Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-12-01 15:44:12

kimiko
Website

IP/host info in comment email

Hello

I’ve been using WordPress for quite a few months now but I’m using TextPattern as the engine for a different project.

One of the things I liked about WordPress when someone left a comment on my website is the ability to see their IP address and hostname as I use that information to ban the spammers from my diary (using .htaccess). Would be neat to see something similar in TextPattern. An example of how the WordPress email look:

New comment on your post #{articleid} “{postname}”
Author: {comment_name} (IP: {comment_ip} , {comment_host})
E-mail: {comment_email)
URI: {comment_uri}
Whois: http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput={comment_ip}
Comment:
{comment_text}

You can see all comments on this post here:
{permalink}#comments

To delete this comment, visit: {some_internal_wp_link}

I ban bots who spam my diary (I recieved 200+ comments in under 1 minute) and people who are visiting my diary only to troll. Sure, I don’t mind that people have different opinions than me, but there’s a limit. .htaccess has one banned user and 6 banned bots. Oh, and this is on WordPress running a different diary. One more week of tweaking and my new project should be available to the public.

#2 2005-12-02 04:01:14

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: IP/host info in comment email

There is no need to use .htaccess to ban comment spam. Textpattern has a built functionility for this. Look under the Content > comments tab. Click on a comment to see the details, there at the bottom, you’ll see ‘ban IP ?’.

In two nearly 2 years of using TXP, I’ve had exactly 5 cases of comment spam, all by individuals. No robot ever came thru. (that is not to say they didn’t try).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#3 2005-12-02 04:08:21

kimiko
Website

Re: IP/host info in comment email

I use .htaccess to give site-wide banning.. I have two projects.
TextPattern does have better spam-protection though.

I still think it’s useful information though.

Board footer