Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-12-16 03:09:06

kdix

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] wow_menu-Full menu control (order, hide/show items, subtree)

I love this plugin! I am encountering a problem, though. When I have several nested lists, it leaves off some of the closing tags <code></li></code> and will not validate.

Please see this page

<code>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Schools”>Schools</a>
<ul> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Public-Schools”>Public Schools</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Private-Schools”>Private Schools</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Community-College”>Community College</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=University-Center”>University Center</a></li>
</ul>
</code>

There should be a closing tag <code></li></code> after that- before starting the next part of the list. I don’t know how to correct this in the plugin.

It should be like this:
<code>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Schools”>Schools</a>
<ul> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Public-Schools”>Public Schools</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Private-Schools”>Private Schools</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Community-College”>Community College</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=University-Center”>University Center</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
</code>

Please let me know what I can do, other than typing it all by hand in an article.

Thanks.

#26 2005-12-16 13:46:06

oldi

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] wow_menu-Full menu control (order, hide/show items, subtree)

This is a great plugin. Although i have a problem with this plugin. When i am in the front page and click on one of the categories, it will show all the articles for that category without a problem. I am using <code></txp:if_excerpt></code> to show only excerpts. After i read an article, then click again on one of the categories, it will show me all the articles for that category, but this time will show me the full text of each article ignoring the experts. This happens only when i am on the article page. I am not sure what is happening. But it never did this when using the normal category_list tag.

#27 2005-12-16 15:54:24

oldi

Few things that i noticed about the above problem.

From the front page the link of the category is to

index.php?c=News

from the article page the link of the same category is

article/index.php?c=News

This makes the difference between showing only the excerpts and showing the the full text.

#28 2005-12-17 12:30:17

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@oldi
Hmm, this is difficult, and to be honest, I don’t know how to solve this in a clean way. Of course I could always use “/index.php?c=…” to prevent this, but I’d love to get a clean solution for it. Any ideas?
It was also pointed out before that it’d be nice if the plugin were able to use tidy URLs, but I also don’t know how to tackle this. I don’t want to mimick the TXP behaviour for formulating the correct links if such a functionality already exists – if anybody could point me to a function in TXP which renders the tidy URLs, this’d be helpful.

@kdix
Thanks for pointing this out. There will be a new release this Sunday which should fix your problem, but I’ll take a closer look at this, anyway.

There’ll also be a nice enhancement in the plugin suggested by alice_c – you’ll be able to decide if the parent category should be displayed or not when working with subtrees (start=”…”).

#29 2005-12-17 19:03:49

kdix

Looking forward to the new release nighthawk, thank you for replying!

#30 2005-12-18 20:52:48

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Okay, the new release is out. Updating thread…
@kdix, please let me know if this fixes your problem. If not, I’ll take a closer look, as promised. :)

#31 2005-12-19 03:38:04

kdix

nighthawk
Unfortunately, the problem still remains. I uninstalled version 0.4, then installed 0.5. First I needed to change your <code><A HREF and </A></code> to lowercase in order to get that to validate. You may want to change that in your plugin since I’ve had to do it each time :)

Anyway, it seems to break on the 4th level. For instance, the community page is still broken, but a page with one less level of nesting is fine.

I can’t tell from the plugin code what would cause this. shrug

Last edited by kdix (2005-12-19 03:38:38)

#32 2005-12-21 23:35:04

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@kdix
Sorry, I’m going nuts over this – I simply cannot reproduce this problem on my box. :( All the opened li-tags are closed nicely. BTW, from your description, it doesn’t break at 4th level, but at the 3rd.

The strange thing is: I always set /ul along with /li – there is not statement in the display code which solely places a /ul tag without then also immediately closing the previous list element. So, from a technical point of view, it is impossible that you get a closing /ul without the closing /li tag.

Can you send me an excerpt of your page code, please? Is it possible that you’re using more than one wow_plugin function call to display your tree instead of one, and that the opening li tag doesn’t originate from the plugin, but from your page code?

