Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-11-17 09:00:09

davidm

[request] AJAX rich text editor

Even with Textile and quicktags (which I love ! Thanks Hakjoon and Mary), decent WYSIWYG editor are still being often discussed on these forums. Most of us have encountered resistance from some of our clients, who want WYSIWYG no matter what.

Even if some are better than other, browser compatiblity and tag soup markup are still plaguing those editor… A path toward innovation and maybe reconciliation with WYSIWYGs is AJAX. Forget the hype, the web 2.0 stuff let’s just say it can be helpful at times.

But enough talking, here is what brought me here : a demo of an AJAX based WYSIWYG editor.

I don’t know what it’s worth, if it can be used for textpattern, but it sure looks good from a user’s point of view… what’s your take on this ? Let’s push it a little : could we build a Textile AJAX editor with WYSIWYG ??? That would be awesome…

.: Retired :.

#2 2005-11-17 10:26:46

Jeremie
Website

Re: [request] AJAX rich text editor

Seems nice. As always with this kind of things, it would need to be adapted to Textile.

#3 2005-11-17 13:49:16

hakjoon
Website

From quickly looking at the code it still seems like uses the browsers built in execCommands to generate the html, which imposes the same restrictions as all the other editors out there. It is pretty neat how you can attach it to Div’s though.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#4 2005-11-17 16:08:11

tinyfly
Website

I don’t really see how this is any better or worse than editors such as tinyMCE.

I am using tinyMCE as a Textpattern plugin and have perfectly valid clean xhtml output. It doesn’t come that way by default. You have to do some simple configuration (which they have documentation for) to block certain tags and do tag replacement but it is possible. You can also apply it to divs or textareas.

#5 2005-11-17 17:14:12

squaredeye
Website

It isn’t compatible with Safari on a mac. All I can see is the paint bucket.
In FF all shows.

? for what its worth,

Matthew

#6 2005-11-17 17:58:15

davidm

Yeah I’ve gotten similar feedback from Mac users…

But hey, it’s only a 0.1 version it’s promising :)

.: Retired :.

#7 2005-11-18 03:04:28

hakjoon
Website

To be fair the plumbing required to make these editors work at all in Safari is really, really new. TintMCE’s ability to restrict which tags and attributes are allowed in content areas still makes it the winner in my book as far as web based editors go.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

Board footer