. You could nest categories, but you can’t for example display a category tree, or more important display ressources (articles, images, files, links) within a category and its children.

I stumble unto this one with mostly every TXP website I do. Frustrating :p

#29 2005-12-31 03:06:07

Jeremie
Website

Alexandra, multi-language websites are also one of the most common request asked and/or debated. I haven’t had that problem, or need, myself but others have so I think I should mention it. A first step might be to have a lang field in the article’s table (SQL), so plugins authors might do some ground work exploring what can be done and how.

Also, I would like to expand a little about the multi-authors thing. Before the revision/versionning system and/or the privileges, one thing that exist on other CMS and have been really handy are tools for authors to comment on one’s another work (with an article’s validation system, it’s indispensable I think), and tools to guide new authors.

I won’t draft the full details here to keep the thread focused, I will post a full draft unto the Feature Request forum. But my point was it’s not just a “Permissions & privileges system”, it’s more like “Communication and writing tools for multi-authors websites”.

#30 2005-12-31 08:27:03

Destry
Website

But my point was it’s not just a “Permissions & privileges system”, it’s more like “Communication and writing tools for multi-authors websites”.

I agree. I also think calling Textpattern a “CMS” is erroneous. content publishing system, yes. content management system, not really, not by the traditional definitions and manifestations. I work with another community of people, STC, and many there work in large companies using very complex enterprise CMS systems…real CMS systems. By the shear fact of this thread, pointing out all that is supposedly needed, it’s clear TxP is not in the real CMS caliber of things, and I repeat what I said earlier in this thread — I hope TxP never goes there (it likely will not).

Last edited by Destry (2005-12-31 08:56:44)

Wordworkin’ for you.

Board footer