Last edited by nighthawk (2005-12-21 23:36:09)

#33 2005-12-24 12:20:32

kdix

@nighthawk
I encountered another problem just now when I tried to change the order of something and save the changes:
<code>New menu order successfully saved.
Warning: Missing argument 3 for displaymenu() in /textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(455) : eval()’d code on line 131</code>
I changed some category names and the changes show up in my “Extensions” menu that is created by the plugin. They do not show up on the actual page on the site. For instance, on the Buying a Home page I have changed the category “Client Gateway Service” to “Email Home Search.” I see it in the Extensions tab, click Save Changes, then get the error message above and still see no change on my actual page.

Back to my first issue, the code that I’m using to display the menu on the Community is
<code><txp:wow_menu hide=“68,70,83,99,105” /></code>

So that is saying to hide the menu for “Buying a Home,” “Selling a Home,” “About Michele,” and “Contact Us”

So when I try to validate I get a bunch of errors from the list.

My list of sections/categories listed under the “Extensions” menu that the plugin creates is as follows…
<ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=Home”>Home</a></li><li><a href=“index.php?c=Buying-a-Home”>Buying a Home</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=Active-Listings”>Active Listings</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=Our-Listings”>Our Listings</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-New-Custom-Homes”>The Woodlands New Custom Homes</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-East-Shore”>The Woodlands East Shore</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Search-Only-The-Woodlands-MLS”>Search Only The Woodlands MLS</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=All-Houston-MLS”>All Houston MLS</a></li></ul>
</li><li><a href=“index.php?c=Mortgage-Information”>Mortgage Information</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Schedule-a-Visit”>Schedule a Visit</a></li>

<li><a href=“index.php?c=Email-Home-Search”>Email Home Search</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Insurance-Information”>Insurance Information</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Essential-Home-Services”>Essential Home Services</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=1031-Exchange”>1031 Exchange</a></li></ul>
</li><li><a href=“index.php?c=Selling-a-Home”>Selling a Home</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=ProActive-Marketing”>ProActive Marketing</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=PGG-Performance”>PGG Performance</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=My-Homes-Current-Value”>My Home’s Current Value</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Repairs-and-Services-Directory”>Repairs and Services Directory</a></li>

<li><a href=“index.php?c=Centralized-Showing-Service”>Centralized Showing Service</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Neighborhood-Activity”>Neighborhood Activity</a></li></ul>
</li><li><a href=“index.php?c=Community”>Community</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-FAQ”>The Woodlands FAQ</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-Photo-Gallery”>The Woodlands Photo Gallery</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-Country-Club”>The Woodlands Country Club</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Schools”>Schools</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=Public-Schools”>Public Schools</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Private-Schools”>Private Schools</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Community-College”>Community College</a></li>

<li><a href=“index.php?c=University-Center”>University Center</a></li></ul>
</li><li><a href=“index.php?c=Taxes-and-Statistics”>Taxes and Statistics</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=Current-Market-Conditions”>Current Market Conditions</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Real-Estate-Property-Tax”>Real Estate Property Tax</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Appreciation-Rate-Charts”>Appreciation Rate Charts</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Cost-of-Ownership-Comparisons”>Cost of Ownership Comparisons</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Demographics”>Demographics</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=MCAD”>MCAD</a></li></ul>
</li><li><a href=“index.php?c=Town-Center”>Town Center</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=Entertainment”>Entertainment</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=Pavilion-Schedule”>Pavilion Schedule</a></li>

<li><a href=“index.php?c=Northshore-Park”>Northshore Park</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Central-Park”>Central Park</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Movie-Theatres”>Movie Theatres</a></li></ul>
</li><li><a href=“index.php?c=Market-Street”>Market Street</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-Mall”>The Woodlands Mall</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-Waterway-Arts-Festival”>The Woodlands Waterway Arts Festival</a></li></ul>
</li><li><a href=“index.php?c=Government”>Government</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-Governance”>The Woodlands Governance</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-Homeowners-Association”>The Woodlands Homeowners Association</a></li>

<li><a href=“index.php?c=Village-Associations”>Village Associations</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Montgomery-County”>Montgomery County</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=State-of-Texas”>State of Texas</a></li></ul>
</li></ul>
</li><li><a href=“index.php?c=About-Michele”>About Michele</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=Recognition”>Recognition</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Resume”>Resume</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Client-Comments”>Client Comments</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Team”>The Team</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Realtor-Referral-Network”>Realtor Referral Network</a></li></ul>

</li><li><a href=“index.php?c=Contact-Us”>Contact Us</a><ul><li><a href=“index.php?c=Email”>Email</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Phone-and-Fax”>Phone and Fax</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Skype-VoIP-Calls”>Skype VoIP Calls</a></li>
<li><a href=“index.php?c=Live-Chat”>Live Chat</a></li></ul></li></ul>

Last edited by kdix (2005-12-24 12:28:08)

#34 2005-12-31 15:50:33

nighthawk
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@kdix
Sorry for the error, this was my fault (forgot to pass on a variable) – this will be fixed soon, but shouldn’t cause a problem though.

Regarding the changes: You need to save the menu order once again after you have made changes to your categories, no matter if it’s names or parent-child-relationships. Otherwise, the menu plugin will not recognize the changes. If you did that and it still isn’t visible online, I wonder if you probably cache the site? From a code point of view, this behaviour isn’t possible because the plugin always uses the names set through Textpattern – it doesn’t store category name information of its own. :/

Anyway – the next version with the fix for the bug mentioned above will be out shortly. Even though I believe this is not related to the problem you’re mentioning, maybe you want to give it a try.

Regarding the validation: Please give me a hand here, because the HTML source of the page doesn’t look like it has been generated by the wow_menu plugin (it’s much too orderly for that ;). I tried the validation of your page, and to be honest, the response from the validator looks wrong to me. It mentions that opening “ul“s are missing, but this is not the case when looking at the page’s source code.

If there is a problem with the validation, I can only work with the code which has been solely created by the plugin. Please bear with me – I’m happy to help you out if there are plugin problems, but once you modify the code or use it in a way which I can’t analyze due to lack of access to your txp setup/page code, I cannot help you. :(

Have a good start into 2006!

#35 2005-12-31 19:31:46

kdix

@nighthawk

Well, the only thing that I have changed in the plugin was <code>A HREF</code> to lowercase <code>a href</code>. That is a trivial change in itself. NO other portion of the plugin has been modified. If you need to see this, I have pasted it here

The code for the menu when you look at my source is under <code><div id=“content”></code>. If you look at the Buying a Home list for example, you should see the following (NOTE: I have taken it into an editor and added carriage returns and tabs to allow for easier viewing. The problem area in the code will be in all caps – also pasted here for easier viewing)

<code><div id=“menutree”>
<ul> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Buying-a-Home”>Buying a Home</a> <ul> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Active-Listings”>Active Listings</a> <ul> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Our-Listings”>Our Listings</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-New-Custom-Homes”>The Woodlands New Custom Homes</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=The-Woodlands-East-Shore”>The Woodlands East Shore</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Search-Only-The-Woodlands-MLS”>Search Only The Woodlands MLS</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=All-Houston-MLS”>All Houston MLS</a></li> </ul>
THERE SHOULD BE A CLOSING </li> TO END THE ACTIVE LISTINGS SUB-MENU

<li><a href=“index.php?c=Mortgage-Information”>Mortgage Information</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Schedule-a-Visit”>Schedule a Visit</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Email-Home-Search”>Email Home Search</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Insurance-Information”>Insurance Information</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=Essential-Home-Services”>Essential Home Services</a></li> <li><a href=“index.php?c=1031-Exchange”>1031 Exchange</a></li> </ul> </li> </ul> </div></code>

Hopefully that makes some sense. It is not a problem with the validator, it is simply catching that there is no closing tag for the Active Listings sub-menu.

“If you did that and it still isn’t visible online, I wonder if you probably cache the site?”
You were correct, it was cached in Firefox, clearing the cache showed the correct results. Thank you for that suggestion!

Have a wonderful 2006 too!

Last edited by kdix (2005-12-31 19:35:28)

#36 2006-01-07 23:13:58

BZ
Website

this looks very interesting. but where can I learn about how to use it?

Diagnosis:
Version Textpattern: 4.0.3 (r1188)
PHP-Version: 4.4.1
Hosting: all-inkl.com

Board footer